Photo

John Wetton - so deserves his own topic!

King Crimson Asia U.K.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

John was mentioned in a generic obit thread in Current Events but he deserves his own musician's tribute here. His work with King Crimson was the single greatest contributing factor in my love of progressive rock, creative guitar and haunting vocal style... John was a master on the bass and had a buttery voice that moves me like few others.  His work with King Crimson in the '70s ranks among my very favorite from any single member of any band... I saw Asia perform a few years back and he still possessed all of his vocal power and range... He will be sorely missed... Rock on, John W.!

IMG_5211_zps08e828e2.jpg

• Casey, chemistry1973, Cygnify and 1 other like this

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#2 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:52 AM

• Casey likes this

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:16 AM

Saw him with U.K. 3 years ago. Fantastic.
  • Greg likes this

#4 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

I must admit to not being as familiar with his pre-'80s work as many are. Asia was my introduction to John and was all I knew of him for the first several years, until Asia threw a bit of King Crimson and UK into their 1990 concert tour (the one they did with Pat Thrall), and I began to realize how much he had done prior. I've always loved John's voice - it was pretty unique, his tone and diction. And he kept it and still sounded like the John of decades past right to the end.

Those of us of a certain age are reaching the point where some of the musical inspirations of our youth are starting to pass on. The prospect of all these artists getting old and dying seemed like such a distant future when we were kids as to be not quite real. Sort of like our own arrival at middle age, and eventually old age.

Always liked this song, and this is a particularly haunting and fairly recent performance of it.

• Three Eyes and Huge Ackman like this

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,587 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

I really didn't listen to mid-period Crimson, so I wasn't completely aware of him, like you DaveG until Asia.  I concur on his voice being great and ultimately that helped propel Asia to a wider audience than just prog fans.

#6 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hearing UK's Night after Night was an eye-opener for me in college. What a talent

#7 Cygnify

Cygnify

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

Loved him in Crimson and UK - and even Asia.

Robert Fripp's recent diary entry about his last visit with John was incredibly moving.

RIP John.

#8 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

Asia performing In the Court of the Crimson King!  YooToob will take you to some amazing places on occasion... Rock ON!

• stoopid and PhoenixBeard like this

#9 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

By '70s standards he was an average to good singer but he certainly had a lot of heart. By today's standards, he was Pavarotti.

• stoopid and PhoenixBeard like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 PhoenixBeard

PhoenixBeard

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the wind

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

I absolutely dig on his vocals on Sole Survivor - Love that song!

"And from the wreckage I will arise

Cast the ashes back in their eyes
See the fire I will defend
Just keep on burning right to the end"

• chemistry1973 likes this

eMQZykH.gif

Police said they confiscated over $10,000 in cash, five crack pipes and a baby alligator.

#12 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

I must admit to not being as familiar with his pre-'80s work as many are. Asia was my introduction to John and was all I knew of him for the first several years, until Asia threw a bit of King Crimson and UK into their 1990 concert tour (the one they did with Pat Thrall), and I began to realize how much he had done prior. I've always loved John's voice - it was pretty unique, his tone and diction. And he kept it and still sounded like the John of decades past right to the end.

Those of us of a certain age are reaching the point where some of the musical inspirations of our youth are starting to pass on. The prospect of all these artists getting old and dying seemed like such a distant future when we were kids as to be not quite real. Sort of like our own arrival at middle age, and eventually old age.

Always liked this song, and this is a particularly haunting and fairly recent performance of it.

What a wonderful song and performance by Mr. Wetton... I can't get enough of his work lately.  I will see King Crimson in July, 2017.  I wonder if Mr. Fripp will honor John in some way... Of course, if the set is anything like it was in 2013, that's quite a tribute in itself.  Many of the songs they performed were from the Fripp, Wetton & Bruford era of the band, my very favorite, largely because of John's amazing vocal contributions... Rock ON!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: King Crimson, Asia, U.K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users