• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quietboy

quietboy

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

Driving in Chicago a couple days ago I heard a radio review of the new Mastodon album (I think it was on WLUP) and they commented about it having more complex musicianship and composition. Then one reviewer said it "has an almost, dare I say it, prog-rock style in parts" and then followed that with " it reminds me of early Rush, and I mean that in a good way." Then the other reviewer said "Absolutely! I can still recall when I first heard A Farewell To Kings and it just blew me away".

I only heard part of the review and didn't have time to make note of who was talking. It might have been Jim Derogatis or Greg Kot. It certainly made me want to consider checking out the album to see if any of it rings true to my ears. It's always nice to hear rock critics willing to share those kinds of opinions on the air.

• scott14 likes this

#2 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

The album is amazing.  Just recently in another thread here I said that Mastodon may well be Rush's heir apparent.  They have the chops, the creativity, the diversity in style, and they've shown a similar pattern of evolution from album to album.  To me, their career up to now has mirrored Rush's Fly By Night - Permanent Waves period, and I also said they're somewhere around their Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures phase right now, reaching a pinnacle of what they've been up until this point.  Although a metal band, they are becoming more deeply melodic on the most recent two efforts than their earlier material.  I hear shades of ELP, Kansas, Black Sabbath, and Tool in their writing, with an occasional Rush (a'la La Villa Strangiato) style flourish.

The last track on the new album, Jaguar God, is a prog metal masterpiece; it reminds me of a modern day Natural Science in scope and magnitude.

#3 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

http://rushmessagebo...arent/?p=137153

#4 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

I have to say that I don't hear anything Rush-like at all in Emperor of Sand.  It is quintessential Mastodon (dense, pulsating, driving, angular heavy rock) but a long way from Rush.  That's not to say it isn't good...it is probably their best album so far, I just don't hear anything that might be considered ala early Rush.

#5 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I have to say that I don't hear anything Rush-like at all in Emperor of Sand.  It is quintessential Mastodon (dense, pulsating, driving, angular heavy rock) but a long way from Rush.  That's not to say it isn't good...it is probably their best album so far, I just don't hear anything that might be considered ala early Rush.

Definitely not saying they "sound like Rush", just that their career is following a similar arc, and that they're possibly the only current band to travel the narrow line of musical chops, evolution, and mainstream accessibility like Rush did.  And like Rush, they're a rock/metal band with progressive abilities and sensibilities rather than being a straight up prog band.

If I had to brand Mastodon, I'd say they're a distillation of Kansas, ELP, Sabbath, Kyuss, and Tool.

#6 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Okay, I'm with you then.

#7 quietboy

quietboy

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

The album is amazing.  Just recently in another thread here I said that Mastodon may well be Rush's heir apparent.  They have the chops, the creativity, the diversity in style, and they've shown a similar pattern of evolution from album to album.  To me, their career up to now has mirrored Rush's Fly By Night - Permanent Waves period, and I also said they're somewhere around their Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures phase right now, reaching a pinnacle of what they've been up until this point.  Although a metal band, they are becoming more deeply melodic on the most recent two efforts than their earlier material.  I hear shades of ELP, Kansas, Black Sabbath, and Tool in their writing, with an occasional Rush (a'la La Villa Strangiato) style flourish.

The last track on the new album, Jaguar God, is a prog metal masterpiece; it reminds me of a modern day Natural Science in scope and magnitude.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album, but I definitely enjoyed Jaguar God. A different sound (as it should be) but I like the creativity and focus of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users