47 replies to this topic

#41 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

But they still sounded like The Beatles and Rush.  That's the thing.  The character is still there.  The guy singing and playing "I Saw Her Standing There" is the same guy singing and playing "Helter Skelter" and "Eleanor Rigby".  It still sounds like him, bass and vocals.  Same for John, George and Ringo.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point here.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#42 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Looking at it from a pop angle, if I may, Goldfrapp were hella eclectic throughout the aughties, unafraid to defy audience expectations from album to album while keeping the quality high and avoiding any obvious creative misfires. While their music did depend a lot on well trodden genres they always injected their own unique Goldfrappiness into them.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#43 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

I think the genre of prog is really an odd collection of people who don't necessarily sound like each other.  Rush's music is like the heaviest of Yes compositions (Heart of the Sunrise, Roundabout, etc) with more of an edge to it without sounding too metal.

How do you list the "heaviest of Yes compositions" without mentioning "Machine Messiah."
That's about as "metal" as Yes ever got, for my money.

#44 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,340 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

^^^
Agree. I usually don't think of that era of Yes

#45 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Damn, that's some good stuff!

#46 Spirit

Spirit

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Boy I don't even think in terms of them having a heir.

In my musical world most of what I'm listening to is obscure. Bands like Analog Missionary and Chon. Both progressive. I suppose a mix of that kind of music, exotic jazz, classic prog/hard rock, and Classical fills the vacuum. 

The Holst Planets by AndrĂ© Previn & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has been a constant presence. The Who Tommy. And strangely Sammy Hagar who I've generated a grudging respect for both as a song writer and performer.

One of the things I appreciate so much about Rush is being able to stop listening to them for a little while, and return to their music- I always hear things I had not noticed before. The arrangements and harmonics are so dense.

So I'm not looking for a replacement.. Perhaps more for something compelling and new. Given my tastes that would most likely be something musically progressive.

Regarding YYNOT- that's just fun for folks like us. Though I'd be very happy if they could "make it" based on their musical style since the writing is so good. I'm not sure a sonic clone of Rush would remain relevant. Especially considering I fully expect more Rush music- even without a tour.

YYNOT has killer chops though. Back when I played music for a living I would have given a limb to have that bassist play on my studio stuff. Well.. ok not really. But close. Bass players like that are so difficult to find. 

Actually- the talent in that band, as a whole, is difficult to find. But that bassist is a rarity.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

#47 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:34 AM

I'm not sure a sonic clone of Rush would remain relevant.

I'm not sure a sonic clone of Rush can really exist.  You can be a sonic clone of an era of Rush, but certainly not of the band in toto, unless you're crazy eclectic.

Though one thing that's interesting is how eclectic modern artists (outside of the top 40, anyway, and even a few acts that eke into it like fun.) are becoming. 

#48 Spirit

Spirit

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:01 AM

I'm not sure a sonic clone of Rush can really exist.  You can be a sonic clone of an era of Rush, but certainly not of the band in toto, unless you're crazy eclectic.

Though one thing that's interesting is how eclectic modern artists (outside of the top 40, anyway, and even a few acts that eke into it like fun.) are becoming. 

Well- YYNOT has traveled through a number of Rush's sonic signature periods. So, in a sense they can.

But since those sonic textures are so known by us, we accept them readily. Kingdom Come is brilliant. Though I wonder how it's accepted by non Rush fans? Sadly- any opinion about that is anecdote. 

YYNOT is what you get when very talented musicians, who may not have reached fame level notoriety, show up to play. They are probably the top of that segment of musicians who "fought the good fight" but didn't get the fat contract. They show up and rip everyone's face off. That's exactly what I would do if I was still physically capable of playing at professional level.

Though admittedly... sometimes I hit an open mic and deal with the pain of playing simply for ego sake. I'm not ready to live with the echoes of old applause.

However, modern artists, the corporate ones, seem to me to be eclectic due to marketing and contrived image. That would explain why any of the "new bands" that caught my ear lost my interest in short order. If you embrace the over-eclectic- eventually no solid musical path is ever really created- that's the interesting part to me.

Sorry for being so long winded. I find myself very interested in YYNOT and the subject of the thread in general.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users