47 replies to this topic

#1 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

We talk about a lot of music similar to Rush around here.  With no new Rush music on the immediate horizon, given today's crop of artists, some new, some old, who is keeping the Rush magic alive?  Rush encompasses such a wide array of music, that sometimes you may have to think of bands which capture that particular period of Rush better than others.  I'm not talking sound-alikes necessarily.

For me, I'm a huge fan of late 70s Rush and Muse comes the closest, though on any day, Muse is about as varied as Rush too.  There's Muse I love and Muse I hate.

#2 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

It's weird, I haven't really been listening to modern prog/rock/etc. lately. Most of the post-2005 jams I spin are hip-hop, though usually it's what you'd argue are progressive hip-hop artists like Lupe Fiasco, Tech 9ine, and Kid Cudi, who do extended suites, concept albums, intellectually-stimulating subject matter...

dredg is cool in the rock scene, but I don't know that they'll ever be as big as Rush, Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy was a really disappointing album, and their sound is not as heavily Rush-inspired so as to qualify them.

#3 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

It's funny, I don't think "non-prog" fans really consider Muse to be Progressive Rock but I certainly do. They are an amazing band on record and especially live which is where Rush built their reputation as well. I think in 20 years they are going to be one of the most, if not THE most respected band to come out of the early 21st Century (if they aren't already). 

Sadly any other band that people would consider "Progressive" that would carry on that Rush banner are too niche to really come close.

I'd love to see a band like Frost* or The Dear Hunter become more popular as I think both are awesome and have a great blend of "Prog", "Rock" and "Pop" that is sorely missing in a lot of "Progressive" bands.

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#4 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

Well Tool would have been a wonderful band to take the mantle but 1 album every 12 years I think we'll see a new Rush album before new Tool material. I sure wish DT had songs because they would have been a perfect heir. Coheed and Cambria seem interesting but the fact of the matter is I'm stuck in the past and have immersed myself in archival releases of great old artists. 

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#5 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

DT hasn't released a good song since Black Clouds and Silver Linings.
They haven't released a good ALBUM since Six Degrees.
I say this as a fan.

Coheed and Cambria are too niche.  I feel like if Mars Volta were still around they'd be a great potential modern successor, at least if their lyrics hadn't been word salad.

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

I recently read Maynard James Keenan's book and in it he talked about Tool quite a bit and something that I latched on to was that Lateralus was the first record of a 3 record contract. I also know that there has been a lot of talk over the past few years about "legal" issues with Tool so the hope of that third record may be gone.

Some of the other band members have said they are working on a new record but when I saw Van Halen in 1981, a guy came out with a camera and huge landing light and DLR said they were recording for a live record and video. They released their first live album 12 years later, long after DLR had left/been fired. Personally, I think the announcement that they were recording audio and video for a live album was BS and Dave was just firing up the crowd. Hopefully the members of Tool who have strung us along the last few years, aren't doing the same.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

I recently read Maynard James Keenan's book and in it he talked about Tool quite a bit and something that I latched on to was that Lateralus was the first record of a 3 record contract. I also know that there has been a lot of talk over the past few years about "legal" issues with Tool so the hope of that third record may be gone.

Some of the other band members have said they are working on a new record but when I saw Van Halen in 1981, a guy came out with a camera and huge landing light and DLR said they were recording for a live record and video. They released their first live album 12 years later, long after DLR had left/been fired. Personally, I think the announcement that they were recording audio and video for a live album was BS and Dave was just firing up the crowd. Hopefully the members of Tool who have strung us along the last few years, aren't doing the same.

Yup that's precisely what dlr was doing. No tape inthat camera.
  • MrSkeptic likes this

#8 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:25 AM

I saw Coheed and Cambria open for Maiden in 2012. I'd heard of them but never heard them. I remember thinking the singer sounded like Dio. Then they finally played one song I recognized. It was Heaven and He'll. I guess he knows he sounds like Dio as well.

Hey...where's Perry?

#9 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

A recent issue of PROG magazine (I think it's issue #73 with Greg Lake on the cover) has a nice article on a relatively new band called Kepler Ten who started life as a Rush tribute band called R2.  I have not heard any of their original songs but the articles suggests there's a lot of Rush/Dream Theater influences there. 

• chemistry1973 likes this

#10 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

#11 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

I'm happy with Rush being unique.  They produced so much music over the years, and of a decent variety, that I don't feel like there needed to be more or that someone else needs to run with their banner (whatever that means/purpose that actually serves).

Of the bands I currently enjoy, NONE of them are identical to Rush.  But there are two that I think encompass some of Rush's strongest attributes...

Haken often have that prog heavy, '70s Rush era sound.  Some of their less heavy music reminds me of Rush's 1980s material. [arguably Haken is more so a clone of Dream Theater, who are the music nerd side of Rush]  Their singer is also a bit of love/hate element to their music, again similar to Rush and Dream Theater.  I think he's a perfect fit between Ged and James.

Big Wreck is the pure rock and roll side of Rush, with virtuosic guitar leads.  Big Wreck is later years Rush [post Counterparts], more focused on songwriting than musical gymnastics.  You can only imagine how huge Rush might have been if Ged sounded like this guy, instead of a castrated hyena.  ;)

• SpaceGhost2112 likes this
Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

For me, Devin Townsend is a candidate. The guy is all over the map genre-wise and can seamlessly mix and match multiple genres in a single song and can blend pop with metal and have it somehow still be legit. He's endlessly creative and a bit of a melodic and compositional genius, in my view. The hugeness of his production sound typically blows my mind. And to top it off, he's as funny as Alex.

But I don't think anyone replaces Rush. They are a genetic and environmental match made in music heaven.

• stoopid, Bones and sir clinksalot like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm happy with Rush being unique.  They produced so much music over the years, and of a decent variety, that I don't feel like there needed to be more or that someone else needs to run with their banner (whatever that means/purpose that actually serves).

Of the bands I currently enjoy, NONE of them are identical to Rush.  But there are two that I think encompass some of Rush's strongest attributes...

Haken often have that prog heavy, '70s Rush era sound.  Some of their less heavy music reminds me of Rush's 1980s material. [arguably Haken is more so a clone of Dream Theater, who are the music nerd side of Rush]  Their singer is also a bit of love/hate element to their music, again similar to Rush and Dream Theater.  I think he's a perfect fit between Ged and James.

Big Wreck is the pure rock and roll side of Rush, with virtuosic guitar leads.  Big Wreck is later years Rush [post Counterparts], more focused on songwriting than musical gymnastics.  You can only imagine how huge Rush might have been if Ged sounded like this guy, instead of a castrated hyena.   ;)

Liking both these songs. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

My vote is for YYNOT to take the helm. Play the covers, play some originals, rock the fuck out.

I think another reason I really like them is that they're not taking the whole prog thing too seriously - just taking a musician approach. It makes enjoying the music much easier than watching a tired tribute with a guy that wears Geddy glasses.

• fenderjazz, Three Eyes, GhostWriter and 1 other like this

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

^^^ They are frickin' great and Billy has serious songwriting chops.

#16 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

I guess it depends on what one means by carrying on the magic or passing the torch or whatever. I remember an old friend once said that he could get into almost any music that had some genuine thought behind it and and care put into the crafting of it. There are already many artists out there who fit that description - they're just scattered across various genres (not just prog) and don't sound like Rush. And that's fine, really - like stoopid said, I'm content to have Rush be a unique phenomenon. Let other talented musicians do their own thing and find their own weird stylistic mix, just like Rush did.

It's funny that, a quarter-century ago, that's probably more or less what I wanted to do - find the right people and be the "next Rush," LOL. I remember actually thinking, back then, that eventually Rush would call it quits (I probably expected it to happen sooner than it did) and Rush fans would be hungry for more of that kind of music in their absence. Now that it's happened and Rush have retired, the days where I wanted to do something like that are behind me. There will always be a little Rush in me (like a certain sass and attitude in bass playing from Geddy's Wal period that influenced me), but there are so many other fun musical areas to explore too.

• stoopid likes this

#17 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

My vote is for YYNOT to take the helm. Play the covers, play some originals, rock the fuck out.

I think another reason I really like them is that they're not taking the whole prog thing too seriously - just taking a musician approach. It makes enjoying the music much easier than watching a tired tribute with a guy that wears Geddy glasses.

Tribute bands, ie bands that seek to fill the exact same Rush roles, power trio, bassist sings and plays keys, etc, are doomed to failure.  It's best to do what YYNOT is doing which is to focus on the music.  We had a member a while back who was local to me who did a great job with his band, the drummer sang.  Mr Wal, I believe was his name.  Best to take the pragmatic approach and the female singer has the range which helps.  

#18 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Rush to me were only ever part of my musical diet. It's just that when they hit their peak I was in my mid-teens at a time when I was too young to have been there for the first wave of HEAVY bands - your Zeppelins, Sabbaths and Purples - and they have carried on going for almost all of my time since.

Of course we are now living in post-Rock times and I doubt there will ever be a band in ROCK who'll become even half as big as Rush. My latter day obsession has been Opeth - another band with a "difficult" vocalist - but they are now just recyclers of the 70s. A cracking live band though along with Polish band Riverside and Finnish band the Von Hertzen Brothers, three bands who - unlike latter day Rush - still play completely live. Something not many bands do today - hello Hevy Devy!

Other bands worth checking out are Canuck psychonauts Black Mountain - very loud live and very live too - Norwegian nutters Motorpsycho, Swedish Psychedelists Dungen and the likes of the very Welsh, very Psych/Doom Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - check out their Y Profydd Dwyll :)

I also go out to see three piece Rush tribute band Bravado who come complete with a Bassist/Vocalist/Keyboard player.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

^^^

You're right Nikk.

And Rush wrote pop-hits.

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Rush Hair Apparent

Alex-Lifeson-Dave-Grohl.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users