#1 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

Any BARFs heading to YYZ for RushCon 16? I will be there... Come join us, won't you? Rock on!

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#2 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:48 PM

IMG_3815_zps3c493d86.jpg

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:32 AM

I wanted to definitely go to the next Rushcon, unfortunately short notice and I'm not able to :(

I haven't heard any west coasters say they were going.  I know some wanted to.  What's up guys?  You alive?

• EZrhythm likes this

#4 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

Rush07Marysville115.jpg

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

I'm holding out for RC40.

201612516263598304.jpg

• EZrhythm likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:47 AM

Can we have in Portland??? It is the hippest town in the whole damn USA, donchaknow??? There's the Toronto thing, but still...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#7 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:00 AM

Can we have in Portland??? It is the hippiest town in the whole damn USA, donchaknow??? There's the Toronto thing, but still...

RushatRedRocks2010331.jpg

#8 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

Ken Hoffman was the only original BARF that I encountered at RushCon 16... dang... Oh well, I caught up with plenty of other old Rush-fan friends and made lots of new friends while I was there.  It was quite a wonderful weekend, eh!

The RushCon ladies at The Lee Lifeson Art Park in Willowdale...

1104161421g_zpsvrkorhdl.jpg

1104161423_HDR_zpsrymsxszw.jpg

1104161425_zpsnbmg7loc.jpg

1104161427a_zpsq3w1kf5s.jpg

1104161638_zpstvidw7zb.jpg

1105161437_zpsqd4ayh59.jpg

1105161445_zpsttmislcj.jpg

1105161445d_zpsjoxyyn4l.jpg

The Garden?

1105161459_HDR_zpseokvd5yl.jpg

#9 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Sorry we didn't make it, Huge. Dockie was going to try to make it, but one of his co-workers had vacation scheduled and he had to cover. 

#10 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

I wanted to definitely go to the next Rushcon, unfortunately short notice and I'm not able to :(

I haven't heard any west coasters say they were going.  I know some wanted to.  What's up guys?  You alive?

HERE! Would have loved to but I'm to depressed, getting over Neil's retirrrrrment.

#11 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Sorry we didn't make it, Huge. Dockie was going to try to make it, but one of his co-workers had vacation scheduled and he had to cover. 

No worries, my friend...  You all were missed but I understand how different it is to get from the left coast to YYZ than it is for me from right next door.  It was sooooo easy for me that I've already penciled in my plans to go back to Toronto in June.  I drive about 20 minutes across the border (which is the subject of my favorite trivia question about Detroit... what compass direction do you travel to drive from Detroit to Windsor, ONT, Canada?...), park and hop a train from Windsor that takes just over 4 hours to get to Union Station in Toronto.  The hotel for RushCon was a little over a mile away... sorry, about 2 Km, eh...) so I walked from the station and took in the city along the way... and what a great, bustling place it is!  I passed the Hockey Hall of Fame (which I came back to and visited on Saturday morning) and Massey Hall along the way as well as the Hard Rock Cafe where most of the RushCon events took place.

One of the highlights of the weekend was that first night when we viewed "Time Stand Still" in a private screening just for RushCon and SRO/Anthem peeps.  Both Geddy's and Alex's mothers were there and I got to meet them at the post-viewing Q & A session at The Hard Rock... I had to restrain myself and not smother them in hugs and adoration for their maternal role in bringing their sons up to become who they are in all of our lives.  Both seem like such pleasant ladies and it was a real treat to make their acquaintance that night...

Among the events we enjoyed was a Friday bus tour of Rush-centric locales in and around Toronto.  We saw the school where Ged and Alex met, the church whose basement hosted the first live Rush performance ever and The Lee Lifeson Art Park, all in Willowdale, as well as the Canadian Walk of Fame where we saw the RUSH star, among many others... On Saturday, we walked over to SRO/Anthem offices and saw all sorts of fan-created commemorative items along with all of the plaques honoring RUSH and its members for their life's work... a very, very cool experience, I must say.  I'll tell the story of how the Art Park came to be in another post...  Walking back from the SRO offices, I passed this greenhouse that looked familiar... I'm betting it was the inspiration, for the final stage back-drop used during live performance of "The Garden"...

Saturday, and the RushCon 16 event, wrapped up with a charity auction and RUSH tribute band show (Lotus Land played http://www.lotuslandband.com/  )  I bid on and won a one-of-a-kind "A Farewell to Kings" album cover banner (made by Jillian's mom!) at the auction and a "major award" at the Lotus Land performance...  I claimed the "best (only) RUSH undergarment" award (a hologram CD copy of Roll The Bones) for the 2112 boxers I was sporting.  Yes... I had to prove that I was wearing a RUSH undergarment to claim my prize!  So far, I haven't seen any incriminating photos of this dubious honor anywhere on the webs... :weirdoCP:

That's about all for now...  I'll hope that our paths cross sometime in the very near future, my BARF friends!  Rock ON!

1105161459a_HDR_zpsllk0ghml.jpg

IMG_3769_zps61319671.jpg

• Three Eyes, SpaceGhost2112 and fast eddie like this

#12 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:55 AM

1209161721_zpsf11nbajd.jpg

A Farewell to Kings banner from the RushCon 16 charity auction...

• Three Eyes likes this

#13 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

The story of the Lee-Lifeson Art Park was really entertaining.  The councilman who was responsible for the park told the tale of a park, 20 years in the making.  The idea was originally hatched sometime in about 1996 or so, and the city began buying the residential property that was originally on the corner where the park now stands.  A number of owners held out and refused to sell so the project went dormant for 15 years or so.  About 5 years ago, the councilman who started it all was told that the homes owned by the city were going to be rented out because they'd been there for so long and nobody knew why the city owned them.  He said, "No! You can't rent those out... we have plans for an art park on that site."...which was really a lie but it saved the project from getting permanently derailed. 

During the course of the past few years, funds and property collected from developers as the area grew around the proposed park site allowed the city to buy the rest of the needed residential properties so that something could get started.  The councilman, a music and RUSH fan, decided that local hero, Geddy Lee, was the logical choice to be asked to allow his name to be used for the park.  However, the council didn't know how to get in touch with Geddy... through a very cool, small-world connection of mothers on PTA and wives calling other wives in the organization, the councilman's wife got in touch with Geddy's wife and asked to have his people call the city to discuss this honor.

Geddy agreed but only if his sidekick Alex Lifeson were also honored and both names added to the park.  And that's how the Lee-Lifeson Art Park came to be at Princess and Hillcrest Aves. in Willowdale.  I want to live here and to be able to enjoy this park every single day.  The namesakes certainly make it meaningful as a fan of the band but it's just simply a wonderful space that I'd love to have in my neighborhood to enjoy any time I wanted to... Oh well, with things going the way they are here in the U.S. of A., I may make my way across the border to reside, as long as Canada doesn't build their wall to keep us all out...

http://urbantoronto....pens-north-york

1104161423_zpshlmfnapv.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: YYZ, Toronto, Rush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users