#21 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:33 PM

I've been disappointed to see a bit of a pissing match between Adrian Belew and King Crimson over performing "my songs"....  I don't have a lot of info but what I've read so far makes it look like Adrian is being a turd over the way the 8-man Crimson line-up was formed and is being paid which is why he was not invited to join this group.  In addition, he made some demands of King Crimson not to perform songs he claims to have written from the 80s which seems unreasonable, especially considering that HE plays tons of these tunes with his Power Trio.  I always thought of Fripp as being pretty pompous and self-righteous but his position on this issue seems quite reasonable and grounded in fairness.

Oh well... I'll try to follow as this develops and will post if I see more spit hitting the spam...

Rock ON!

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,573 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

^^^

I think Belew was the reason for KC's success in the 80s.  A lot of those songs were his to begin with.  I'm not sure where they would be today without the Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair era.

#23 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

Although not officially King Crimson, 1/4 of the line-up (Tony Levin and Pat Maselotto) plus Markus Reuter on "touch" guitar as the Stick Men played the wonderful little club just north of Detroit to close out their summer tour. There were maybe 100 people in the place and I was right up front...wow!  Great show and music!  The band hung around and I met both Tony & Pat, claimed one of the drum sticks that Pat used and got a photo with Tony.  It was a really great evening of true prog rock.  They tore up 3 different King Crimson tunes; Larks' Tongues part II, Satori in Tangiers and Level 5.  A really awesome night that I'll get to relive somewhat with my upcoming Crimson shows in November.... Rock ON!

• Casey likes this

#24 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

0903172148a_zpse7h0haig.jpg

0903171949_HDR_zps1luvtvsc.jpg

0903172120_zps43v2pler.jpg

• Casey likes this

#25 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Epitaph, In the Court of the Crimson King, Moon Child, Breathless (from Fripp's solo album, "Exposure"), Larks' Tongues in Aspic I & II, Easy Money, Level 5, Cirkus, Pictures of a City, Lizard, Fallen Angel, Starless, 21st Century Schizoid Man... this, plus a few others, was the Milwaukee set that I saw last night.

Wow!  Missing only "Red" and something from Starless and Bible Black but otherwise a dream set and (as if it were possible) the best performance by this band that I've seen... man, you all will not recognize me for my severely melted face...

Rock ON!

• Casey and chemistry1973 like this

#26 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

Ha! Just found this thread.

I had the privilege of attending the Ann Arbor show with Huge and must say it was an enlightening experience. I had seen different incarnations of KC over the years, beginning around '94, and this was the first time they ever really delved so deeply into the past. A hardcore, old school KC fan would love this set!

I'm not so old school when it come to KC, but thought the show was amazing. 2 things that surprised me were 1) how well the 3 drummers worked together, almost as if they were all using the same brain. The choreography between the drummers was something to behold, literally creating drums in stereo. I had seen KC in the past with 2 drummers (Pat M. and Bill B., iirc), but this trio of drums worked better than I could ever imagine. Harrison's skill was undeniable and he blew me away on more than one occasion.

The other surprise was how well the (re)addition of Mel Collins (saxophonist/flautist) complemented the music. It added so much texture and depth to the songs, and really made the older songs sound authentic, almost as if you were listening to the studio album.

I only with more videos from this tour existed online so I could relive some of the show again. I guess that's the one negative from these "no camera" shows (the good and the bad).

Thanks again, John!
  • Casey and Huge Ackman like this

#27 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

^^^

I think Belew was the reason for KC's success in the 80s.  A lot of those songs were his to begin with.  I'm not sure where they would be today without the Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair era.

I think they’ve resolved this squabble - and KC played an Adrian era song recently.

#28 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

I think they’ve resolved this squabble - and KC played an Adrian era song recently.

I have seen at least 4 Belew-era tunes performed and seen one more on published set lists:

The Construkction of LIght

Level 5

Indiscipline

Neurotica

Discipline

The dispute has been settled but I don't think that would have changed whether or not the current band performed those tunes or not.  The ARE King Crimson compositions, not Belew solo tunes. The band owns them, not A.B.  

In any case, the tunes with vocals all lack a little something because Belew isn't performing them, especially Indiscipline.  The current version has the lyrics being sung very melodically (with harmony by Levin, none-the-less) which just doesn't fit the dissonance and chaos that the original recorded version so brilliantly captures... 

• Casey and chemistry1973 like this

#29 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:49 PM

The Crims - no not the denizens of the continent of Fourecks - are touring the UK and Yurp again next year.

I got tickets for myself and Mrs S - dare I tell her there'll be no Lake or Wetton - to see them at Birmingham Symphony Hall. Bought tickets direct from the venue, paying fees of £5, if I'd gone through Ticketbastard it would have been fees of £18.

Roll on next November...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

The Crims - no not the denizens of the continent of Fourecks - are touring the UK and Yurp again next year.

I got tickets for myself and Mrs S - dare I tell her there'll be no Lake or Wetton 

I'd love to have seen them with Wetton.  Two of my three favorite Crimson tunes ("Night Watch," "Starless") are made (or broken) by his voice or lack thereof (and in the case of the latter, his bassline bubbling up under the sax), at least as far as I'm concerned.

(The third is "Discipline," which requires no particular vocalist, just a lot of...  discipline).

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

I got tickets for myself and Mrs S - dare I tell her there'll be no Lake or Wetton - to see them at Birmingham Symphony Hall. Bought tickets direct from the venue, paying fees of £5, if I'd gone through Ticketbastard it would have been fees of £18.

Roll on next November...

They'll be dead by then, for fuck's sake.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#32 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

They'll be dead by then, for fuck's sake.

King Crimson are a way of doing things

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users