37 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

Anyone here still buying Apple products?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

Bazillions of people. Most of them because of the name and the little symbol and because they think it's a better computer.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:36 PM

At one time Apple may have been better than Windows PCs and Android phones but it seems to me that gap is all but nonexistent now. And when you consider Apple's price tags...

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:11 AM

Not much I can disagree with there...

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:53 AM

Something else I can't disagree with. His commentary here is more socioeconomic in nature. TG is probably a better fit.

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:10 AM

At one time Apple may have been better than Windows PCs and Android phones but it seems to me that gap is all but nonexistent now. And when you consider Apple's price tags...

It's like they're trying to piss off their customers or see just how far they can push before they get some push back. Now people who spend $1300 on an entry level laptop, will also have to buy an adapter or adapters, so they can used a flash drive or printer, or millions of other things that have a USB connection. WTH?

• Three Eyes likes this

#7 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:15 AM

I have ONE Apple product.  A 3rd- or 4th-generation iPod that I've had for about 8 years, because it was the MP3 player with the largest hard drive on the market at the time (or ever, I think, 120 gig) that wasn't a Zune, and lol Zune.
I have NEVER owned another Apple product, of which I am glad.

• Three Eyes likes this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#8 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:40 AM

I really enjoy my iPad mini. I'm a reasonably savvy computer user, but I feel helpless sitting at a Mac. Never understood the appeal. Cut my teeth on an Apple II, like a lot of people my age, but since Windows 3.1 I've been in the PC camp. Macs always seemed limiting, and PCs endlessly configurable.

From afar I can appreciate the tremendous innovativeness of the iPhone, but I've never felt the need for anything but a land line. I don't like texting or calling people, and everything else an iPhone would do my iPad does on a larger screen.
  • Three Eyes likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:01 AM

The only time I ever could have used a Mac was back in the early 2000s when I was recording original music onto a PC. Macs really were ahead of the game back then in music production. Now PCs work just fine for multi-track production given you have one that's souped up enough. 

#10 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

I use two PC's at work and Apple at home. Mac OSX is far more stable in my experience and a far superior user experience. Can't view the video in the OP at work, however, so not sure of the specific complaints. (I don't like the near impossibility of configuring or upgrading Apple hardware down the road).

I guess I'm the contrarian in every thread.

• The Enemy Within likes this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

I think the latest move, a toolbar on the Macbook Pro will have Steve Jobs spinning in his grave.  Apple products are intuitive.  The idea that you can just pick something up and work is a good thing.  I don't require that, but a lot of people do.  They should stick to this.  

Apple's biggest problem right now is that Microsoft has a killer tablet/hybrid that is more Apple than Apple.  The Surface Pro and Surface Book absolutely are the most innovative computers out there now.  Windows 10 is a great OS as well as since it is the "last Windows OS" that will be evergreen through Windows Update, you won't have to think about your OS ever again.  Another move from the original Apple playbook.

Apple today wants to be the simple well-designed product company it always was plus now interjecting competitive complexity to expand their market.  This is starting to look like the John Scully years where Apple just made boxes.  As a consumer I want Apple appliances and Microsoft/Linux computers.  The more money I put into a purchase, the longer the lifecycle and flexibility I expect.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

He's not completely anti-Apple though as this video shows (from 11 months ago though).

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

I use two PC's at work and Apple at home. Mac OSX is far more stable in my experience and a far superior user experience. Can't view the video in the OP at work, however, so not sure of the specific complaints. (I don't like the near impossibility of configuring or upgrading Apple hardware down the road).

I guess I'm the contrarian in every thread.

Under powered. Overpriced. Elimination of features, reducing functionality. Apple refuses to go touch screen on their laptops. You now need adapters to plug in USB cords. The SD card slot has been eliminated. Form over function. At least they didn't get rid of the headphone jack like they did on the iPhone 7.

• MrSkeptic and GhostWriter like this

#14 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

Under powered. Overpriced. Eliminating features, reducing functionality. Apple refuses to go touch screen on their laptops. You now need adapters to plug in USB cords. The SD card slot has been eliminated. Form over function. At least they didn't get rid of the headphone jack like they did on the iPhone 7.

It's interesting. I do a lot of photography and work in photoshop and the last thing I want is a touch screen; I'm always using wipes to make sure the screen is pristine. I was disappointed with the removal of the SD card but will just do more transfers wirelessly now. And for the applications that have it, the touchbar is a great innovation. I guess it all depends what the end use is primarily for.

• Three Eyes and The Enemy Within like this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

It's interesting. I do a lot of photography and work in photoshop and the last thing I want is a touch screen; I'm always using wipes to make sure the screen is pristine. I was disappointed with the removal of the SD card but will just do more transfers wirelessly now. And for the applications that have it, the touchbar is a great innovation. I guess it all depends what the end use is primarily for.

Right. These Mac vs PC arguments are largely irrelevant these days anyway. Both are quite good in their own way. I understand he's really just quibbling. I do still get sticker shock when I look at Apple products though. lol.

• GhostWriter and PhoenixBeard like this

#17 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

For me, the price difference is the biggest issue. I think someone would be hard pressed to find something only an Apple product could do but if that's the case, then you're kind of stuck. I still contend it's the brand vs what it does. Way back when there were differences but now days, I think it's just what people are used to. Same with iPhone vs Android. Although recently Samsung has been coming out with newer functionality and then Apple catches up.

• Three Eyes likes this

#18 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:47 AM

For me, the price difference is the biggest issue. I think someone would be hard pressed to find something only an Apple product could do but if that's the case, then you're kind of stuck. I still contend it's the brand vs what it does. Way back when there were differences but now days, I think it's just what people are used to. Same with iPhone vs Android. Although recently Samsung has been coming out with newer functionality and then Apple catches up.

I don't disagree that the price is a gut punch. I have yet to see a PC laptop with the same build quality. I just upgraded and my last Mac is from 2011 and still runs almost perfectly and will go to my youngest son. It still is pretty quick except when it comes to any video work. I do think there is some intentional design aspects that few others can match. But yeah, you ain't getting it cheaply.

- Francis Bacon

#19 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Price is the main issue. Support is still better than most but has declined over the years.

#20 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

For me, it all comes down to user experience, functionality and adaptability, which PCs handle with ease in comparison to Macs. My main laptop is still a 2nd-hand Gateway I picked up & maxed out the RAM on (8gb) to go with it's AMD quad-core 2.2Ghz cpu. It dates back to '11 and can still run just about anything I throw at it; it can play just about any game and can edit/convert A/V without issue. My even older Toshiba laptops still run flawlessly as well even though they are underpowered by today's standards with only 2 or 4Gb of RAM. All of them are still on Win7; I have no use for the latest Windows OSes; talk about anti-intuitive - it's like they stole the idea from Apple - how to be more confusing and hide all the stuff a power user needs for no reason. I tossed the old eMac (the one that they cut off support for, natch) outside under the gazebo as it's sole purpose is to get online or play a dvd or SOME movies from a USB stick; it comes in handy when I'm out back getting the bonfire going or working on outdoor construction projects (just built 2 8'x8' sheds with raw materials), etc...

• Three Eyes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users