11 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

If you're a fan of the film this is a must-listen.

Blade Runner is severely under-represented in soundtrack form. There are some official releases, but they are woefully incomplete, with edited tracks and missing compositions.

Some crazy BR maniacs put their own soundtrack together, mining the 1982 theatrical release, the 92 director's cut, and bootlegs from all over the internet. The result is the most comprehensive and atmospheric version of the soundtrack ever. It's the length of the film, and uses just about every arrangement in both 82/92 versions of the film, and the music is broken up with some select dialogue here and there (and it works). There's stuff in here that was buried in the action of the feature, and a lot of it is revelatory. 

It's beautiful and worth taking the 2 hours to kick back and listen to.

More info here:  http://www.vangelis-...=methode1&id=25

• Greg and timbale like this

#2 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

This really is a masterpiece.

• chemistry1973 likes this

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#3 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

For YEARS I've been in love with the soundtrack to BR.  It's fucking brilliant.  Thanks for this, I'm anxious to give it a whirl...

#4 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

for years the various 'Esper Editions' were the gold standard for this soundtrack

even the original Atlantic CD release (1994) left a ton of the more compelling ambient interludes off the plate - the Esper Editions have always been superior in that regard

the 25th Anniversary soundtrack 3-CD box set went a long way to setting the bar for an official release (and for those of us like myself who became enormous fans of Vangelis because of BR) that third disc is essential - it's an entire album of new Vangelis music inspired by BR

I wish the vinyl edition was more than a single disc, but I'll take it - the mastering is flawless and it's sublime to listen to it that way

#5 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

^ some of those things I just mentioned and some of the more interesting BR things in my collection:

MUE92T8.jpg

#6 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

this is probably my favorite 'extra' from the BR DVD briefcase edition - a print of Syd Mead's production art for the Voight-Kampff machine:

wu6tt5D.jpg

• timbale likes this

#7 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

This is really great.  Listening to it for the past 1 1/2 hours...thanks for the linkage!

It just about tells the story in music form...

• chemistry1973, timbale and ghostworks like this

#8 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

2017 sees the 35th anniversary of the original release of Ridley Scott's 1982 cult film Blade Runner. The original soundtrack, composed by Vangelis will be released on picture disc for the first time, housed within a die-cut single sleeve jacket.

Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2017
Release Date: 4/22/2017
Format: LP Picture Disc
Label: Atlantic Catalog Group
Quantity: 3500
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

#9 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

If you feel like waiting in line for what will probably be a long time to get it, sure. Record Store Day has become a potential money making opportunity for too many people who buy limited pressings that end up on eBay in a couple of hours.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#10 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

If you feel like waiting in line for what will probably be a long time to get it, sure. Record Store Day has become a potential money making opportunity for too many people who buy limited pressings that end up on eBay in a couple of hours.

it may be like that out where you are Skep, but up here in the Northeast it's completely the opposite

there haven't been 'lines' in at least four years at the record stores up this way

the worst you can expect in 2017 is 'a few more customers than usual' :)

I've already begun to see the bell curve of the 'vinyl renaissance' on its way down, especially at retail level - there's still plenty of fuel left but the bins (again, at least out here) are overflowing - it wasn't like that 5 years ago

there are RSD bins at each of the five stores I frequent that are filled with backstock that didn't sell - some go all the way back to 2013

the last RSD releases I was 'anxious' about were the Caravan singles (red/white vinyl) in 2011

I got to the store three hours after opening and.... there were a dozen of each

and even though there was a 'single copy limit' on the single, I was able to show the clerk at the counter the different red and white vinyl through the shrinkwrap and he let me buy two without a second thought

so - RSD 2017 will probably be a little busier than a normal day at the record store but otherwise quiet, and everything I'm looking for will be available even when I stroll in after lunch

I like it like this :)

• MrSkeptic likes this

#11 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Certainly not that way here, unfortunately. The last RSD I attended was the Rush - Caravan one and it was like kids scrambling for candy thrown from a parade float. People trying to wedge themselves in to gain access to the bins. I hope you get something good.

• ghostworks likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#12 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Certainly not that way here, unfortunately. The last RSD I attended was the Rush - Caravan one and it was like kids scrambling for candy thrown from a parade float. People trying to wedge themselves in to gain access to the bins. I hope you get something good.

me too

none of this stuff really means anything of course, it's just for fun

one time in the past when RSD wasn't fun I just didn't participate - saw the lines, changed my mind, found a local pub and tried a new Irish Whiskey (Knappogue Castle 12) which became a favorite instead

still a nice afternoon

• MrSkeptic likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users