Photo

Today's athletic shoes are either pimp or super gay. You be the judge.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Racist shoes are racist.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

His bit right at the opening about breast cancer is spot on. When you look at women's cancer deaths, breast cancer isn't even the first one on the list and as far as overall deaths, is way down the list. But by god, we sure hear about it every time we turn around. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't being driven by the Komen people the way DeBeers drives the diamond marketing. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#3 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:58 AM

His bit right at the opening about breast cancer is spot on. When you look at women's cancer deaths, breast cancer isn't even the first one on the list and as far as overall deaths, is way down the list. But by god, we sure hear about it every time we turn around. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't being driven by the Komen people the way DeBeers drives the diamond marketing. 

The Komen people are pretty shitty, actually.  I worked with a sorority in college that basically stopped working with them as a charitable partner because of the things we found out regarding where our fundraising from events were going.

It's a fucking racket.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:03 AM

Irreverent as hell, but he's got a point or two in there.  Us wearing ribbons or writing things on shoes, etc, doesn't change much.  Also, the shoe aisle is really intense these days.  There are a few "normal" shoes out there, more than he would admit to, but these rainbow, sliver and gold things seem to dominate this year.  The athletic shoe companies seem to be just focusing on the sneakerheads (sneaker collectors who line up for this stuff) these days and not people who just want something that will blend in with most everything.  I don't have occasion sneakers, I just have a pair, maybe two in circulation at a time.  I expect them to go with everything.

#5 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

I noticed today that many football players were wearing different color shoes. Don't know if that's becoming a thing or if it was for something specific. Kickers have been wearing different shoes for years because they're often oddballs but this is the first time I've seen that from regular players. One reason I noticed them is because one of the shoes is pretty brightly colored.

#6 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

Irreverent as hell, but he's got a point or two in there.  Us wearing ribbons or writing things on shoes, etc, doesn't change much.  Also, the shoe aisle is really intense these days.  There are a few "normal" shoes out there, more than he would admit to, but these rainbow, sliver and gold things seem to dominate this year.  The athletic shoe companies seem to be just focusing on the sneakerheads (sneaker collectors who line up for this stuff) these days and not people who just want something that will blend in with most everything.  I don't have occasion sneakers, I just have a pair, maybe two in circulation at a time.  I expect them to go with everything.

Yeah, the last time I went searching for a reasonably-priced, simple, comfortable pair of shoes, I was very frustrated with how long (and at how many different stores) I had to look to find something simple and functional.
I don't need a new pair of heavy-duty boots, I don't need a new pair of nice dress shoes. I need a pair of comfortable shoes to wear around the house or when hosting casual company. The fact that so few people are either making or selling such shoes was rather disappointing. It's a trend that hopefully reverses.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#7 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

Sneakers are for kids! Unless you're looking at something for a specific sporting activity, gentlemen of a certain age should be rocking an approach shoe about town when more formal footwear is not required.

I love my Scarpa Mojito's, great for casual everyday use and they've also got me up and down a 6000' peak on a occasion.

scarpa%20mojito.jpg?sh=500

They also come in a wide range of colours, so there's something for everyone, no matter the gender or sexual orientation favoured...

#8 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

Right. Hiking/mountain climbing shoes for daily wear.  :wacko:

#9 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:24 AM

Not such a difficult concept to process, with a bit of time... surely?   ;)

#10 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Do they have these anymore ?  (Geddy's Sneakers)

gup3-1.JPG

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

^^^ I hope not.

329e3617852be9a94c1a3f2684b7d2c7.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, most of what you see in the shoe department these days is pretty over the top. I really had to look to find more simple designs. Last pair I bought was similar to these.

Attached File  madden sneakers.jpg   28.78K   0 downloads

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

I bought my seventh grade shoes over again. Blue suede Puma Clydes

puma-clyde-home-and-away-pack-8.jpg

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

I don't mind da pimp sneakers at all. Of course I want to live in a world that looks like Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

#15 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:53 AM

Not such a difficult concept to process, with a bit of time... surely?   ;)

I have a great pair of LaSportiva approach shoes but I'm not going to wear them around town sightseeing. They're too expensive for that kind of thing, imo.

#16 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

Scarpa Mojitos are primarily for urban wear and cost about the same as a decent sneaker. Mine are nearly 2 and half years old and still have plenty of life in them, so good value for me, as I tend to wear out sneakers within a year.

I have a couple of other heavier duty pairs of Scarpa shoes and boots which offer more support for hiking and via fermata. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users