41 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:18 AM

I think Neil's passing has me a little nostalgic. The following can probably be viewed as a self-assessment of my time as a Rush fan. So here is a surely incomplete list of my credits and debits as a fan in the interest of assessing whether I am or am not a Super Fan.

Credits:

- I've bought all their studio albums.

- I've been a CP member since 2001 if not earlier.

- Sometime during the early 80s, I listened to the debut through Signals all in one sitting.

- I've made a fair amount of both Rush cartoons and Photoshop gags. (Of course, this could also be construed as self-serving).

- I can play quite a few Rush songs on guitar and played for two RushCon sing-alongs. (That has to count for something, dammit! lol.)

- I've contributed to a fair amount of Rush fan fiction threads over multiple boards way back in the day.

- Maybe most embarrassingly, back in 2000, I parsed through a massive and meandering Rush fan-fiction thread, summarizing each of its 10 parts into discrete story-lines. I also separately collected a lot of its fun bits into a separate post. (For example, the many depictions of Alex eating food.  :) )

- Lastly, I can truly say without hesitation that Rush is my favorite band.

Debits:

- I've only been to seven shows.   

- I stopped buying their live albums after Different Stages.

- I've maybe purchased one concert program.  

- I own one concert video. (GUP on VHS). 

- Outside of a poster or two I've bought almost no merch or memorabilia. 

- I've criticized the band's work a little more than occasionally on message boards (with love of course).

- I've been to only two RushCons.

Verdict (imo): Not quite a super fan but possibly standing just outside the door.

Feel free to participate with your own self-assessments. :)

• grep likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

I'll play.

Credits:

- I have all their studio albums.

- I've been a CP member since 2004

- At one job, I'd binge listen to the studio albums in order, then loop back and start over

- I have two video compilations, the Beyond the Lighted Stage doc, the R40 show, the Rio show and Neil's drum tutorial on DVD

- I have all of Neil's travelogues either in print or audio, one is signed.

- I have the Wandering the Face of the Earth coffee table book

- I entered a contest at Anthem and won a signed poster, which is nicely framed

- As far as other merch, I have the Funko dolls, some picks, the playing cards, one program and two shirts

- I turned my daughter on to Rush, took her to two shows (three if you count when I was pregnant), and now she's taken up the bass

Debits:

- I've been to ten shows, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the Rushgirl-level fans.   

- I have only one live album

- It's been a while since I've watched any of those DVDs

- I am not a musician, so I can't play their music

- I don't have Geddy's Book of Bass

- I haven't seen Time Stand Still, I Love You, Man or those other movies where Alex cameo'd. 

- I've been critical of the Clockwork Angels novel, but that might be more on KJA than Neil

- I've only been to RushCon once, during a non-concert year.

Verdict: I'm probably standing next to TE at the door.

• grep and Three Eyes like this

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:21 AM

^^^ Awesome. The fact that you've turned your daughter into a Rush fan who has now taken up bass raises your own fan power level significantly, I reckon. :)

Which leads me to another of my own super fan debits. While I always confess to Rush being my favorite band if the topic comes up, I don't think I've ever recommended any of their gateway albums (2112, PeW, MP) to anyone IRL, certainly not since around 1990 anyway. This probably has something to do with the fact that most of the IRL friends I've made post age 30 have not been rock fans in any significant way. (Hmm. Something to think about there.)

• Soddy and Rick N Backer like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:51 AM

I'll play.

Credits:

- I've bought all their studio albums. Casette, Vinyl, CD, most of the 97 remasters.  The early decade remasters.

- I was on the AOL Rush Board in 1993.

- I had a subscription to The National Midnight Star, Zine in 93.

- When the news of Vapor Trails was announced on the Geddyboard, I was the first person to call it VT.

- I've seen the band 28 times.

- been to every tour since p/g.

- have every tour program dating back to p/g.

- I currently have 5 Rush t-shirts hanging in my closet, all from tours in the last 12 years. Plus a few more out of rotation.

- Geddy is my main inspiration for wanting to learn how to play the bass. (Cliff Burton too)

- I remember 2112 in as a 9 year old, hearing the 'teenagers' in the park playing it all the time. I loved it, even though I didn't know who it was. My parents hated it (and Xanadu). Thought it was drugged out space music.  Wasn't until I heard MP in 1981, that I realized it was the same band. Rush!

- So the above, in my mind, makes me a fan since 1976.

- I insert Rush references into my documents at work.

- When I used to program, I'd use band references as variable names. for (int lerxst = 0; lerxst <= 9 ; lerxst++) {...}

- my computers and hard drives are named after Rush songs and albums. (have been moving away from this recently, though)

- for a couple of tours I 'announced' the official pre-show meetups in NYC and Newark, NJ.

- my best concert memories, have been every time i've ben in the first 15 rown with all the other hard core fans.

- I have a few of my own concert photos on my wall. 2 blown up to poster size.

- for many years my license plate was twnty112.

- My favorite band, by far. Even though their time has passed.

Debits:

- I've never been in the front row.

- I've only met Rush Girl once.

- Nixed the idea of making my new plates 21twelve. (Felt like I'd be living in the past if I did that).

- Never traveled further than 200 miles to see them play.

- I had an opportunity to see Beyond The Lighted Stage in Tribecca (the Ged and Al appearance). Turned it down. Stupid.

- I had an opportunity to go to the RRHOF induction. I didn't go. Stupid.

- I had an opportunity to go to the last show in LA. Didn't make the plans. Stupid.

- Never been to a Rushcon.

- Never been to a BARF. I should have traveled.

- When I was still living in NY, Don G invited me to visit Toronto, to hang out and do the Rush sites tour. I graciously declined. 

My verdict. Hard Core Fan, but not at super fan level.

• Soddy and Three Eyes like this

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:41 AM

I'll play.

Credits:

- I've bought all their studio albums. Casette, Vinyl, CD, most of the 97 remasters.  The early decade remasters.

- I was on the AOL Rush Board in 1993.

- I had a subscription to The National Midnight Star, Zine in 93.

- When the news of Vapor Trails was announced on the Geddyboard, I was the first person to call it VT.

- I've seen the band 28 times.

- been to every tour since p/g.

- have every tour program dating back to p/g.

- I currently have 5 Rush t-shirts hanging in my closet, all from tours in the last 12 years. Plus a few more out of rotation.

- Geddy is my main inspiration for wanting to learn how to play the bass. (Cliff Burton too)

- I remember 2112 in as a 9 year old, hearing the 'teenagers' in the park playing it all the time. I loved it, even though I didn't know who it was. My parents hated it (and Xanadu). Thought it was drugged out space music.  Wasn't until I heard MP in 1981, that I realized it was the same band. Rush!

- So the above, in my mind, makes me a fan since 1976.

- I insert Rush references into my documents at work.

- When I used to program, I'd use band references as variable names. for (int lerxst = 0; lerxst <= 9 ; lerxst++) {...}

- my computers and hard drives are named after Rush songs and albums. (have been moving away from this recently, though)

- for a couple of tours I 'announced' the official pre-show meetups in NYC and Newark, NJ.

- my best concert memories, have been every time i've ben in the first 15 rown with all the other hard core fans.

- I have a few of my own concert photos on my wall. 2 blown up to poster size.

- for many years my license plate was twnty112.

- My favorite band, by far. Even though their time has passed.

Debits:

- I've never been in the front row.

- I've only met Rush Girl once.

- Nixed the idea of making my new plates 21twelve. (Felt like I'd be living in the past if I did that).

- Never traveled further than 200 miles to see them play.

- I had an opportunity to see Beyond The Lighted Stage in Tribecca (the Ged and Al appearance). Turned it down. Stupid.

- I had an opportunity to go to the RRHOF induction. I didn't go. Stupid.

- I had an opportunity to go to the last show in LA. Didn't make the plans. Stupid.

- Never been to a Rushcon.

- Never been to a BARF. I should have traveled.

- When I was still living in NY, Don G invited me to visit Toronto, to hang out and do the Rush sites tour. I graciously declined. 

My verdict. Hard Core Fan, but not at super fan level.

Your credits section is a wowzer. Very close, bro, very close. And a lot of your debits involve big to-dos so they are understandable.

Back in the day, if your parents hated the bands you liked, you knew you were onto something. It's a different vibe today though. Seems to me the parents now have better taste in music than the kids!! lol.

• grep likes this

#6 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:44 AM

Closest I ever got was third row, Geddy's side. I've also been to a few CP real-life gatherings, including a trip to a Vegas show.

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:19 AM

I realize the term "super fan" carries negative connotations. I mean, Trekkers (or more pejoratively, Trekkies) have been made fun of since the movement began. And who can forget these guys?

maxresdefault.jpg

But my hat goes off to the super fans. Rush owes them a lot. Maybe even their Rock Hall induction. Without them, would the band have the same presence on the web? Would there have ever been a RushCon?

• grep likes this

#8 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:25 AM

Your credits section is a wowzer. Very close, bro, very close. And a lot of your debits involve big to-dos so they are understandable.

Back in the day, if your parents hated the bands you liked, you knew you were onto something. It's a different vibe today though. Seems to me the parents now have better taste in music than the kids!! lol.

You are too kind sir. :) Thank you.    Your credits section is good too. I sort of remember your posts back then.  The good old days.

• Three Eyes likes this

#9 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:27 AM

Credits:

-Named firstborn son Alex, who became a good guitar player

-Joined Backstage Club as soon as I heard about it and tried to use my Official Member Certificate to get Backstage (it was the name of the club!) access during Signals tour in Salt Lake City (LOL, that worked, not)

-Took my Alex to three shows, son #2 to two shows

-Paid through the nose for First Row on S&A tour

-Did attend one Riushcon which I think isn't much but how many fans go to even one? Really?

-Dropped acid and listened to everything from FBN to Signals on one occasion many years ago

-Spent umpteen-thousand hours and keystrokes on some Rush messageboard!

-Saw them in Canada once (Montreal)

-Spent all of 2018 on a work assignment in Thailand where I literally rode a train to Bangkok every day.

Debits:

-Almost named son #2 Neil, but balked at last moment (had agreement from wife and everything)

-Only 7 shows

-No meet & greets ever, though I tried

-Seriously hate some of their music

-Very rarely listen to them (but only because I don't like to listen to old music I am so familiar with, I want new music. And the newer Rush just does not sound as good as new music from other bands. I rarely listen to Zep, Maiden, Sabbath, or any of the other bands I grew up on and loved because I have heard it all a billions times... and I refuse to be one of the whiny old fans that says 'In my day... rock music was better, wahhh...")

-Cannot imagine watching the vids or listening to a number of the CDs ever again

-Never got sticks though had a variety of interesting signs that NEP didn't seem to look at

Verdict:

Used to think I was biggest fan, now know that I am not, but .... still feel like I was the best Rush fan evar and that they were my band.

Those who know what's best for us...

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:30 AM

Closest I ever got was third row, Geddy's side. I've also been to a few CP real-life gatherings, including a trip to a Vegas show.

You met them too. That should be high on the credit list.  Hope you don't mind me saying.... I remember the photo.

• Soddy and Three Eyes like this

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:30 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add those to my credits! I've been to 2 or 3 BARFs (one took place in Lake Tahoe), at least 3 LARFs and one SARF (San Diego). Btw, the farther you travel to any Rush related event, the more Rush fan power you accumulate. lol.

Oh and one pre-show fan gathering. VT tour at Staples in LA.

Oh and I also saw the BTLS and Time Stand Still docs and attended one Rush cinematic event which I think was the R30 Tour. Does anyone remember which tour that featured in the theatrical event during the mid 2000s? 

• grep likes this

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:37 AM

Thinking about it now, I may well take Don up on that offer. He's such a nice guy.

Have been dying to get a photo with my Geddy Jazz at the Ontario Legislative Building. Plus.... Metalworks. (Hard core Triumph fan too.... something about that Toronto sound)

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:46 AM

You met them too. That should be high on the credit list.  Hope you don't mind me saying.... I remember the photo.

That's true. I remember that photo also.

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:49 AM

Thinking about it now, I may well take Don up on that offer. He's such a nice guy.

Have been dying to get a photo with my Geddy Jazz at the Ontario Legislative Building. Plus.... Metalworks. (Hard core Triumph fan too.... something about that Toronto sound)

I suppose one of my debits is that I don't know who Don G is.  :huh:

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:51 AM

Oh and a huge debit for me is that I didn't attend the RushCon that took place right here in LA!

#16 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:00 AM

I suppose one of my debits is that I don't know who Don G is.  :huh:

He's a gentleman who lives in Toronto, and is very knowledgeable about the band and it's history. He admins at least one of the Rush FB groups.

• Three Eyes likes this

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:31 AM

Credits:

-Spent all of 2018 on a work assignment in Thailand where I literally rode a train to Bangkok every day.

Love that one. Unless you're a Rush fan citizen of Bangkok, what are the chances anyone will ever be able to say that? I remember the photos of the interior that you posted. Looked like your standard metro commuter train (which is to be expected). But in my Rush mind's eye, the train to Bangkok looks like this. (No doubt murder most foul was committed at some point during their journey but they were too high to ever hope to solve it.)

Golden-Eagle-Bar-Lounge-Car-Winter.jpg

Verdict:

Used to think I was biggest fan, now know that I am not, but .... still feel like I was the best Rush fan evar and that they were my band.

That is one of Rush's greatest powers. Every big fan thinks they're their band.

• Slim, Wandering Hermit and grep like this

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:32 AM

He's a gentleman who lives in Toronto, and is very knowledgeable about the band and it's history. He admins at least one of the Rush FB groups.

Starting to ring a bell now.

#19 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

One more thing. Once I knew that I wasn't going to the RRHOF, I considered flying up to Toronto to place flowers at John's grave - the morning after.

Just fucking because. He should have been in.

• Three Eyes and Rick N Backer like this

#20 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

That’s nostalgia. Your parents probably thought exactly the same thing, that their generation had better taste in music than their kids. In 30 years time today’s kids will bemoan whatever the current music is and the garbage that their kids listen to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users