26 replies to this topic

#1 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

Spanked Kansas, and into the final 4!!! Dang, I honestly didn't think they had much of a chance...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#2 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

Just saw that the Duck Wimmens beat Maryland, too!!! Must be something in the water that is constantly falling from the sky around these parts...

#3 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,338 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Spanked Kansas, and into the final 4!!! Dang, I honestly didn't think they had much of a chance...

I didn't either, especially after they lost possibly their best player. 

• fast eddie likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#4 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

Didn't think to much of them in the Michigan game, but after that ass kicking they laid on the Jayhawks, you have to be impressed. Its going to be a hell of a Final 4.
  • fast eddie likes this

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#5 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

They made me feel like a genius.  I picked them to go to the Final 4.  A buddy looked at my bracket and said "I don't know about that Oregon pick.  Their best player got hurt."  Which was the conventional wisdom and which I indeed had not known.  Now I look good thanks to my ignorance.

It's been a very fun tournament, despite the personal heartbreak of the SC win over UF.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#6 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

Lady Ducks are goin' up against UCONN, too!!!

#7 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,338 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

Lady Ducks are goin' up against UCONN, too!!!

I don't think that one will turn out as well for the Duckettes.

• fast eddie likes this

#8 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

Duckettes fall in a nail-biter 90-52... Quaaaa, Quaaa, Quaaa...

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Duckettes fall in a nail-biter 90-52... Quaaaa, Quaaa, Quaaa...

Watching UCONN play these other teams is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters.

#10 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Suggestion:  in lieu of the championship game, take the 2 best players on UConn and let them pick teams from among the UConn players.  Blue vs. white for all the marbles.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Suggestion:  in lieu of the championship game, take the 2 best players on UConn and let them pick teams from among the UConn players.  Blue vs. white for all the marbles.

The sportscasters were saying that given the players, their practices are way harder than actual games.  They have to play themselves.

#12 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

I love reading the comments on ESPN after UCONN wins. Lotta bitter people out there. Excellence is a great intimidator. When I was at UCONN the girls were still playing in the old Field House, with lousy lighting and 50 people in the stands.

Hey...where's Perry?

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I love reading the comments on ESPN after UCONN wins. Lotta bitter people out there. Excellence is a great intimidator. When I was at UCONN the girls were still playing in the old Field House, with lousy lighting and 50 people in the stands.

They've come a long way.  They are the number one sports team in the state and their games always sell out.  A 111 game winning streak is unprecedented in basketball, and rare even in other sports.

https://en.wikipedia...streak_(sports)

#14 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

It's prolla time for the NCAA to go to work to increase competitiveness in this sort of situation. Once on top, getting the best talent is pretty easy, and a dynasty starts...limiting scholarships to championship teams might be a start...

#15 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,338 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:15 AM

It's prolla time for the NCAA to go to work to increase competitiveness in this sort of situation. Once on top, getting the best talent is pretty easy, and a dynasty starts...limiting scholarships to championship teams might be a start...

They get the same number of scholarships as an other school and it wouldn't be fair to single out a team based simply on performance. There are millions of high school kids who are good enough to play college sports but they can't all play for the same team. Sure, UConn will attract a lot of the top players, but so will many other Div 1 schools and someone from Mississippi may not want to live in Connecticut for 4 years to play basketball no matter how good they are.

#16 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:15 AM

Sure it would be fair, Skep, what isn't fair is for top schools to simply skim the best talent, and in the case of UCONN skim virtually ALL the top talent as their reputation and dynasty builds. Pretty much like the pro's have a process to even out competitiveness(with limited success) by draft positions, the Lottery, etc. Nothing extremely punitive, just maybe 1 or 2 less recruits per year after 2-3 championships in a row, something like that. This same sort of thing happens at the HS level, with top schools packing their rosters with the best prospects. Gotta be a drag for those school left in the dust...

#17 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Better yet, let's give trophies to everybody!!!!!

Hey...where's Perry?

#18 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Sorry to tell you eddie, but if the ladies don't lose this year, they're probably winning the next two titles as well.

Uconn almost never has the "top" recruiting class. Only 3 times since '95 has the nation's highest rated recruit gone to UConn. (Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Brianna Stewart). Coach Auriemma is simply the best coach there has ever been at getting players to play to their utmost potential. Every year, he invites coaches whose teams did not make the NCAA Tournament to watch his practices prepping for the tournament. Most of them come away stunned at how hard the practices are.

Excellence should be celebrated, not destroyed.

Hey...where's Perry?

#19 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Sure it would be fair, Skep, what isn't fair is for top schools to simply skim the best talent, and in the case of UCONN skim virtually ALL the top talent as their reputation and dynasty builds. Pretty much like the pro's have a process to even out competitiveness(with limited success) by draft positions, the Lottery, etc. Nothing extremely punitive, just maybe 1 or 2 less recruits per year after 2-3 championships in a row, something like that. This same sort of thing happens at the HS level, with top schools packing their rosters with the best prospects. Gotta be a drag for those school left in the dust...

They get the same number of scholarships as an other school and it wouldn't be fair to single out a team based simply on performance. There are millions of high school kids who are good enough to play college sports but they can't all play for the same team. Sure, UConn will attract a lot of the top players, but so will many other Div 1 schools and someone from Mississippi may not want to live in Connecticut for 4 years to play basketball no matter how good they are.

Especially in the middle-of-f'ing-no-where Connecticut.  UCONN is about as remote as you can get here.

College sports differ from professional in that the kids want to go to a particular college and have a good academic outcome too.  They don't all go into this having aspirations to play professionally and women in the WNBA do not make the kind of money their male counterparts make.  UConn has become a better school (it used to be everyone's safety school when I was college bound) due to the basketball program, particularly the women's basketball program.

It's boring for the same team to win every year, but again, the positive effect is the improvement of the entire university.  These days UConn can be as competitive as some ivy league schools to get into.

#20 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

You sure you wanna punish this eddie?

https://youtu.be/tp4mIONS51E
  • SJS likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic