41 replies to this topic

#21 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

While there is no useful standard definition for Super Rush Fan, I'll have a go:

• Bought all of the available studio albums on vinyl before I had a CD player, including RTB
  • I have all the studio album CDs, some of them more than once (special editions, remixes etc)
  • Been a fan since early 1977
  • Attended all of the UK tours, the first being June 1977
  • Spent two consecutive nights in the freezing cold at Newcastle Railway Station in 1978 because my mum wouldn't risk driving on ice to come and pick me up from AFTK tour gigs
  • Named my company (defunct now) after a Rush song (Mission Technology)
  • Met Geddy and Alex outside the stage door at Newcastle in 1978 and got their autographs on the tour book
  • I realise that some of the records are crap (an important qualification for the discerning fan, this one)
  • Used to save all of the music magazine pieces in a special file
  • My first guitar was a Les Paul copy because of ATWAS
  • Queued up for hours in the early morning snow outside Newcastle City Hall for Hemispheres tour tickets
  • The very first thing I did when exposed to the World Wide Web in 1994 was to do a search for Rush (which turned up some archives for the National Midnight Star mailing list)
  • Joined the NMS mailing list as soon as I had regular Internet in 1996
  • Met a Rush fan girlfriend at a Rush meet-up

There are a lot of debits as well, probably too many to list. For example I still haven't watched the R40 BluRay yet. I've never heard some of the later live recordings (they're all just so much 'product' to me, not definitive canon like ATWAS or ESL. And how many live versions of Tom Sawyer do you need?). I don't like A Farewell To Kings.

• Wandering Hermit, grep and Three Eyes like this

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

That is one of Rush's greatest powers. Every big fan thinks they're their band.

Exactly. And I can remember being so annoyed when everyone else started buying records and concert tickets for MY BAND in the early '80s, especially when it meant I had to see them from the middle of some soulless enormodome instead of the cosy confines of Newcastle City Hall.

Somewhere I have an interview with Geddy by a Metro Radio DJ in Newcastle in which he raises this point, about people having this "my band" feeling for Rush. There was a definite sense back then that we were a community apart, and when the band toured and you saw someone with a Rush patch on their jacket at the railway station, you'd wave or say hello. We were part of the same cult.

But Moving Pictures ruined all that.

• grep, Three Eyes and Rick N Backer like this

#23 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:52 AM

Credit

• I’ve bought all their studio albums on the day of release since Hemispheres. 
  • I’ve still got all the albums and CDs even though I have nothing to play them on. 
  • I’ve travelled from the UK to Toronto twice to see them. Admittedly, the second time (R40) was more luck than planning I had already booked a Canadian holiday before they announced the dates. 
  • I’ve seen them 24 times. 
  • I’ve been front  row three times (Signals, S&A and CA). Signals was a standing gig, we got there hours before the gig and ran like hell as soon as the gates opened. 
  • I’m recognisably in Beyond The Lighted Stage in the section about their fans. 
  • I’m in the Glasgow Chorus (CttH on ESL). Thankfully not recognisable. 
  • I’ve met Terry Brown. 
  • I’ve been to five Eucons (European fan conventions)
  • I’ve been to four RushFests (Scottish fan convention)
  • I bought all of Neil’s books
  • I’ve been following online Rush communities since about 1999 (alt.music.rush, then TNMS (European forum) then CP). 
  • I was involved in a group who bootleg recorded Rush gigs. I’ve personally recorded one and a half gigs, mastered about a dozen recordings and edited two videos. 
  • My home WiFi network is called LaVillaStrangiato and has a Rush related password. 
  • I’ve made real life friends through Rush and the online communities. 

Debit

• I rarely listen to Rush and when I do it’s almost always AFTK, Hemi, PeW or MP. Occasionally CoS, GuP or PoW. 
  • I don’t like a lot of Neil’s lyrics. My favourites are all in the Broon era. 
  • S&A is a terrible album, as is RtB. They were treading water on TfE. 
  • I’m happy to be snarky about the band and their management. 
  • 16 of the 24 times I’ve seen them were R30 or later. 
  • When I’ve been at Conventions I’ve usually ignored most of the programme and just got more drunk than is sensible. 
  • I didn’t buy any merch except a few T-shirts and tour books. 
  • I gave my Neil Peart books to a charity shop (a week before his death was announced). 
  • I lurked for years before I ever posted online in a Rush group. 
  • I know some REAL hardcore Rush fans and I ain’t one of them. Maybe that should be a credit. 
  • I have a Sonos playlist called Lesser Rush. 
  • I’ve met Nickslikk several times.  :P  :lol: 

• grep and Three Eyes like this

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

While there is no useful standard definition for Super Rush Fan, I'll have a go:

Right, there isn't an observable line between Big Rush fan and Super Rush fan but to quote US Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."  :P

I realise that some of the records are crap (an important qualification for the discerning fan, this one)

Couldn't agree more. Ideas may differ on what makes a crappy Rush record but a fan who constructively criticizes is a fan who cares. Ninja move listing that among your credits. I had a glancing thought of doing that too but let it slide away.

• Slim likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

• I’m in the Glasgow Chorus (CttH on ESL). Thankfully not recognisable. 

That is NUTS. I don't mind saying I was enchanted by that when I first heard it and it remains one of the great moments on a live Rush record for me.

• I’ve met Terry Brown. 

Awesome.

• I was involved in a group who bootleg recorded Rush gigs. I’ve personally recorded one and a half gigs, mastered about a dozen recordings and edited two videos. 

Probably one of my debits. Although I've heard some seriously good bootlegs, I've never delved into that world very much.

Debit

• When I’ve been at Conventions I’ve usually ignored most of the programme and just got more drunk than is sensible. 

Haha. I got drunk too but also followed the program. Truthfully, I usually waited until after the program.  :Cheers3:

• I gave my Neil Peart books to a charity shop (a week before his death was announced). 

That's some timing.  :o

• I’ve met Nickslikk several times.  :P  :lol:

But it turns into a credit if he put the album sleeve on his head.  :CP  nickslikk smilie:

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#26 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

You met them too. That should be high on the credit list.  Hope you don't mind me saying.... I remember the photo.

Thanks. Trin arranged that. He definitely ranks higher than me on the superfan list.

• snow_patrol likes this

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#27 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

That is NUTS. I don't mind saying I was enchanted by that when I first heard it and it remains one of the great moments on a live Rush record for me.

Awesome.

Probably one of my debits. Although I've heard some seriously good bootlegs, I've never delved into that world very much.

Haha. I got drunk too but also followed the program. Truthfully, I usually waited until after the program.  :Cheers3:

That's some timing.  :o

But it turns into a credit if he put the album sleeve on his head.  :CP  nickslikk smilie:

BINGO  :lol:

8-C5-BFB8-F-F675-473-F-80-BE-F243474-ABD

• Slim, grep, Three Eyes and 1 other like this

#28 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

Apart from the fact that that is me, I deny all knowledge...

If you really think you're a super Rush fan then you are. Even if you're  not.

Possible Credits:

I bought all studio albums on release since AFtK

I've seen Rush in 7 different countries

I've travelled with NEP

I've met supposed Rsuh Troll Slim several times

I've met Baldie Pete several times, a nicer semi-Sassenach you'll never meet

NEP signed a picture of me!

Possible Debits:

I refuse to take Rush seriously

They really did start to go downhill after Hemispheres

I co-founded the Bring Back John Rutsey Campaign back in 1979

Neil's death didn't really impact on me. 

• Slim, baldiepete and Three Eyes like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:26 AM

Just fucking because. He should have been in.

It's annoying. Working Man is one of the greatest blue collar man jams ever.

• grep and Rick N Backer like this

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:48 AM

Possible Credits: 

I've seen Rush in 7 different countries

Righteous.

I've travelled with NEP

lol. I suppose that's true in a manner of speaking.

I've met supposed Rsuh Troll Slim several times

If meeting fellow fans is a credit then I can say I met and got drunk with Nunavuter in Toronto. I also met bonafide Rush Super Fan Jillian (AKA JackRelax) in person. 

NEP signed a picture of me!

What?

Possible Debits:

I refuse to take Rush seriously

Oh really. I hadn't noticed.  :CP  nickslikk smilie:

I co-founded the Bring Back John Rutsey Campaign back in 1979

Had you been successful then lyrics duty would have reverted back to Geddy and no one wants to see that.

Neil's death didn't really impact on me. 

You messed up that sentence so it probably did.  :)

Didn't you also have your picture taken behind Chromey?

Ah ha! This is either you or the Pope and I don't think the Pope is a Rush fan.

Attached Files

#31 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:26 AM

According to some of the 'credits' posted by some here I'm nowhere near a Super Fan (whatever that means). In any event it doesn't matter, I'm a fan and always will be. That's enough for me. 

5vtWSE.jpg

#32 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:44 PM

What the hell, I'll bite...

Credits

• First LP's I ever received were Caress of Steel and Moving Pictures
  • Bought every album on cassette up to CP, then switched to CD (and replaced the tapes with CD's)
  • Bought multiple "remastered" versions of the CD's
  • Bought all videos when released, first on VHS and then on DVD/BluRay when available (and replaced tapes with discs)
  • Bought each of the solo albums (including Burning for Buddy)
  • Actually really like the majority of Victor
  • Was a member of Backstage Club
  • Bought silk and embroidered tour jacket from Backstage Club (was my pride and joy for many years, now I have no idea where it is)
  • Still have the dreadful Brian Harrigan "Rush" biography
  • Bought all of Popoff's books
  • Bought all of NEP's books save "The Masked Rider"
  • Bought tour books and t-shirts at every tour attended
  • Bought the tour book compendium that was released during SnA Tour
  • Bought Book of Bass and Wandering the Face of the Earth
  • First concert I ever attended was Signals at the Lakeland Civic Center - drove up to Lakeland to camp out for tickets, Jon Butcher Axis opened
  • Saw every tour after that except Power Windows
  • Saw VT tour 3 times, saw Time Machine 2 times, saw SnA 2 times
  • Saw CP from front row - Al's side
  • Planned vacations around tours
  • Have a pair of Neil's sticks and a couple of Al's picks given to me by a former member of the lighting crew - the stories he told were amazing
  • Used "2112" in multiple passwords and PIN's (thankfully cleaned that up)
  • Currently have 10 separate Rush iTunes playlists (obviously some overlapping songs, but all 10 are different lists)
  • Each new vehicle I buy (4 cars, 2 boats over time), Rush is first artist I play through audio system

Debits

• Never attended RushCon
  • Don't have dedicated Rush display/"shrine"/"man cave"
  • Don't display posters, artwork, etc.
  • No personalized license plate (though I do consider it from time to time - but not 2112, too easy)
  • No Rush tattoos
  • Not the artist I've seen most in concert (that honor goes to Jimmy Buffett)
  • Really dislike the majority of PoW and HYF
  • As noted in separate thread, think "Lamneth" and "Necromancer" blow chunks
  • But not as bad as "Rivendell" and "Tai Shan"

• Wandering Hermit, grep and Three Eyes like this

#33 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:12 AM

• Bought silk and embroidered tour jacket from Backstage Club (was my pride and joy for many years, now I have no idea where it is)
  • Still have the dreadful Brian Harrigan "Rush" biography

Fuck yes! Same here! I had that black jacket with red Starman and Star and Hemisphere's style Rush scrawl! Was not a warm jackaet. Wore it all the time for years. Also long gone. As for the book I am pretty sure it is somewhere in the house.

Those who know what's best for us...

#34 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:25 AM

Oh, I do have a large Rush tapestry that I bought at a flea market back in the 80s. As I recall, it's black with white lettering and is the starman design. It's HUGE! I'll have to see if I can find it. 

• Three Eyes likes this

5vtWSE.jpg

#35 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Fuck yes! Same here! I had that black jacket with red Starman and Star and Hemisphere's style Rush scrawl! Was not a warm jackaet. Wore it all the time for years. Also long gone. As for the book I am pretty sure it is somewhere in the house.

I think mine had "Rush" in the AFTK font. I'll see if I can find a picture of one on the interwebs and post it. 

#36 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

I should post an addendum to my prior post - to be clear, I don't think of myself as a "superfan," just wanted to play along. 

I've always kind of looked askance at that sobriquet - I've never liked that whole stating that someone is more of a fan than someone else because they didn't do this or they don't have this or they don't live their life this way. I've always thought you either are a fan or you aren't - no better or worse than anyone else.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

#37 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

I guess somehow I qualify as a "superfan" but I never really thought of it that way.  I participate in online discussion, I partially own a messageboard and manage it (kind of) and I've been to 73 shows in my lifetime.  That said, I don't buy everything they put out.  I don't listen to the entire catalog.  I even go months without listening.  To be honest, what motivated me as a fan was the prospect of seeing them live.  It was the reason for listening and the inspiration to go back and discover songs in the catalog I'd previously passed over.  Without that driving force, I don't know where my fandom goes from here.  It's uncharted territory.

#38 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • Locationa deep dark hole

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

a former member of the lighting crew - the stories he told were amazing

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

I should post an addendum to my prior post - to be clear, I don't think of myself as a "superfan," just wanted to play along. 

I've always kind of looked askance at that sobriquet - I've never liked that whole stating that someone is more of a fan than someone else because they didn't do this or they don't have this or they don't live their life this way. I've always thought you either are a fan or you aren't - no better or worse than anyone else.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

But there is a breed of fan that goes above and beyond the call of duty; the souls who organize and maintain elaborate websites of Rush related information, set-lists, photos, articles, tour programs, etc., for example, or the multi-year organizers of RushCon and the European cons who volunteer their time and effort to what must be a daunting task. And then there are the message-board admins who keep the lights on, have to deal with software issues and are expected to manage bad behavior and maintain the peace.

So if I was cornered into giving a definition of "Rush-Super-Fan" I guess they would be the fans who not only have the types of credits sections listed in this thread but who also provide unpaid promotional work for the band itself. Are they better fans? I wouldn't want to make that judgement. But it could be argued that they are more valuable to the band's bottom line for whatever that's worth.

#40 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

But there is a breed of fan that goes above and beyond the call of duty; the souls who organize and maintain elaborate websites of Rush related information, set-lists, photos, articles, tour programs, etc., for example, or the multi-year organizers of RushCon and the European cons who volunteer their time and effort to what must be a daunting task. And then there are the message-board admins who keep the lights on, have to deal with software issues and are expected to manage bad behavior and maintain the peace.

So if I was cornered into giving a definition of "Rush-Super-Fan" I guess they would be the fans who not only have the types of credits sections listed in this thread but who also provide unpaid promotional work for the band itself. Are they better fans? I wouldn't want to make that judgement. But it could be argued that they are more valuable to the band's bottom line for whatever that's worth.

That's a very valid point - I think the key is, as you mention, avoiding the trap of equating "super" fan with "better" fan or "more of a" fan. Circumstances can limit what you invest in time, money, etc. into "fandom," but that doesn't make you better or worse. 

A good discussion (and nice to see an interwebs discussion that hasn't devolved into the usual bullshit namecalling just because folks have different points of view).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users