17 replies to this topic

#1 physics

physics

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJerusalem

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:38 AM

Peart wrote a song called "Marathon," but there's no evidence he ever actually ran a marathon. That's ok -- he's using that event as a vehicle to convey other messages. I've found, however, that Peart's lyrics often express feelings I experience when I'm running, and I've isolated two lines from his oeuvre to try and develop those feelings in writing: "Every nerve aware" and "Experience to extremes."

My theoretical framework is a controversial one in Rush circles, but it's been my conviction for years now that it's the correct approach to analyzing Rush's lyrics.

http://runninginisra...ive-part-2.html

• chemistry1973 likes this

Free Ouchie.

#2 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

In the 70s and 80s Neil was doing a lot of psychotopics? wtf?? I have never heard that before. Is there proof of this or is it opinion?

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

Neil also wrote a song called Alien Shore, but we have no evidence that he has been to another planet. The big phoney!

#4 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

I'm surprised he didn't call it Snickers.

• Moving Target likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 physics

physics

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJerusalem

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

In the 70s and 80s Neil was doing a lot of psychotopics? wtf?? I have never heard that before. Is there proof of this or is it opinion?

Actual proof, no. It takes some reading between the lines, but not much. Until someone proposes a more successful theory than the entheogenic model, it's the one that needs to be embraced. By "successful" I mean a theory that integrates Peart's symbolic language, themes, motifs, allusions, etc. consistently and across the board.

Free Ouchie.

#6 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

Neil also wrote a song called Alien Shore, but we have no evidence that he has been to another planet. The big phoney!

He lives in California.  840 miles of Alien Shore coastline.  ;)

• Moving Target likes this

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

There has been some evidence pointing to cocaine use, and there was a surprising interview with Alex where he discussed how he and NP would smoke pot ALL THE TIME. Lol.

It seems one could come up with these themes under other substances, but the way Peart's behavior is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if he dabbled in LSD a bit.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

2j4zxc2.gif

007.gif?w=1000

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Rush doesn't do much for my running. I usually have other things flowing from the iPod. However, I have found that when trying to go to sleep early the night before running a marathon, with pre-race jitters keeping me awake....Tai Shan knocks me right the f**k out.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

^^^ I can never understand how anyone can fall asleep to music or the TV. I just end up focusing on what I'm hearing.

• Rick N Backer likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

The keyboard era is great for running.

#12 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

I'll qualify what I said to say "Most Rush doesn't do much for my running". I agree with you about the keyboard era...there are some real good "driving" songs. Good tempo to keep the legs moving. 

Most of GUP, side one of PoW, Analog Kid, New World Man, Prime Mover, Mission...

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#13 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

Actual proof, no. It takes some reading between the lines, but not much. Until someone proposes a more successful theory than the entheogenic model, it's the one that needs to be embraced. By "successful" I mean a theory that integrates Peart's symbolic language, themes, motifs, allusions, etc. consistently and across the board.

Well, I learned something today. Pot is psychotropic. How 'bout that. It looks like all three of them smoked pot or hasheesh. Don't know about other drugs. Is that the underlying explanation behind Peart's lyrics? I don't know. 

#14 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

There has been some evidence pointing to cocaine use, and there was a surprising interview with Alex where he discussed how he and NP would smoke pot ALL THE TIME. Lol.

It seems one could come up with these themes under other substances, but the way Peart's behavior is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if he dabbled in LSD a bit.

True but it seems you could also come up with these themes in any number of other ways not involving drugs

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

Given the times they came up in, I'm sure they all smoked pot most of the time, shrooms every so often, a bit of LSD in the early years, some coke in the late 70s-90s, and Alex's ecstasy experiment.  Back in the day, pot was a "gateway drug", it was weak and eventually a lot of people moved on to harder stuff.  Today pot is a "destination drug".  It's stronger and there are all sorts of crossbreeds that work differently.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Anything in 4/4 should be good for any kind of exercise, so most rock or pop will do. But I agree that some Rush songs, lyrically and musically speaking, do have that little extra surge to them; great if you're musically bent that way to begin with. 

While drugs can certainly enhance creativity to a degree I'm not so sure they had that big of an influence on Neil's lyric writing. The man is a big literature nerd and is famously driven to begin with so I'm thinking certain learned and innate behaviors have had a bigger influence on his lyrics.

#17 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

While drugs can certainly enhance creativity to a degree I'm not so sure they had that big of an influence on Neil's lyric writing. The man is a big literature nerd and is famously driven to begin with so I'm thinking certain learned and innate behaviors have had a bigger influence on his lyrics.

Exactly. I can't say if drugs did or did not influence Peart's lyrics but I can't buy into the OP's idea that they had that much influence

#18 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDC Universe

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

I missed Neil's lyrics when I listened to Geddy's solo stuff.  You can really notice the difference.  My Favorite Headache?  You gotta be kidding me.  

Geddy's Lyrics:

"Tried to be there, be there when you fall
Tried to make you feel big when life makes you feel small"

"A little more than this,a little less than that,
You've got magic in your hands"

Neil's lyrics:

"Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In between the bright lights
And the far unlit unknown"

"The snakes and arrows a child is heir to