38 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Here's an alternate version of The Guess Who's "No Time" which, according to the You Tuber who posted it, is...

From the album Canned Wheat in 1969, this version of No Time has an extended intro and ending. With some great added riffs and a very psychedelic sound, this version came out a few months before the better-known version of No Time from the American Woman album.

The album version is 3:50. This version is 5:30.

Others?

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Well there's all of Vapid Trials ( © Nick Slikk) for a start.

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

^^^ Oh yeah.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

The single version of TSOR. Short and snappy.

When Geddy heard how they edited out Al's guitar solo he said, "Hey! That's a snazzy new Rush sound!"

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

I like this single version better than the album mix which is what became the hit.

This song, like a lot of '70s top 40 music, is a pretty big guilty pleasure that holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

Rooftop version of Don't Let Me Down

• baldiepete and chemistry1973 like this

#7 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Marillion - She Chameleon. The version released on the Fugazi album sounded like this.

The original version as played live a couple of years before Fugazi was released sounded like this.

• Three Eyes likes this

#8 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

• Three Eyes likes this

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#9 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Muscle of Love/Respect for the Sleepers

• fenderjazz and Three Eyes like this

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

Pete Townshend's demo for "Who Are You"

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:42 AM

Pete Townshend's demo for "Who Are You"

So many Who songs sound fine when Pete sings them.  We've heard just about all of them on his Scoop albums.  This one is clearly written for Roger's voice.  At least he's trying to sing like Roger on it.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

Jeez, does Pete sing like Roger or does Roger sing like Pete?

#13 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

I always thought the mood of this version fit the seriousness of the subject matter better.

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

#14 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

About the only difference is Gary Wright sings "I have just closed my eyes" instead of "I've just closed my eyes" and it is a bit more sparse musically.

• Three Eyes likes this

#15 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

I always thought the mood of this version fit the seriousness of the subject matter better.

I love The Police but can't stand this remake.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

About the only difference is Gary Wright sings "I have just closed my eyes" instead of "I've just closed my eyes" and it is a bit more sparse musically.

Cool remake. Didn't know about it. (Which is kind of the point of these threads.) Maybe it's meant to be a Dream Weaver with more modern keyboard technology and sounds but, ya know, the original '70s version still stands as a masterpiece even with whatever equipment he was using back then. This is still a great version though.

I also like that version of Don't Stand but I like the original equally to it. Sting uses ironically sweet sounding arrangements well. He did the same thing with Every Breath You Take, a song that's famously about a stalker.

• RollDeBonz likes this

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

The original demo for U2's Out of Control

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

Reinvented orchestral version of In Your Eyes.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:39 AM

"Lady '95"

Lady '95 is a 1995 Styx re-recording of the 1973 song "Lady". It was rerecorded as a result of a contractual dispute between A&M Records and Wooden Nickel Records. It solely appears on A&M compilations, most notably Styx: Greatest Hits, for which the song was rerecorded.

Background

The 1995 A&M Records Compilation "Styx: Greatest Hits" couldn't use the original version of "Lady" because the song was originally recorded for and released through Wooden Nickel Records (which also had a distribution arrangement with RCA Records). Because A&M/PolyGram had been unable to secure distribution rights to the song, most of the original lineup of Styx (Dennis DeYoung, Chuck Panozzo, and James "J.Y." Young) reunited with long time guitarist Tommy Shaw to re-record the track at Dennis' home studio, The White Room. They were joined by uncredited session drummer Todd Sucherman, who filled in for John Panozzo due to Panozzo's failing health; Sucherman officially (and permanently) joined the band in 1996, during the Return to Paradise tour, and is included in the present lineup. The track, which is very similar to the original, was titled "Lady '95". The recording of the track ultimately led to the original members of Styx reuniting.

#20 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Owner of A Lonely Heart Red & Blue Mix. There are several remixes but I think this is an official one.

Yes meets the Art of Noise, this is SO 1980's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users