32 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:19 AM

I know, capitalism not for pussies but this left me stunned. Am I too PC? Maybe the most callous tv ad I can think of

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:22 AM

Yes you're too PC, but I'd say the commercial is in bad taste. If you think that's callous, then by all means don't watch any of the Comedy Central Roasts when Pete Davidson in on the dais.  

• DarthLen likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#3 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

Wow, the google says that it's an actual commercial that the company has now apologized for.  What shitheads...and especially on the 15th anniversary of that shitty day.  I predict a pretty huge backlash...what a bunch of idiots.

#4 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

Repugnant. It's a great way to lose business. 

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

Too soon.

#6 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

The accompanying news story...

https://youtu.be/ZycLHbIbnDM

Hey...where's Perry?

#7 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

Yes you're too PC, but I'd say the commercial is in bad taste. If you think that's callous, then by all means don't watch any of the Comedy Central Roasts when Pete Davidson in on the dais.  

false equivalency to the max but those roasts are cringe inducing but hilarious

#8 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

They are hilarious but Pete Davidson's dad was killed on 9/11, and they joke about it.

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

From the YouTube comments:

"This is the 9/11 of commercials."
  • Greg likes this

#10 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

false equivalency to the max but those roasts are cringe inducing but hilarious

They are hilarious but Pete Davidson's dad was killed on 9/11, and they joke about it.

Yea, seriously, jeez, some of the dead dad jokes they made during the Rob Lowe roast/Anne Coulter Lucilling were just cringeworthy; I felt way worse for Pete (who I'd never even heard of before) than I did for Coulter or even Jewel (Trailer Swift - lol)... 

#11 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

This is kind of what I was getting at with the Political Correctness thread that I started a while back.  Some would say that this is not PC and while that seems true, it's also is very poor taste.  To some, it's along the lines of a Holocaust joke, which I'm sure there are plenty.  But to think that someone would even think this is good marketing is mindboggling to me.  

And it's similar to the Drumpf thing with Megyn Kelly.  Some would say that the reason that he can say that is because he's tired of being PC.  It's not PC, it's common decency.  That someone can defend that kind of disrespectful language is crazy.  What if that was your daughter...then how would you feel?

Empathy...it works every time it's tried.

• RushDoggie likes this

#12 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Well to be honest, she doesn't strike me as extremely bright in that commercial, or the follow up.

Hey...where's Perry?

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Oooooh Caaanadaaaa

You've becooome a laaand of cucks.

• GhostWriter likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#14 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

Comedians should not be fined for verbally eviscerating hecklers. Hecklers deserve everything that the comedian on stage can dish out if they want to step up and upstage/insult/be a part of the show...

I remember one beautiful Hicks moment where he totally destroys this drunk woman trying to heckle him... Half of Howie Mandel's early stand-up involved just randomly fucking with people in the audience... This PC shit has gone way too far overboard. 

• Three Eyes and MrSkeptic like this

#15 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

Oooooh Caaanadaaaa

You've becooome a laaand of cucks.

Any surprise that's happening in Canuckland? Fucking liberal pussies. Too bad they don't have a 1st Amendment to rely on.

#16 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:14 PM

And what's crazy to me, as a social liberal, is that that shit is akin to fascism which I want no part of, so how these so called liberals are going after people for what? SPEAKING? is insane to me.

Yelling fire in a crowded theatre when there isn't one - gotcha. Inciting violence intentionally - check.

Calling someone hideous or any other name just doesn't qualify. What ever happened to ...names will never hurt me?

Are we really becoming just a nation of easily offended pussies who then try to act all tough by attacking because we couldn't take it? How pre-adolescent of America...

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:16 PM

I will say that comic's hair stylist needs to be fined. That has to be some sort of human rights violation.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#18 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:20 PM

#HairStylistsLivesMatter

#19 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

Speech that intends to cause extreme emotional injury should be illegal...period. You think its a free speech right to bully someone to suicide??? I don't...not to say that this shit rises to that level, but there is a point where free speech is not a defense...
  • Permanent-Rush likes this
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#20 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

Any surprise that's happening in Canuckland? Fucking liberal pussies. Too bad they don't have a 1st Amendment to rely on.

To be accurate, this is a provincial case. The Quebec Human Rights Tribunal tried this case, and since you're American, I would not expect you to be familiar with the inner workings of our country, but the short story is that Quebec kind of operates as it's own country within our country. Think Texan aspirations somewhat realized. 

I prefer our take on freedom of speech, the childish version the Americans live by is problematic imo and horrible results follow. We're not beholden to old slave owners thoughts and words. You prefer your way, I prefer ours. You think we're pussies, I think you're intellectually immature. 

Having said that, I think this case is rubbish simply because it's a comedienne doing material on stage. That venue is understood by most people as being particularly rough on any and all subjects and normal societal rules don't apply. 

Here's a bit more detail if interested

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users