• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

My latest Crimson experience has caused me to go back and experience their music again and I've discovered some gems. I'll post what I like here and see if anyone else wants to participate. 

It is true that the current lineup features four drummers, but it's misleading. The center drummer, Bill, from their last tour, has moved over to keyboards full time for this tour and they added a replacement for the center kit. There are still only three drummers playing kits. 

The 2017 tour is new and good recordings are nearly impossible to come by, but this video of Starless, with the 2016 lineup, shows a fine example of what the current tour is like. I haven't gotten this song out of my head since Saturday. Stick with it and you'll see why. 

Oh, by the way...Gavin is a monster drummer. We all know it, but the point keeps being driven home. 

#2 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:11 AM

An in-depth interview with the eccentric, enigmatic Robert Fripp on the historic Prog/Jazz television show, Mondoboffo, which began taping for public access cable in Los Angeles in 1979. 

It's worth watching the interview for Fripp's insightful observations about music, spirituality and even interviewing technique at the age of 33. 

It also serves as a referendum on how badly people dressed in the late 70s. 

Enjoy!

• chemistry1973 likes this

#3 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

From Tony Levin's BLOG:

https://tonylevin.co...pt1/denver-show

The show in Denver was just amazing...no surprise... with a number a great additions to the set compared to last week's Oakland show.  I experienced the only "negative" from a Crimson show when they performed Indiscipline to open the 2nd set.  Without Adrian Belew, this tune just isn't the same.  Jako's vocal arrangement was very different than the original recording and just didn't carry the same punch as A.B.'s spoken-word vocals of the original.  Musically, the song had a huge impact but the vocals didn't work for me.

Other than that, the band was in top form and the song selection made the night soooo worth the trip from one D- to another... Next (and last) is Masey Hall in Toronto on July 5... very excited to be in the front row fir that one...  Rock ON!

• Casey likes this

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#4 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

A couple of photos form the Oakland show on June 17.  Photography is strictly forbidden but I just could not resist getting at least one shot of the Mr. Firpp while he was performing.  Oh, and one of Mr. Levin for a friend who is a big fan of his work...  Rock ON!

0617172319a_HDR_zpsvknrui1x.jpg

0617172303_zpsuabw5hma.jpg

0617172210a_zpstf2hl7vc.jpg

• Casey and chemistry1973 like this

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

^^^ Reported.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

^^^ Reported.

Will I finally get some "Warning Points"?  I've always wanted some of those... :angry poke:

• Moving Target likes this

#7 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

It's very clever but doesn't grab me.

I thought I would viscerally hate it but I don't. I like Fripp's sound and the oboe.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

Is it kinda lame they played Indiscipline without Belew?

I think so. But just kinda.

#9 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

My latest Crimson experience has caused me to go back and experience their music again and I've discovered some gems. I'll post what I like here and see if anyone else wants to participate. 

It is true that the current lineup features four drummers, but it's misleading. The center drummer, Bill, from their last tour, has moved over to keyboards full time for this tour and they added a replacement for the center kit. There are still only three drummers playing kits. 

The 2017 tour is new and good recordings are nearly impossible to come by, but this video of Starless, with the 2016 lineup, shows a fine example of what the current tour is like. I haven't gotten this song out of my head since Saturday. Stick with it and you'll see why. 

Oh, by the way...Gavin is a monster drummer. We all know it, but the point keeps being driven home. 

Wow...  "Starless" isn't the same without Wetton.

Fripp really knew how to pick front-men.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

Will I finally get some "Warning Points"?  I've always wanted some of those... :angry poke:

Reported again. We can keep going.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Reported again. We can keep going.

Uncle...   :all hail  blue:

• Three Eyes likes this

#12 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

• Casey likes this

#13 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

#14 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

That particular KC song gave the sample to what is easily my favorite Kanye West song, and not just because Kanye talks about killing himself in it (excessively NSFW)

#15 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

A spectacular show in Toronto!  

https://tonylevin.co...t1/toronto-show

Mr. Levin seemed to think the band had a good night and I agree.  A slightly different order to the songs but essentially the same set as I saw in Denver... opened in YYZ with Larks' Tongues in Aspic instead of Neurotica which was a really great start to the evening.  I was quite surprised that I was the only body with a RUSH T-shirt on at this show in this place.  Can you find me in Tony's photos?  I saw myself in a couple of his blog photos...

Part of my special "Royal Package" ticket was a Q & A session with David Singleton, the co-owner of DGMLive.com and all things King Crimson, and meet & greet with Jakko Jackszyk from the band.  Both were really informative and funny and it was great to have a short amount of time interacting with them.  I asked Jakko if we would ever be able to buy a version of the PRS guitar that he plays on stage.  I was told that PRS is welcome to make any more of those guitars they would like as long as they pay to license the image of the record cover art from DGM.  I'm going to send an inquiry to PRS and see if it is an option for them to make one for me without breaking my meager guitar collector's budget....

I had a great time exploring Toronto while I was in town.  I looked at homes in Willowdale but it turns out that the market there is so hot, home prices are astronomically out of reach for me... worse than San Francisco, actually, if you can believe that...I took a subway train to North York and visited the Lee Lifeson Art Park again...man, this is such a beautiful place nestled in the big city.  I'd really like to find a way to retire there if I can manage the finances to buy a place... I also visited our company store... rode a bus to get there... This city's mass transit is really impressive and effective. I don't think you'd need to (or want to) own a car if you live and work here.

All in all, this was a great few days that was topped off by one of the great rock show experiences of my life! Indiscipline opened the 2nd set again and I liked the vocal arrangement better this second time around... And we did not get "RED" this time, so the set was different than Denver, as well as a changed order for those songs that were the same.

Rock ON!

• Casey, Three Eyes, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

#16 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

The Stick Men are playing a tiny club that I just LOVE here in The D-, on Sept. 3.  I'll be there, up front... cannot wait to see Mr. Levin and Mr. Mastelotto perform again...

Rock ON!

0617172210a_zpstf2hl7vc.jpg

• Casey likes this

#17 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Oh snap!  New dates added... one in Milwaukee and one in Ann Arbor!  That means at least one more K.C. gig on my calendar for 2017.  Anybody who feels like heading to the midwest for to see The King, my humble abode is open and available for lodging.  Come on out, won't ya?

Rock ON!!!

#18 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

Breakin' The Law, Breakin' The Law!

...filming a King Crimson show, that is...

Rock ON!!!

• Casey likes this

#19 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

Breakin' The Law, Breakin' The Law!

...filming a King Crimson show, that is...

Rock ON!!!

And it has been removed... Not surprised that official King Crimson played "copyright" to get it removed from YooToob... Dang... It was a good vid, too...

Rock ON!!!

• Casey likes this

#20 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

Oh snap!  New dates added... one in Milwaukee and one in Ann Arbor!  That means at least one more K.C. gig on my calendar for 2017.  Anybody who feels like heading to the midwest for to see The King, my humble abode is open and available for lodging.  Come on out, won't ya?

Rock ON!!!

I landed 4th row center for both Ann Arbor and Milwaukee shows.  Two more for my 2017 King Crimson obsession... woo hoo!

Rock ON!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users