28 replies to this topic

#1 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:15 PM

How's everybody doing?  I'm fine.  Lots of people dying around here though.  Most days I hear of someone I know dying of this thing.

#2 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

I’m healthy (so far) and as an overweight 58 year old T2 diabetic with high blood pressure I’m being very careful. 

• grep likes this

#3 River Alph

River Alph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

The sacred River Alph is doing fine. People are still bathing and reveling in my awesomeness.

• grep and baldiepete like this

#4 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:09 PM

Doing well enough, despite all red flags-age,T2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol,and compromised immune system from Non-Hodgkins in 2001. But I've been a survivor all my life, it just comes and goes in phases, and you deal with it. My next goal is mid-August and cracking 70.
  • grep and baldiepete like this

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#5 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:39 PM

I live in Washington state which (if I recall correctly) was the first state hit hard with Covid-19.   However with people for the most part doing the recommended CDC rules, the stay-at-home order and social distancing, the curve here is on the downhill side.  The statewide new positive cases and deaths have been on a decline for 2 weeks with as of Saturday with 20 new cases and 3 deaths.

• grep likes this

Uaireanta Tá Muid Beo Ach Amháin Le Haghaidh Anseo Agus Anois

#6 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:11 PM

Well Mrs. Hermit and I got stranded in Peru on March 16th when they shut their borders and did not escape until April 5. It was an absolute nightmare. We arrived on the 13th of March, at great expense, and rather than enjoying the nature, we spent most of the time locked up in a hotel room. Now back in MN and doing fine.

• grep and RushDoggie like this

Those who know what's best for us...

#7 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

I'm fine.

Being young, fit, with a BMI of 21 and devastatingly handsome I'll hold it off as long as I can. Now I've been furloughed from work, I'm out cycling every day.

Unfortunately the former guitarist of Rush tribute band Bravado has lost his life due to COVID19

• grep likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

I'm fine.

Being young, fit, with a BMI of 21 and devastatingly handsome I'll hold it off as long as I can. Now I've been furloughed from work, I'm out cycling every day.

Unfortunately the former guitarist of Rush tribute band Bravado has lost his life due to COVID19

Derbyshire Police will have to dedicate a drone to you to make sure you’re only out cycling for one hour. 

For those unaware of this story (presumably all non Brits). 

• grep likes this

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

I'm fine. I'm working from home and going out on my bike, as usual. I go to the supermarket once a week or so. If I hadn't seen it on the news I'm not sure I'd have noticed that there's a lockdown yet.

One of my stepdaughter's friends appears to have infected her elderly father, who was suffering from dementia and didn't have contact with anyone else. She's a district nurse. He died, sadly. As Nick mentioned above the excellent Paul Piercy, erstwhile six-stringer for the excellent Rush tribute act Bravado is also a victim. Not much more than a week ago he was thanking people on Facebook for their "hope you feel better soon" messages, now he's gone. I met him and chatted to him a few times. Really a lovely man.

#10 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

It's really hard to know how vulnerable you are to this. I'm 59 years old, which is not in the highest risk age category. I don't have any of the "underlying health conditions" as far as I'm aware. I'm possibly a bit too thin now. I'm fairly fit. I don't smoke, and don't drink much these days.

One idea that seems to have gained traction is that, perversely, a pre-existing immunity to similar viruses might pose a risk - which would explain why younger people have mostly been unaffected, ie there's a lower probability that they've been exposed to a similar flu-type virus.

I can remember three or four times in my life when I've been absolutely pole-axed by a dose of flu - one time when I could not get comfortable, or summon up the energy to get out of bed to go to the loo for days. Once when I started hallucinating slightly, and was visited by Jesus. So I do worry that I might be at risk.

My only real exposure to risk is my occasional trip to the supermarket. If I wasn't married to someone who wouldn't tolerate it, I might well have gone into survivalist mode and be living off tinned food and UHT milk for a month or two. As it is, I find myself at Tesco once a week looking for essentials like "tender stem broccoli" and artichokes.

• grep, baldiepete and Three Eyes like this

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:17 PM

Had a pulse last I checked. Never thought life would become a cheesy pandemic movie on Amazon Prime.

• grep likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:29 PM

Damn that's a shame.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

Every day I'm reading of someone I know dying.  Parents of my children's schoolmates, to my nextdoor neighbors, etc.  It's hard living close to the hot zone here because of that.  I'm just staying inside, except to run a few miles everyday.  I'm dealing with groceries being delivered which is very limiting, but otherwise we are doing fine.  We have established a home office park here.  I'm on the main floor with my full setup from work, my oldest daughter is downstairs with hers and my youngest, when she's not living on her off-campus apartment is upstairs doing her classes online.  She's a college senior so this hits them a bit harder.  It's difficult when your goodbye to a place you spent four years in is disrupted like that.  My wife, working for a government contractor makes them "essential" so they are actually going into work everyday.

Anyway guys take care of yourselves.  We will get through this.

• grep, Three Eyes and pjbear05 like this

#14 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:51 PM

Been hiding in the bunker since mid-March.  Had just started a new job in March that was going to require travel. Was excited about it, then that excitement turned to dread when the virus started to take off in the US, AND my groups travel/work was deemed essential.

Fortunately, the client and thus my employer backed off from that. So working from home and doing a lot of WEBEXing.

We're safe. High risk but safe, and have been able to avoid this population killer so far. Even if I were healthy, I'd still be worried about this thing. Hearing horror stories about some young and healthy folks going from seemingly OK to death in a matter of hours.  Fuck that.  Staying home until there's a treatment or vaccine.

• Three Eyes likes this

#15 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:12 PM

Derbyshire Police will have to dedicate a drone to you to make sure you’re only out cycling for one hour. 

For those unaware of this story (presumably all non Brits). 

LasT Saturday I set off to cycle where they had the filth-o-drone up, but the roads were crawling with cop cars. So I didn't quite stretch my ride out to three hours... 

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 River Alph

River Alph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:10 AM

I know for a FACT that Mr. Skeptic is alive and well!  He has been practicing divining people's future from the bunions and callouses on their feet. He's been right 2 out of 5 times so far. "Those are Hall Of Fame numbers" he says.

#17 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

I know for a FACT that Mr. Skeptic is alive and well!  He has been practicing divining people's future from the bunions and callouses on their feet. He's been right 2 out of 5 times so far. "Those are Hall Of Fame numbers" he says.

Sort of true. With bunions, I'm spot on, 3-3, but callouses aren't as reliable.

As for me and the missus (you may know her as Rushdoggie), we're fine except she's away from home trying to deal with the sudden and unexpected death of her sister. I don't go many places normally so this hasn't been much change for me. My work has deemed me "essential" but we're only seeing really urgent patients so it's been very slow. Lots of admin and tasks others usually take care of.

But, this too shall pass, and maybe the economy won't completely crash due to the over reactions of our benevolent government. If I hear the term "out of an abundance of caution" too many more times, you may see me on the news.

"We actually have not required in this law that you carry health insurance."

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

#18 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:42 PM

Getting out of Peru made me see just how inept our state dept really is. We could have been on a flight out on March 26, but because our names were not on the manifest the night before, for some reason, it was not allowed. The concept of stand-by could not be fathomed. So they flew out a plane that day with 1 of 3 seats empty while others like us pleaded to be let on. We ended up waiting over 10 more days before they sent another plane. Who paid for the hotel and food all those extra days? Guess who.

Also we had to pay the state dept over $1000 each to be flown just to Dulles. Then $400 each to get home. So much for the idea that all flights are cheap now. Hardly. So this adventure was not only stressful and time-wasting as hell, it cost us thousands of dollars. For the pleasure of looking at the walls of a tiny hotel room in a police state.

Streets in Peru patrolled by armed soldiers. When we left they had made M W F men only and T Th Sat women only on streets. Nobody allowed out on Sun. 

The Dulles to Minneapolis flight had 4 people on it. Airports empty. No one at security except TSA agents. THAT part of it rocked. For the first time ever, airports and airplanes were actually not horrible. 

Did find some cheap fares to PHX / LAX and next week we are going to the desert for a week to look for some bird species I need. Cannot resist the cheap flights and calm airports. Honestly not that concerned about the virus, even if we were going to be around people, which we won't. 

#19 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:05 PM

Getting out of Peru made me see just how inept our state dept really is. We could have been on a flight out on March 26, but because our names were not on the manifest the night before, for some reason, it was not allowed. The concept of stand-by could not be fathomed. So they flew out a plane that day with 1 of 3 seats empty while others like us pleaded to be let on. We ended up waiting over 10 more days before they sent another plane. Who paid for the hotel and food all those extra days? Guess who.

Also we had to pay the state dept over $1000 each to be flown just to Dulles. Then $400 each to get home. So much for the idea that all flights are cheap now. Hardly. So this adventure was not only stressful and time-wasting as hell, it cost us thousands of dollars. For the pleasure of looking at the walls of a tiny hotel room in a police state.

Streets in Peru patrolled by armed soldiers. When we left they had made M W F men only and T Th Sat women only on streets. Nobody allowed out on Sun. 

The Dulles to Minneapolis flight had 4 people on it. Airports empty. No one at security except TSA agents. THAT part of it rocked. For the first time ever, airports and airplanes were actually not horrible. 

Did find some cheap fares to PHX / LAX and next week we are going to the desert for a week to look for some bird species I need. Cannot resist the cheap flights and calm airports. Honestly not that concerned about the virus, even if we were going to be around people, which we won't. 

As I live in a city that is burgeoning with Peruvians (they are our most common Latino in the area) I've heard of a lot of these cases.  Family friends were stuck until just last week.  I think the main issue was that they focused on all the spring travel places like the DR and Caribbean and forgot about people trying to get back from Peru.  These friends of ours spent a lot of time trying to get the attention of our State Dept and the Government of Peru to do something.  They came home via Dulles too.  They chose to just rent a car and drive the five hours home.

#20 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:00 PM

Well in good news, there is a recent study from Stanford University indicating that the fatality rate could be 50 to 85 times lower than what has been estimated so far.

https://www.medrxiv....2463v1.full.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users