• Three Eyes likes this

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

Looks frickin' awesome! As that played out, I was saying to myself, I bet you anything they dropped Rush from the plotline....right up until 1:14 that is.... :)

• chemistry1973 and The Enemy Within like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Never heard of it, but it looks interesting and if Spielberg is directing, it should be pretty good.

• chemistry1973 likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

^^^ Weird that you've never heard of it.  Over the years, there have been some threads dedicated to the book and the future film.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

Okay, so far I've spotted Freddy Krueger, the Tron light cycle, the Iron Giant and the BttF DeLorean.

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:20 AM

^^^ Weird that you've never heard of it.  Over the years, there have been some threads dedicated to the book and the future film.

I've read a grand total of 1 science fiction book in my life and not seen many movies in that genre. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#7 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Should I be concerned that my inner pedant is questioning the validity of using "Tom Sawyer" in the trailer, rather than "The Temples of Syrinx"?

#8 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Looks interesting.  That red motorcycle looks like Kaneda's from Akira.

http://cdn.collider....ovie_poster.jpg

<A few hours later, after waking up>  Edit (from wiki):

As with the book, the film has numerous homages to the popular culture of the 1980s. Among licensed characters and elements used in the film include The Iron Giant, the DeLorean time machine from Back to the Future, outfitted with KITT from Knight Rider, the DC Comics universe, The Lord of the Rings, Freddy Kruger, Duke Nuken, the possessed car from Christine, the van from The A-Team, the modified Ford Falcon used in Mad Max, the monster truck Bigfoot, and Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira.[3][4]

I guess I was right... doesn't happen often.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#9 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

A few of those licensed things (DC Comics, Iron Giant) are owned by Warner Bros. anyway and don't cost them anything.  One of the plus-sides of massive media conglomerates that buy up intellectual property, I guess.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Should I be concerned that my inner pedant is questioning the validity of using "Tom Sawyer" in the trailer, rather than "The Temples of Syrinx"?

It would seem the intuitive choice I suppose but, after seeing how Tom Sawyer is used in the trailer, it occurred to me just how presciently "Internet" the song actually is. I'm talking about the tough attitude of the lyrics, the almost threatening vibe of the music and of course the menacing tech-dread quality of that remorseless Oberheim OB-X riff.

But I would love to see them use parts of 2112 in the movie itself, especially in that particular spot where it would make perfect sense to use them. Those who read the book know what I'm talking about. But it will depend on whether they even use that scene in the movie.

• chemistry1973 and The Enemy Within like this

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Looks interesting.  That red motorcycle looks like Kaneda's from Akira.

http://cdn.collider....ovie_poster.jpg

<A few hours later, after waking up>  Edit (from wiki):

I guess I was right... doesn't happen often.

Oh yeah. I thought that was the Tron light cycle. lol.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

This guy has too much time on his hands but he provides a great breakdown of all the Easter eggs in the RP1 trailer. Definitely check out the 7:15 mark.

#13 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Huh, I missed the Temple of Syrinx in the background.  Cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users