37 replies to this topic

#21 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

MP3 player with the largest hard drive on the market at the time (or ever ..)

i would nix the 'or ever' due to the whole "terabytes are the new gigabytes" thing

there's some 500GB to 2TB multimedia players on the market these days

not to mention the ones that have dual SD/microSD slots

Apple refuses to go touch screen on their laptops.

i respect them for this, though

mostly because touchscreens don't belong on laptops

These Mac vs PC arguments are largely irrelevant these days anyway.

yup -- most average computer users spend 99% of their time using a browser and web applications that run within said browser

you don't need particular hardware or operating systems for that

you could get a Raspberry Pi, stick Raspbian or some other slim Linux distro on it and install Firefox or whatever browser you like

then glue it to the back of a monitor and you have something that resembles an iMac -- but is way cheaper
for more information please reread

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:47 PM

i respect them for this, though

mostly because touchscreens don't belong on laptops

Why's that?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Why's that?

because when i'm looking for a laptop, i don't want a tablet

that's why poke2.gif

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

because when i'm looking for a laptop, i don't want a tablet

that's why poke2.gif

Oh so not a valid reason then. :)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:19 PM

Screw the Mac/PC debate. Let's argue over touch screen/no touch screen.

#26 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

At one time I would've said no to the touch screen. I find the good old fashioned mouse to be super intuitive and a great tool (another strike against Apple, the stubborn refusal to fully embrace it). However, I've lately been convinced of some superior uses of the touch screen, for example, in grading papers or creating digital art.

If I can keep the mouse, the touch screen provides added benefit for certain applications.
  • Three Eyes, DarthLen and A Rebel and a Runner like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:33 AM

^^^ That's exactly my view on it. 

#28 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

Anyone here still buying Apple products?

Yep, this summer I got an iPad which I love, and a Windows 10 PC which I hate.  Should have stumped up for a MacBook of some sort.

#29 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Screw the Mac/PC debate. Let's argue over touch screen/no touch screen.

Yes, good one.

They are not well-adopted in corporate IT, I can certainly tell you that.  Touch screens are special purpose.  Good for filling in forms, selecting things.

Most people's judgement of touch screens come from very bad touch screens.  The best ones, like on an iPad, iPhone or Surface Pro, are great.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

#30 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Most people's judgement of touch screens come from very bad touch screens.

doesn't make a difference to me

no matter how accurate, it is an input device that requires you to smear your greasy fingers all over the screen

at lack of a cure for OCD tendencies and/or a partial lobotomy, i will never appreciate them

and i am certain that i'm not the only one who feels this way

though, i'm not saying i'd spend a mint on a Mac to avoid a touchscreen, even if they became standard on non-Apple laptops

that would be insane

i mean, you can buy a used car for the price of a Mac

#31 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Shared touch screens smeared with fingerprints from multiple individuals, on the other hand, could give new meaning to the term "computer virus"...
  • Three Eyes and Moving Target like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#32 The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

I have to agree with GW on the Mac front!

My late 2008 MacBook Pro is still going strong. It started to get really sluggish when I  originally installed El Capitan (OSX 10.11) in 2015 and I thought I was in the market for a new laptop, a replacement SDD and RAM upgrade at the start of this year have given it a new lease of life. Hopefully it will serve me well for a while longer!

• GhostWriter likes this

#33 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

Shared touch screens smeared with fingerprints from multiple individuals, on the other hand, could give new meaning to the term "computer virus"...

I got rectal herpes from a touch screen.
Don't ask.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#34 Boots

Boots

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDragon's Triangle

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Anyone here still buying Apple products?

Not lately.  My cell phone is a Samsung and my laptop is a Toshiba.  

Everything lost is meant to be found.” ― Lara Croft

#35 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

I have a 4th gen iPod, bought several years ago, for the same reason Rebel did.  I also use an iPhone 6, but that is provided to me from work, so I don't/didn't pay anything for it.

Don't use a laptop - they're too confining for me.  My home-built PC is several years old at this point, but still works well enough for what I use it for.  Gaming (can still play modern games at high settings - at 1080, the limit of my monitor - with no issue), 3D modeling and animation, watching BR movies, and so on.  The flexibility of being able to upgrade (or build from scratch) a PC is a huge win for the PC over an Apple product, IMO.

Really due for an upgrade, but other things come first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#36 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

I still like the phone. The rest not so much. I feel they are becoming more Dell-like. A follower rather than a leader.

#37 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

I still like the phone. The rest not so much. I feel they are becoming more Dell-like. A follower rather than a leader.

They only led when Jobs was at the helm. He had a knack for seeing niches that needed to be filled and essentially inventing new product types (or taking obscure product types and making them sexy for the masses, like with MP3 players two decades ago).

Apple can't compete when it comes to making a product of similar quality to their competitors.  They have to win on brand loyalty/prestige, rather than product quality, like any other luxury brand.
Speaking of...  

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#38 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

They only led when Jobs was at the helm. He had a knack for seeing niches that needed to be filled and essentially inventing new product types (or taking obscure product types and making them sexy for the masses, like with MP3 players two decades ago).

Apple can't compete when it comes to making a product of similar quality to their competitors.  They have to win on brand loyalty/prestige, rather than product quality, like any other luxury brand.
Speaking of...  

Apple wins on design primarily.  Ergonomics.  Ease of use.  The problem is the design capabilities or at least evaluating and judging designs went out when Steve died.  The watch was a reaction to fitbit, the ipad a reaction to Windows Tablet PC, the phone morphs and changes a reaction to Samsung, the stupid toolbars on the Mac OS a reaction to Windows 10.  When Jobs was alive, Apple didn't react to anything, people reacted to them.

I do think the designs of the Samsung phones are flawed.  They don't flow the way Apple flowed, or used to.  Another complicating factor with the phones on all sides is Mobile Device Management (MDM).  It's how they make these corporate phones.  By appealing to that market, they just about decimated RIM (Blackberry) but it changed the phone OSes for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users