I think Neil's passing has me a little nostalgic. The following can probably be viewed as a self-assessment of my time as a Rush fan. So here is a surely incomplete list of my credits and debits as a fan in the interest of assessing whether I am or am not a Super Fan.
- I've bought all their studio albums.
- I've been a CP member since 2001 if not earlier.
- Sometime during the early 80s, I listened to the debut through Signals all in one sitting.
- I've made a fair amount of both Rush cartoons and Photoshop gags. (Of course, this could also be construed as self-serving).
- I can play quite a few Rush songs on guitar and played for two RushCon sing-alongs. (That has to count for something, dammit! lol.)
- I've contributed to a fair amount of Rush fan fiction threads over multiple boards way back in the day.
- Maybe most embarrassingly, back in 2000, I parsed through a massive and meandering Rush fan-fiction thread, summarizing each of its 10 parts into discrete story-lines. I also separately collected a lot of its fun bits into a separate post. (For example, the many depictions of Alex eating food. )
- Lastly, I can truly say without hesitation that Rush is my favorite band.
- I've only been to seven shows.
- I stopped buying their live albums after Different Stages.
- I've maybe purchased one concert program.
- I own one concert video. (GUP on VHS).
- Outside of a poster or two I've bought almost no merch or memorabilia.
- I've criticized the band's work a little more than occasionally on message boards (with love of course).
- I've been to only two RushCons.
Verdict (imo): Not quite a super fan but possibly standing just outside the door.
Feel free to participate with your own self-assessments.