32 replies to this topic

#21 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:08 AM

Speech that intends to cause extreme emotional injury should be illegal...period. You think its a free speech right to bully someone to suicide??? I don't...not to say that this shit rises to that level, but there is a point where free speech is not a defense...

Understandable eddie, but how do you draw the line on something like that? 

Hey...where's Perry?

#22 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

Understandable eddie, but how do you draw the line on something like that? 

Considering some people are so emotionally fragile to begin with, an off-handed, "have you gained weight?" could send someone over the edge. IMO, the line should be on-going, pervasive verbal bullying. Jokes, no matter how rude, are not and should not be the issue. I bet there isn't one liberal here or just about anywhere, not to mention a lot of conservatives, who thought the jokes at Ann Coulter's expense on the roast the other night were a problem.

• DarthLen and fast eddie like this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#23 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

Jokes hell, they were flat out calling her a racist bitch. lmao

And I don't feel bad for her because she has engendered that type of response with her bigoted, hateful writing & speech. I felt bad for Pete! Dead parent jokes? Murdered parent jokes? I thought those were in poor taste more than the shots at the scarecrow. 

I feel sorry for the kids that have been bullied; I was bullied, but I fought back (usually being the ONLY one getting in trouble, too, BECAUSE I fought back). It took a few conversations about 'sticks & stones ... words can't hurt you' to sink in, but my bullying issues back when I was a pre & early teen were a lot more physical because I was so small (think being chased and physically assaulted by 4 or more at once typically), so I had to resort to violence to let them know I wasn't gonna put up with anyone putting their hands on me any more. It finally sunk in when I went off of a guy almost 2 feet taller than me because he had elbowed the top of my head for the last fucking time. Multiple people had to pull me away as I was jumping up and swinging at his head pretty ferociously. After that, it became a joke, but no one fucked with me again. They saw the look. The look of "I'll fucking kill you if you touch me again". 

All that being said, I think our nation is getting more and more pussified by the minute with its collective inability to just simply brush off words as meaningless drivel from douchebags. Insults? Doesn't rate in my opinion. Threats? That's different. I get your point, Eddie, but kids need to toughen up when it comes to being ragged on. I'm not claiming it's a rite of passage, but trash talk will always be and you either get good at it or ignore it if you know what's best for your well being. 

#24 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

SAFE SPACES FOR ALL OUR LITTLE PRINCESSES AND PRINCES.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Speech that intends to cause extreme emotional injury should be illegal...period. You think its a free speech right to bully someone to suicide??? I don't...not to say that this shit rises to that level, but there is a point where free speech is not a defense...

Star Wars Kid sends his thanks.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#26 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

I agree completely with developing a tough skin, I wish my daughter had broken someone's nose when her best friend decided to turn on her and ruin her middle school experience. She ended up going to an alternative school where she excelled and is now an RN...she did the right thing by not resorting to violence, but it shouldn't reach that point. School admin did basically nothing to help, and that's way too prevalent in school today...kick the bullies out should be the answer...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#27 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

I agree completely with developing a tough skin, I wish my daughter had broken someone's nose when her best friend decided to turn on her and ruin her middle school experience. She ended up going to an alternative school where she excelled and is now an RN...she did the right thing by not resorting to violence, but it shouldn't reach that point. School admin did basically nothing to help, and that's way too prevalent in school today...kick the bullies out should be the answer...

That's the reason I sent my kids to private school. Nearly bankrupted me but worth it. Bullies get kicked out. They don't do that in public school. Also, the public schools treat the bully and the victim both as problems.

Yes bullies should be given a very short leash. Shape up or ship out.

#28 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:14 AM

I went to a private high school and was bullied by a freaking teacher. 30 years later and the dickhead is trying to friend me on FB.

Hey...where's Perry?

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:43 AM

I went to a private high school and was bullied by a freaking teacher. 30 years later and the dickhead is trying to friend me on FB.

Perfect opportunity to tell him what's up.

#30 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

That's the reason I sent my kids to private school. Nearly bankrupted me but worth it. Bullies get kicked out. They don't do that in public school. Also, the public schools treat the bully and the victim both as problems.

And why we home schooled.  My oldest daughter is now in a public magnet high school, and seems to be thriving, but I'm glad she got to skip the middle school years when girls are at their worst. 

LYqbjSn.jpg

#31 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Recently had a proud dad moment.  My kids befriended another home schooler, and they often chat back and forth on whatever the iPad chat program is.  (iMessage I think.)  Anyway, apparently it came about that this other kid was saying disparaging things about Mexicans. 

There's a couple ways this could go.  Either my kids could ignore it, or minimize it, or change the subject, but I was really proud to hear they stood up and told her she was wrong to say what she was saying.  After the conversation, neither one of my girls was interested in remaining friends with this kid, and were really disappointed in her.  I think that must have been hard, particularly for my youngest, who doesn't see kids her own age every day (as she is still home schooled).  But they stood up to the bully anyway. 

I can't say I was too sad about it either.  My wife had told me a bit about the mom... she doesn't really teach any science, and has weird ideas about healthy eating (my favorite topic).  At the risk of stereotyping myself, they must be those kind of home schoolers.

• DarthLen, The Macallan and fast eddie like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#32 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:19 PM

#MexicanJokesMatter
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#33 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationStanding On The Edge

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

Really, the bullies get kicked out?

Stamina is the force that drives the drumming; it's not really a sprint.(Neil Ellwood Peart)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users