38 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

^^^ Wow. I had forgotten there were a lot of '80s songs that received extended dance edits. This thread just got longer. lol. 

Madonna - Borderline

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Madonna rocks the hell out of Borderline (with a purple SG, no less) for her 2008 Sticky & Sweet Tour.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Demo for Peter Gabriel's "That Voice Again."

• chemistry1973 likes this

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gin-l4LDdXQ

• Three Eyes likes this

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Probably heard this on the radio a few hundred times and not noticed that this is the 1981 version, with Gilmour, a drum machine, and a sax player. Apparently the process of programming the drum machine to an odd-time signature was difficult.

---

The song was re-recorded for the 1981 Pink Floyd album, A Collection of Great Dance Songs, because Capitol Records refused to license the track to Columbia Records in the United States. With the help of producer James Guthrie, Gilmour re-recorded the song, providing vocals and playing all the instruments except saxophone.[12] Parry again contributed the sax solo, reprising his role on the original recording.

David Gilmour re-recorded the track himself playing all of the drums[citation needed], (IT WAS ACTUALLY A DRUM MACHINE) guitars, keyboards, bass guitar and vocals and co-producing the song with James Guthrie. Dick Parry reprised his saxophone role on the track. There are some differences between the re-recorded version and the original; mainly in the saxophone and guitar solos and the overall use of reverb and Gilmour repeating "away" at the end instead of the high pitch scat singing on the original. The drumming is noticeably different from Nick Mason's, especially during the guitar solo, with very little of the tom-tom fills heard on the original.

• Three Eyes likes this

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Contains the original lyric, "Like a hobo I was born to walk alone." Hahaha. Yikes.

But it's one of the best commercial metal songs ever released, certainly amongst hair metal bands, at least.

#28 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Contains the original lyric, "Like a hobo I was born to walk alone." Hahaha. Yikes.

But it's one of the best commercial metal songs ever released, certainly amongst hair metal bands, at least.

Coverdale is well known for fuckery, so who knows why he brought the song back twice - possibly to pull a Sharon Osbourne and collect more song royalties. I like the self-titled album cut myself - it's a metal pop song—well written and performed, a ballad and a rocker. Brilliant.

The radio-single version, to me, is god-awful. Drenched in verb, no high note, not bad ass guitar solo, weird backing vocalists...

• Three Eyes likes this

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Coverdale is well known for fuckery, so who knows why he brought the song back twice - possibly to pull a Sharon Osbourne and collect more song royalties. I like the self-titled album cut myself - it's a metal pop song—well written and performed, a ballad and a rocker. Brilliant.

The radio-single version, to me, is god-awful. Drenched in verb, no high note, not bad ass guitar solo, weird backing vocalists...

I'll disagree slightly on the radio edit. I like the added background vocals in the "And I've made up my mind" section,  as commercial as they are. But the keyboards are '80s dreadful.

But the song is so well composed it works in all three versions for me. It would probably work with just piano and voice, too, although I'm sure hipsters would get a good laugh out of that. ;)

#30 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

I much prefer the original version. It was co-written by Bernie Marsden who I saw last year. Asked if he was bitter about being kicked out of Whitesnake, he told us he that when the regular royalty cheques for that track turn up he is not bitter about it at all.

http://rushmessagebo...ently/?p=131472

#31 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Madonna rocks the hell out of Borderline (with a purple SG, no less) for her 2008 Sticky & Sweet Tour.

Holy shit! :o  That was pretty bad ass actually!! 

• Three Eyes likes this

#32 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Holy shit! :o  That was pretty bad ass actually!! 

I know. I'd never seen her do anything like that. She's 49 or 50 there.

#33 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

"Athena" was originally written by Pete Townshend after an encounter with the American actress Theresa Russell.[1][2][3] After seeing a Pink Floydperformance on their Wall Tour, with Russell and his friend, Bill Minkin, Townshend was rejected by the actress when he attempted to romance her. Townshend said of the incident:

The song was written after I had been to see The Wall with my friend Bill Minkin and the actress Theresa Russell who was about to marry the film director Nic Roeg with whom I hoped to work on a new version of Lifehouse. I got drunk as usual, but I had taken my first line of cocaine that very evening before meeting her and decided I was in love. When I came to do the vocal on the following day [Feb. 15, 1980] I was really out of my mind with frustration and grief because she didn't reciprocate.[1]

Under the working title "Teresa," the song's name was changed to "Athena."[1] Despite this alteration, Townshend still felt the song was too personal, claiming, "It was just too revealing."[2] Roger Daltrey, however disliked the song for this change.

No, I never liked that song ["Athena"]. It's a great record. I think what happened with that song, it was originally called "Teresa" and then Pete was talking to me about Nick Roeg's girlfriend and how he fancied her, and that song was written about her - but then it changed into 'She's a bomb' and I think I've got a psychological problem with it. I listened to it on the record the other day, and it's a great record; there's so much energy on that thing but I still don't think there's a center to that song. The fact that he changed the title in that and didn't stick to what it was supposed to be lost its center to me.

— Roger Daltrey, The News of the World, 2010[3]

A demo for the original "Teresa" was first recorded and presented to The Who by Pete Townshend during the Face Dances sessions.[4] However, the song was not used until It's Hard.

On "Athena" Roger Daltrey and Townshend share lead vocals.[5] John Entwistle also adds horns to the track.[2]

• Three Eyes likes this

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

^^^ Fantastic. Roger's right. It was better as "Theresa." Although I'm sure Theresa Russell doesn't mind having a Greek goddess as an understudy. :)

Damn, Townshend's demos are effing great. Here's Squeezebox.

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Here's a cool one for me. Never knew this existed until a few minutes ago.

#36 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

From her 2004 Re-Invention tour. Not quite as rockin' as Borerline but still pretty fun.

#37 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,200 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

The Pete Townshend Scoop series of albums are really interesting.  They are mostly the demos he made of the songs as he wrote them or to show the band how to play them.

To me, this song, written about Roger's penchant for physical anger and Pete's penchant for hateful isolation just comes together with such emotion here.

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

#38 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Eddie Van Halen, at his house in 1974, briefly jams the main riff from Somebody Get Me A Doctor at the 4, 6, and 7 minute marks.

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

The Pete Townshend Scoop series of albums are really interesting.  They are mostly the demos he made of the songs as he wrote them or to show the band how to play them.

To me, this song, written about Roger's penchant for physical anger and Pete's penchant for hateful isolation just comes together with such emotion here.

That's a good combination. Don't anticipate any band problems there. lol.

Seriously, that sort of thing may have lent to their greatness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users