#41 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

Actually watch the show before commenting. You'll sound slightly more informed when you realize the nonsense he's teaching is not the least bit scientific.

And it was a joke that the humorless atheists around here continue to miss; yourself included. I don't dislike Bill Nye; I know very little about him. The point of the post was to point out just another thing you anti-science progressives are doing to keep your unscientific deviant sexuality narrative alive. So no, you haven't surprised me in the least. Perhaps you and Greg might actually discuss the "science" behind Nye's assertion, but I won't hold my breath. It's never about the science; it's all about ideology. You're woefully transparent.

I watched the clip. All I saw was a really bad rap about gender fluidity / sexuality. What people do with their bodies is their business, not mine, and not the state's business either as long as nobody gets hurt.

The only way that this detracts from Bill Nye's credibility is his willingness to book substandard acts.

If you don't dislike him why did you call him a paedophile? Over here, making such accusations without proof is called libel and can put you in court. I don't find paedophilia funny as I know plenty of people who were hurt by it.

Now, if you were to frame this differently - pose a question regarding scientific research into gender fluidity, you might have got a proper debate going by now. It's a pity that Nuna and Wandering Hermit left as I miss their insight and clarity.
  • A Rebel and a Runner likes this

#42 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

Interestingly, Nye's show taught a more conventional explanation of gender in the '90s. But that's not what's trendy these days. 

Article with video clip from the episode in question.

http://www.theblaze....childrens-show/

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#43 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

It's a pity that Nuna and Wandering Hermit left as I miss their insight and clarity.

Yes, and they conveniently agreed with you on most things.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#44 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

A perfect endorsement opportunity for Mike Rowe! :D

Mud is now chic at Nordstrom...

Barracuda Straight Leg Jeans

$425.00 Free shipping (Aww, that's sweet of you.)

fakemud.png

Details & Care
Heavily distressed medium-blue denim jeans in a comfortable straight-leg fit embody rugged, Americana workwear that's seen some hard-working action with a crackled, caked-on muddy coating that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty.

#45 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

Interestingly, Nye's show taught a more conventional explanation of gender in the '90s. But that's not what's trendy these days. 

Or our understanding of human psychology and physiology isn't immutable, and as we learn more about the nature of hormones and developmental biology, our models have to change.

• RushDoggie likes this

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Or our understanding of human psychology and physiology isn't immutable, and as we learn more about the nature of hormones and developmental biology, our models have to change.

I suspect gender identity is more about psychology and less about physiology.

#47 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

I suspect gender identity is more about psychology and less about physiology.

We are ghosts in a machine. The two are intimately related.

• RushDoggie and SJS like this

#48 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

I watched the clip. All I saw was a really bad rap about gender fluidity / sexuality. What people do with their bodies is their business, not mine, and not the state's business either as long as nobody gets hurt.

The only way that this detracts from Bill Nye's credibility is his willingness to book substandard acts.

So quite clearly you're not the science-y type after all because you have no problem with the anti-science that Nye is peddling. I always knew the group of you were more science fetishists than real adherents to scientific evidence and inquiry.

Go read about Dr. Money, the father of surgical reassignment surgery, and how his unscientific views of gender destroyed the lives of his early patients. Then read about Dr. Paul McHugh the head of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins U for 35 years who spent more time than anyone else studying gender dysphoria and found that reassigning one's gender led to greater unhappiness in the patient and almost 20 times the suicide rate (and why? because realizing after time having your dick attached is actually a good thing). His studies found that 80% of pre-pubescent children who suffered from gender dysphoria self-corrected once they came through puberty; yet people want to give 4 and 5 year old's hormones to delay puberty and start transition, aided by the useful idiots like Bill Nye peddling this faux-science tripe to kids, damning them to a life of incredible pain and unhappiness. It shows all the signs of a mental disorder yet people like Nye wanna sing songs about the joy of cutting one's dick off. Charming and abusive. (The current evidence suggests than most trans people are homosexuals who have eroticised their own female image and have confused that with wanting to be that image. Rather than trying to merge the mind with the biological reality (changing the malleable rather than the immalleable), progressives look to alter the body permanently to match the mind (changing the immalleable rather than the malleable); the exact opposite of what should be rationally done, as progressives are wont to do in almost all areas of life).

And what about the growing group of "transabled" people? What are you going to tell them? They believe one of their limbs isn't part of their body so they have them amputated to feel whole. An arm or a dick; what's the difference really? If you hold to the modern gender nonsense then you cannot logically stand in the way of preventing people from amputating other limbs because of their "feelings". What about those who identify as animals or different species? What about headmates? You have no coherent way of affirming transgender people as legitimate without also having to affirm the psychoses of the other myriad of mentally ill and their feelings-first identities. It's complete bollocks and if you weren't so married to the nonsense I think you'd admit it.

So all you modern progressives aren't about science at all; you're about maintaining a certain narrative no matter the harm. So forgive me for not taking any of you seriously when you value feelings over facts. It's shameful.

If you don't dislike him why did you call him a paedophile? Over here, making such accusations without proof is called libel and can put you in court. I don't find paedophilia funny as I know plenty of people who were hurt by it.

Now, if you were to frame this differently - pose a question regarding scientific research into gender fluidity, you might have got a proper debate going by now. It's a pity that Nuna and Wandering Hermit left as I miss their insight and clarity.

And I don't find telling boys that if you just cut your dick off you can be a girl very funny either; in fact I find it as abusive if not more so than pedophilia. And yet you want to promote the former. Shameful.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#49 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Now Shirley do I get you correct if you think that Bill nye having a terrible rap about sexual orientation is anti science ?

And MT not objecting to it equals his promotion of mutilaition ?

#50 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Now Shirley do I get you correct if you think that Bill nye having a terrible rap about sexual orientation is anti science ?

And MT not objecting to it equals his promotion of mutilaition ?

Well my slow-witted one, the terrible rap is the least of the problems. It's the anti-science message it contains that is the problem.

Please explain to me how one can be pro trans and not support their desires to cut their dicks off? 

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#51 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Well my slow-witted one, the terrible rap is the least of the problems. It's the anti-science message it contains that is the problem.

Please explain to me how one can be pro trans and not support their desires to cut their dicks off? 

You know pretty much nothing about the vast majority of trans people, I see.
It's always funny to see you say flagrantly dickish things like this, though. Makes finding you repulsive and dismissing you as human waste that much easier.

• RushDoggie and GhostWriter like this

#52 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Yes, and they conveniently agreed with you on most things.

Well, it was nice to be agreed with by Nuna's V12 mind, but WH and I argued a lot. I still miss him.
  • RushDoggie likes this

#53 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

We are ghosts in a machine. The two are intimately related.

I was planning a much longer dissertation but, bam! This gets to it.
  • RushDoggie and Moving Target like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#54 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Go read about Dr. Money, the father of surgical reassignment surgery, and how his unscientific views of gender destroyed the lives of his early patients. Then read about Dr. Paul McHugh the head of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins U for 35 years who spent more time than anyone else studying gender dysphoria and found that reassigning one's gender led to greater unhappiness in the patient and almost 20 times the suicide rate (and why? because realizing after time having your dick attached is actually a good thing). His studies found that 80% of pre-pubescent children who suffered from gender dysphoria self-corrected once they came through puberty; yet people want to give 4 and 5 year old's hormones to delay puberty and start transition, aided by the useful idiots like Bill Nye peddling this faux-science tripe to kids, damning them to a life of incredible pain and unhappiness. It shows all the signs of a mental disorder yet people like Nye wanna sing songs about the joy of cutting one's dick off. Charming and abusive. (The current evidence suggests than most trans people are homosexuals who have eroticised their own female image and have confused that with wanting to be that image. Rather than trying to merge the mind with the biological reality (changing the malleable rather than the immalleable), progressives look to alter the body permanently to match the mind (changing the immalleable rather than the malleable); the exact opposite of what should be rationally done, as progressives are wont to do in almost all areas of life).

Oh my Gawd, actual science on this thread! Why not start with that instead of rubbish rapping?

So all you modern progressives aren't about science at all; you're about maintaining a certain narrative no matter the harm. So forgive me for not taking any of you seriously when you value feelings over facts. It's shameful.

I keep telling you I am not a "progressive", I'm a radical centrist. Google it.

And I don't find telling boys that if you just cut your dick off you can be a girl very funny either; in fact I find it as abusive if not more so than pedophilia. And yet you want to promote the former. Shameful.

The difference is one of choice. An adult who wants to change sex (or in a tiny number of case change one of their two sets of sex organs) is making a choice. That is their life not mine. Not my business to promote or interfere with. Victims of paedophiles have no choice, so they and the perpetrators are my business.

#55 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

People want to make this a binary debate, but that's not reality. Some people who feel like they are in the wrongly gendered body aren't mentally ill, but some are. Some people who medically change their gendered appearance by surgery and hormones will feel much happier, some who do so will remain miserable. I don't think you can take a position one way or the other unless you know the particular individual well and preferably have some clinical training.

I don't object to Nye's discussion of the issue because of the topic, I object because it trivializes something that is complex. It also gives a conclusion that is too strong given our ignorance of the issue. Both of these problems - oversimplifying and overconfidence - are two frequent sources of my disappointment with pop science celebrities.
  • RushDoggie, A Rebel and a Runner and Moving Target like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#56 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Oh my Gawd, actual science on this thread! Why not start with that instead of rubbish rapping?

I keep telling you I am not a "progressive", I'm a radical centrist. Google it.

The differance is one of choice. An adult who wants to change sex (or in a tiny number of case change one of their two sets of sex organs) is making a choice. That is their life not mine. Not my business to promote or interfere with. Victims of paedophiles have no choice, so they and the perpetrators are my business.

Good point. Regardless of the science, the political issues are somewhat separate. So long as a person is not harming another, or perhaps only harming themselves, why do the rest of us care?

The answer might be the appropriateness of opposite sex people in the same locker room, or it might be the cost of procedures borne by insurance pools, but if so, argue about that, not about what may or may not be natural.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#57 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

I object because it trivializes something that is complex. It also gives a conclusion that is too strong given our ignorance of the issue. Both of these problems - oversimplifying and overconfidence - are two frequent sources of my disappointment with pop science celebrities.

Yeah, Tyson, Nye, and Kaku are the worst about things like this.
There are some science popularizers who aren't that bad. Brian Cox, for instance, and of course, R.I.P. Sagan.

• RushDoggie and SJS like this

#58 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

Well, it was nice to be agreed with by Nuna's V12 mind, but WH and I argued a lot. I still miss him.

Nuna is probably the smartest person I've ever personally known and I do miss him. I do wonder where he lands on the Islam issue though. We might be in disagreement over that....which would be fine, of course. 

#59 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

You know pretty much nothing about the vast majority of trans people, I see.
It's always funny to see you say flagrantly dickish things like this, though. Makes finding you repulsive and dismissing you as human waste that much easier.

If battling with Ghostie has done anything for Reb, it's really honed his insult capabilities. (Might look nice on a CV. :)) He's nearly at the level of the master himself. lol. You are progressing well, Grasshopper.

• GhostWriter and Moving Target like this

#60 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

Nuna is probably the smartest person I've ever personally known and I do miss him. I do wonder where he lands on the Islam issue though. We might be in disagreement over that....which would be fine, of course. 

I don't think I ever heard him discuss it. The board is a lesser place without him.

I miss Hermie too. Even when we went head-to-head he always relied on reason and never stooped to righteous condescension. Plus he is smart, and backed up his arguments with both evidence and spectacular displays of world class profanity.

• Greg likes this

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users