Photo

What once in a lifetime things have happened to you?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

I've had one of the more interesting weeks of my life. 

I just got back from attending the final round of the 2017 Masters tournament in Augusta, GA.  I am a huge golf fan, and watch it nearly every week, and I've been to a handful of PGA or Champions Tour tournaments in my life.  But I never in my wildest dreams think I'd get to see the Masters, and on a Sunday no less.  However, I have an uncle who has been playing the ticket lottery for several years, and this year he scored Sunday tickets.  He originally invited my dad to take the other ticket, but dad's hip has been acting up (he needs a replacement) and so the ticket fell to me.  I have no idea how much the ticket costs, because my uncle is the definition of a gentile mensch, and wouldn't hear of it, even though he is a man of modest means and now retired.  It was a dream come true for me - I think there might be no other sporting event I'd value attending more - maybe the Stanley Cup finals if you could guarantee the cup was won that evening - but that's about it.

Earlier in the week I got a chance to meet and talk with Mark Kelly, a fairly well-known astronaut.  This caused me to pull out a folder of souvenirs I have kept from another once-in-a-lifetime event in my life.  When I was in graduate school at the University of Florida, a researcher in Indiana was putting together a research team investigating the effects on development of microgravity.  The protocol called for having pregnant rats on the Space Shuttle Atlantis, to be returned to earth around the time of birth of the pups.  (The mission was STS-66, and the project was Physiological & Anatomical Rodent Experiment, PARE/NIR-R.)  Because of the unpredictable nature of the Shuttle schedule, rather than bring students from Indiana, the researcher (Jeff Alberts) wanted a team of somewhat local students.  We all signed up immediately.  I'm a long time fan of the space program.  One of my souvenirs was the badge I used, with my name on it, to drive past the check points onto Cape Canaveral that only authorized personnel can do.  It was an insanely lucky circumstance.

What other once-in-a-lifetime experiences have I had?  It's increasingly looking like the semester in London I spent as a college student will never be repeated.  I got to visit London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, The Hague, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam.  (The latter 3 because of another coincidence - meeting a friend who'd had a Dutch penpal as a teen and who agreed to have us stay with him for a few days.) 

We honeymooned in Banff, Alberta at the end of ski season (I've not skiied since) thanks to the ridiculous generosity of my modest-of-means parents.

I once won some kind of award in high school (the details escape me) and so I met the Governor of Florida at the Capitol along with a handful of other award winners.

I was once a contestant on a local-TV game show and won $50.

Maybe some other things will pop to mind. 

My question:  what kinds of events have happened to you that, now that you look back, just seem incredibly lucky that they happened to you and not someone else?

• fast eddie likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#2 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

I was born :)
  • A Rebel and a Runner and fast eddie like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:56 AM

I talked to Betty Ford over the phone one time. Drug deal.

Nah. She called the dog rescue I was helping out at the time to ask about a cocker spaniel she'd adopted from them. Wanted to know what type of collar and dog food she should buy.

She didn't seem in a rush to get off the phone. I think she asked me what I did for the rescue, if I recall correctly. I answered the question, whatever it was, then thanked her for calling and sort of ended it. I was a little freaked, to be honest. lol.

Btw, she was quite kindly.

• SJS likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:55 AM

Those who know me know that I'm big into motorsports and I am on staff at Circuit of the Americas, which is a pretty huge deal if your roll in those circles.  A couple of years ago, Bob Bondurant (former Formula 1 driver) had his racing school at COTA.  I am a Lead Marshal there and part of my responsibility that day was working in pit lane.  So basically, I got to hang out with Bob and his wife pretty much for the whole day.  It went down as the most excellent day there.  

Then last week, Aston Martin hosted a private event at COTA where the brought 10 of the 24 new racecars called the Vulcan.  Several owners took delivery that day and others just had their cars there to hoon for two day.  I'm a little bored with the whole hypercar thing, but the Vulcan is really something special.  And having 10 of the 24 in the same place is got to be a once in a lifetime deal.  It was pretty awesome.  Lots of pictures and video.  

I've got others...great idea for a thread!

• SJS likes this

#5 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:32 AM

I once beat Greg Louganis during a sporting event.

(he does dog agility and when I lived in CA my dog and I once placed higher than he and his dog)

• Greg, Contentment, Three Eyes and 2 others like this

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#6 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

I was on the Art Linkletter show when in the 3rd Grade...also went to Antarctica 3 times, got to the S. Pole, too...
  • Three Eyes, chemistry1973, RushDoggie and 1 other like this
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

I was on the Art Linkletter show when in the 3rd Grade...also went to Antarctica 3 times, got to the S. Pole, too.

Trips you take in your mind while high don't count. Eddie. ;p

Seriously, that's pretty cool. What brought that about?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

just answered an ad in the paper that my wife pointed out...something about working 6mo in the harshest place on earth. Had to fly coast to coast twice to interview for a mechanic position. Worked in support of the scientists and got to helicopter out to remote outposts to set up/repair generators, pumps and such. And snowmobiles, the snowmobiles were a fun bonus test riding them all over the place. I'll post some pics in the pics forum, threatened to in the past but don't think I ever did...

• Three Eyes, SJS and MrSkeptic like this

#9 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

I was on the Art Linkletter show when in the 3rd Grade

Any video of this?

LYqbjSn.jpg

#10 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

Libs say the darndest things.
  • fast eddie likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#11 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

you think there's an old dusty film reel from that segment somewhere in CBS archives? It'd be priceless!!!

#12 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Got to see Rush front-row when I was in my teens. Won free tickets from a local radio station (well, I called, my mother held the phone and she technically won because of my age). R30 tour.  The only time I've ever been able to go because the fuck if I could afford those tickets ever again.

Got hit by a car as a pedestrian, flung 30 eet, and woke up as I came out of the MRI machine. HOPEFULLY that doesn't happen again.

Skied into a tree face-first.  Woke up in an ambulance on the way to Denver. Had the following exchange once I got to the hospital.

Doctor: A couple of your teeth aren't getting oxygen. I have to put them back into place.

Me: That's fine. How can you tell?
Doctor: They're turning black, so I need to do it right now, without anesthetic, and I need your consent to put them back into position.

Me: .. gulp. Alright.

He then proceeded to use a goddamn pair of pliers to yank my incisors back into position. Thankfully, I was still delirious from the pain I was already in and barely felt it.

Got the opportunity to ride Shamu (that orca at Sea World) when I was a wee lad, but pussied out. And they don't let kids do that anymore for safety reasons.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#13 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Shamu: "Umm, snack size".

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#14 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:46 PM

yeah, those were the days when a kid could jump on a fk'n KILLER WHALE!!!
  • A Rebel and a Runner likes this

#15 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

you think there's an old dusty film reel from that segment somewhere in CBS archives? It'd be priceless!!!

The museum of broadcasting in Los Angeles could possibly have it.

#16 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

...also went to Antarctica 3 times, got to the S. Pole, too...

Might have to post that in the "What 3 times in a lifetime things that happened to you?" thread. ;) Very cool though.

• baldiepete likes this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#17 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDragon's Triangle

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

I heard Hillary Clinton speak at the convention center and I met Prince William and Stephen King.  

Everything lost is meant to be found.” ― Lara Croft

#18 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I saw the pope on tv

Guidosarducci.JPG

#19 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

A classic

I've kind of designed a contest about the Popes. [holds up a large photo showing a close-up of the surface of a pizza] It's called "Find the Popes in the Pizza" ... All two hundred and fifty-four Popes, they're in here. ... And, what we're gonna do in about one minute, we're gonna put a close-up of this on your screen and, you at home, all you have to do is get some, like, wax paper, any kind of paper you can see through and paste it to your screen -- or tape it, whatever you want -- and all you gotta do is get a pencil and draw a circle around every place you see a picture of a Pope. And, while we're doing this-- 

Well, I think what I'm gonna do for the prize, whoever wins -- you know, finds the most Popes -- they'll get to have a button that I designed myself. I noticed on the tour, the best selling button was this. [holds up button] It says, "I Got a Peek at the Pope" ... And I designed a button that I think even more people can relate to. [holds up another button] It says, "I saw the Pope on TV" ... This is what you win. And now, I think, we're about ready. So while you're looking at the pizza for thirty seconds, I'm gonna play a cut from Pius XII's album. ... Here is Pius XII singing "On the Sunny Side of the Street" ... And now find the Pope in the pizza. Good luck to you. All two hundred and fifty-four.

• fenderjazz likes this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users