Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Stunned, what a talent...

The 52-year-old musician was in Detroit where he performed with SOUNDGARDEN at the Fox Theatre.
Read more at http://www.blabbermo...KspsmWJX8Tyf.99

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#2 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

:( This sucks. 

howard.gif

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,200 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Terrible. Really talented guy. Certainly seemed like a nice guy too. Ugh

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

Black hole sun indeed. 52 is no age.

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Looks like they are investigating it as a suicide.  TMZ alluded to that.  Sad

#6 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

It's always unsettling to hear of the passing of someone I admire who is also about my age. This one stings and it's heartbreaking to know it could be suicide... :(
  • Bones and Moving Target like this

#7 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

At the tender age of almost 16, he rocked my world from the first time I heard Beyond The Wheel off of Ultramega OK. For all the great metal singers I worshipped, I just didn't know a voice could sound like that. And this version is even better......

I last saw them on a triple bill in 1990 sandwiched between Warrior Soul and Danzig at Airport Hall in Allentown, PA.

Badmotorfinger is perfection but I got off the train shortly after that. Let us never speak of Audioslave and I was down with the reunion while it lasted.

I blame Detroit umpteenth line.
  • chemistry1973 likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#8 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Rest in Peace Chris.......we'll never forget you.

• chemistry1973 likes this

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Awful. 3 kids too.

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

At the tender age of almost 16, he rocked my world from the first time I heard Beyond The Wheel off of Ultramega OK. For all the great metal singers I worshipped, I just didn't know a voice could sound like that. And this version is even better......

Like a combination of Jim Morrison, Robert Plant and Bruce Dickinson.

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Sad. Early deaths for a number of grunge singers now.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Officially ruled a suicide by hanging... :(

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Such a shame.  They were playing sold out shows, he seemed happy, at least on the outside.

#14 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

I've spent the entire day completely unsure how to feel or what to think. This is just devastating news.

#15 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:58 AM

It's unfortunate that so many great artists are haunted by such dark personal demons. That man create some incredible music. I wasn't really into Soundgarden much in the earlier days of the grunge era, but when Temple of the Dog really took off and Soundgarden released Superunknown I realized what an incredible talent Chris was. He will be missed. :( :( :(

#16 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Devastating news, Cornell has always been one of my favorites.  Love his songwriting and his singing, truly one of rock's greatest vocalists.  I've seen him live with Soundgarden numerous times, with Audioslave three times, and on his first solo tour.  Always phenomenal live.  I saw a knock at Audioslave above, and I always loved their first two albums, plus they put on a great live show.

Speaking of Audioslave, the first time I saw them was at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia in 2002, and I was going with some friends from my job.  At work that afternoon we listened to a radio interview with the band on WMMR and they said they weren't doing any Soundgarden or Rage material, so we hypothesized that they'd have to be doing some covers as the album was only about an hour long, and we figured Zeppelin or Sabbath were likely choices.  Sure enough at the show, they started blasting through the album, and about 3/4 of the way into the album tracks, Tom Morello plays some heavily distorted chords that took me a moment to process, then suddenly it clicked and the one cover of the evening was a very roughed up version of Working Man, Chris positively shredding the vocals.  Totally made my night.

The next time I saw them was again at the Electric Factory in 2005 as a warm up run for their second album, and this time they said they were going to embrace some tracks from their respective prior bands back catalogs, so the expectation of them doing other covers wasn't a consideration.  They did full band versions of a Soungarden and a Rage song each, the band did an instrumental version of Bulls On Parade, and Cornell came out and did a solo acoustic version of Blackhole Sun.  As the song wound down Cornell noodled on his acoustic a bit and then some very familiar notes started playing as he segued into the Soliloquy section of 2112.  Blew my fucking mind.

As one of those artists I've been following my entire adult life, he will be sorely missed.  RIP Chris.

• Greg, Three Eyes, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

• RollDeBonz, chemistry1973, SpaceGhost2112 and 2 others like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#18 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:25 AM

And coincidentally, that's the only live bootleg I can find if it.  I also scrolled some Audioslave set lists from that time period, and that particular show is the only one I found with it, April 29, 2005 at the Electric Factory.  I know he'd done lots of solo acoustic "songbook" tours, so I can't say if that's from the show I was at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users