43 replies to this topic

#21 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

I don't have much negative to say about anything Rush related.

Every time I listen it's about the nostalgia and memories that are conjured up. I grew up sailing out of Port Dalhousie (Lakeside Park) and have too many good Rush related memories that any negative no longer registers.

They were, and still are, my favourite. It was never just about the music.

• RushDoggie likes this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#22 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

I think The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth both blow.

#23 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:49 PM

Even though I was already a fan for several years prior I never bought, and I don't think I've heard a single song from, the EXIT STAGE LEFT album!!!  However, at the time I did buy the video on VHS tape.  I did buy ATWAS and Show of Hands (even though the previous three studio albums had turned me off) but I have no logical explanation for why I've never bought ESL.

#24 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

I don't have much negative to say about anything Rush related.

Every time I listen it's about the nostalgia and memories that are conjured up. I grew up sailing out of Port Dalhousie (Lakeside Park) and have too many good Rush related memories that any negative no longer registers.

They were, and still are, my favourite. It was never just about the music.

Did you ever go to Crystal Beach when you were a kid?

I was born in Buffalo and we went there every summer until 1975 when we moved out of state.

• High School Halls likes this

Those who know what's best for us...

#25 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

Did you ever go to Crystal Beach when you were a kid?

I was born in Buffalo and we went there every summer until 1975 when we moved out of state.

I did. Lol. Grew up in Niagara Falls and family still there. And still a die hard Sabres fan and spent a lot of time in Buffalo. Not so much any more but Crystal Beach is a blast from the past for sure.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#26 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:48 AM

Hello Kathryn.

Time Stand Still? Saw it on the telly the other day. Found it very moving. Especially on the very final song, which went on for longer than usual as they didn’t want to stop.

I believe that's the one. I saw Beyond the Lighted Stage, but that was years ago.

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#27 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:39 AM

Been listening to Rush since at least 1976 but there are some songs I wouldn't be able to tell you what album it came from.

• Three Eyes likes this

"We actually have not required in this law that you carry health insurance."

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

#28 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:57 PM

I did. Lol. Grew up in Niagara Falls and family still there. And still a die hard Sabres fan and spent a lot of time in Buffalo. Not so much any more but Crystal Beach is a blast from the past for sure.

I wonder if we ever crossed paths as kids! Actually I've wondered if NEP ever hung out at Crystal Beach. 

The last I was there must have been 1974. They used to have a ride called Jungleland. You boarded a small boat and it went slowly through a bunch of displays. Sort of like Laff in the Dark but not so fast. Anyway, out front of the entrance there was an animatronic display of a cannibal woman slow cooking a European missionary in a huge vat over a fire. She would dunk him up and down while her head turned side to side and a soundtrack of screaming played on a on. Scared the living shit out of me. I had so many nightmares and refused to ride it until the last year we went. Nuna (remember him? where did he go??) saw this same display when he was a kid and was equally disturbed. 

• GhostWriter likes this

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:03 AM

Been listening to Rush since at least 1976 but there are some songs I wouldn't be able to tell you what album it came from.

A number of songs from PoW to T4E are like that for me. If you were to ask me right now which album, say Red Tide, is on I wouldn't be able to give you a definitive answer.

Sometimes I'm not even sure which album Presto is on.  :D

• MrSkeptic and Rick N Backer like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

I sure that if you played me any track I could identify the album it came from but I couldn’t name all the tracks on several albums without looking them up. I reckon I’m ok up to PoW but from then on I’d have to look at a track listing get them all. 

• grep likes this

#31 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:55 AM

I sure that if you played me any track I could identify the album it came from but I couldn’t name all the tracks on several albums without looking them up. I reckon I’m ok up to PoW but from then on I’d have to look at a track listing get them all. 

I'm even starting to forget the order of the albums. Did RTB come before Presto... or after?   And I have absolutely no idea when the retrospective albums came out... or that live compilation. 

• Rick N Backer likes this

#32 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

I haven't listened to Roll The Bones all the way through, this century.

I travelled from the UK to Toronto for a weekend to see the CA tour. The weekend was fantastic socially but I didn't enjoy the gig much.

I probably haven’t since the 90s either

#33 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:08 AM

I wonder if we ever crossed paths as kids! Actually I've wondered if NEP ever hung out at Crystal Beach. 

The last I was there must have been 1974. They used to have a ride called Jungleland. You boarded a small boat and it went slowly through a bunch of displays. Sort of like Laff in the Dark but not so fast. Anyway, out front of the entrance there was an animatronic display of a cannibal woman slow cooking a European missionary in a huge vat over a fire. She would dunk him up and down while her head turned side to side and a soundtrack of screaming played on a on. Scared the living shit out of me. I had so many nightmares and refused to ride it until the last year we went. Nuna (remember him? where did he go??) saw this same display when he was a kid and was equally disturbed. 

Man...I don't remember that. I remember the roller coaster and that was about it. Seems so long ago. 

• Wandering Hermit likes this

- Francis Bacon

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:52 AM

Holy cow. I think we can now guess why the both of you became atheists. :) Relive some of those pleasant childhood memories of Jungleland here.

https://www.facebook...249590475198066

Nuna can be found occasionally posting to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/wmjohnston

• GhostWriter likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#35 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:54 AM

Holy cow. I think we can now guess why the both of you became atheists. smile.png Relive some of those pleasant childhood memories of Jungleland here.

https://www.facebook...249590475198066

Nuna can be found occasionally posting to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/wmjohnston

Dude. You seriously just made my day. I had been looking for photos of that damn missionary in the pot FOR YEARS with no luck AND THERE IT iS!!! Well done man.

Holy buckets, that was one of the most disturbing events of my life, seeing that every summer. No wonder I am so messed up. You could not have such a thing out there today.

(Okay. That leaves one more memory from my childhood that I still need to find... this is stupidly off-topic but I'm not going to start a thread on it. There was a show that aired in the US in 1977 produced by Quinn Martin, Tales of the Unexpected or something like that, and the pilot episode featured a couple of executions in the electric chair and I was 10 at the time and it scared me so bad I had nightmare for years (maybe that is why I never became a murderer because it scared me straight lol)

The episode was called The Final Chapter and the release date was.... wait for it.... 2 February 1977. Geez 43 years ago today. 43!!! Anyway even 3E won't find it online - many peeps have been asking whoever owns it, ABC I think, to dregde it out of the archives and release it on DVD but prolly will never happen)

And send that link to Nuna! LOL

• Three Eyes likes this

#36 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:57 AM

Man...I don't remember that. I remember the roller coaster and that was about it. Seems so long ago. 

Good for you, it was not fun!

We went to the Falls multiple times a year, but no matter how much my brother and I begged, our folks would never take us up the tower in those little yellow cars (we called them bugs) that went up and down on the sides. I was there a few years ago with my youngest son and finally did it. Cool to see Toronto from up there across the lake. I miss that part of the continent. 

• GhostWriter likes this

#37 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:34 AM

Beyond The Lighted Stage was a fine movie. Still makes me feel good when I watch it

Time Stand Still is depressing. A complete downer compared to Beyond. I know this won't endear me to anyone and I truly don't mean to insult anyone but I couldn't give a rat's ass about interviewing fans to tell me what they think of how Rush affected their lives. It's one thing to read it on a message board like this one but to actually make time for it in a documentary? No thanks. 

• baldiepete, chemistry1973, bytor11 and 1 other like this

5vtWSE.jpg

#38 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:26 AM

Dude. You seriously just made my day. I had been looking for photos of that damn missionary in the pot FOR YEARS with no luck AND THERE IT iS!!! Well done man.

Holy buckets, that was one of the most disturbing events of my life, seeing that every summer. No wonder I am so messed up. You could not have such a thing out there today.

So do you finally have closure on that one? :)

(Okay. That leaves one more memory from my childhood that I still need to find... this is stupidly off-topic but I'm not going to start a thread on it. There was a show that aired in the US in 1977 produced by Quinn Martin, Tales of the Unexpected or something like that, and the pilot episode featured a couple of executions in the electric chair and I was 10 at the time and it scared me so bad I had nightmare for years (maybe that is why I never became a murderer because it scared me straight lol) 

The episode was called The Final Chapter and the release date was.... wait for it.... 2 February 1977. Geez 43 years ago today. 43!!! Anyway even 3E won't find it online - many peeps have been asking whoever owns it, ABC I think, to dregde it out of the archives and release it on DVD but prolly will never happen)

I wouldn't search that out anyway, thank you very much. haha.

And send that link to Nuna! LOL

Will do.

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:47 AM

Here's some bonus material gleaned from my mighty search efforts (it really didn't take that long). This is an excerpt from a blog piece written by a guy I think you share a certain fellowship with. lol.

Growing up in western New York in the 1970s, I’d regularly visit, with my family, an amusement park across the Canadian border called Crystal Beach. That park is gone now. In some ways, it was a place of sheer joy. There was a funhouse called the Magic Palace, the likes of which one doesn’t find anymore. And they had one of the huge slides no longer exist, apparently, where you’d hike up the stairs and then ride down the series of slopes and plateaus atop a burlap bag. But there was an absolute horror at Crystal Beach as well. It was a ride called Jungle Land, a ride that involved some small boats that floated along on a slow moving waterway inside a dark building. The interior contained various crocodile-filled dioramas meant to mildly scare or amuse. However, it was a display just outside the building that was the problem: At the entrance stood several huge animatronic cannibals and a pot set atop a faux fire. In the pot was some unfortunate European explorer they had captured and were slow-cooking. His face was a rictus of unspeakable terror and great pain. The “cook” would turn her head from side to side, with the same slow, regular cadence with which she’d push the head of the missionary down. She had to keep doing that because he was trying to get out of the boiling pot, apparently. Up and down his head went.

Every summer we’d go to Crystal Beach, and every time, I’d stand there and gawk in sick fascination at that inhuman display. I thought about how that poor fellow would be in the boiling water forever. That he was always in the pot, and his expression would always be the same. Even in the winter, I thought, the park would be closed, the electricity would be off, he would not be moving, but he’d still be there. And then the next summer his horrible cannibal captors would be cooking him again.

Btw, nice piece there. When I saw the word Infernova I thought, wait a minute, that rings a bell. Then I googled the author's name and sure enough...

• GhostWriter likes this

#40 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:16 AM

1A - I have a confession...

I turned on to Rush just after the release of the first album and became a fan...bigly.  Then the 80s came along.  I was already into punk/new wave/alternative stuff and Rush had a little bit of a toehold in there for me but then along came Power Windows.  It was one of the first CDs I bought (along with Brothers in Arms and DSoTM).  I liked it, but it wasn't the Rush that I had caught fire for before and I left the Rush camp for about 10 years.  Rarely, if ever, listened to them.  I was DJ'ing in clubs at alternative/new wave places and I had just kind of left Rush behind.

Then in 97, I put this completely insane stereo in my car and Spirit of Radio came on and I cranked so loud I'm surprised the windows didn't shatter.  I actually teared up and I dove back into Rush and stayed a pretty consistent fan since then.  But I didn't even know about Counterparts, some say I didn't miss anything, but CTTC is a killer tune!  I never developed any affinity for HYF or Presto or RtB.  Show, Don't Tell is a standout, though...Peart just kills it.  

But for a good 10 years or so, I hardly ever listened to Rush.  

1B - Not really a confession, but a cool Rush experience.  I flew to see them at Red Rocks about 12 years ago, maybe longer.  And that was amazing...about 15 rows up, dead center.  Crazy cool...

• grep and baldiepete like this

Back.  Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users