15 replies to this topic

#1 Body Electric

Body Electric

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe outer fringes of Portlandia

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:56 PM

In an effort to find something happier to post about, I got this book the other day. It came out late last year. I'm only partway through the chapter that documents the first tour (I'm several dates past Neil joining the band), but I'm finding it absolutely fascinating. There's so much detail to soak up, and I can't imagine how much work went into this. Something for the Rush obsessive to be sure.

Amazon had it for $25, which was half off, and with a gift card I basically got it for free. It's a massive, heavy, beautiful book. Has anyone else acquired it?

81DsfSPZJAL.jpg

• Greg and Rick N Backer like this

#2 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:30 AM

I hadn't even heard of this...looks impressive!

Back.  Again.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

It’s awesome. I got it for Christmas so I’m only halfway through. I took a break with Neil’s passing but I couldn’t put it down up to that point. It’s a must-have.

#4 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

I completely forgot about that but just ordered one. banana%20dance%20Original.gif

"We actually have not required in this law that you carry health insurance."

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

#5 High School Halls

High School Halls

• Peeps*
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, Northwestern PA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:25 PM

I received it on release day.  I opened it to find the single date in 1975 (when I was 6) that they played in my hometown, opening for Kiss.  I read that, closed the book, and haven't opened it since.  My life is too much of a zoo to be able to devote to it right now.  I have about 5 other Rush related books sitting around unopened.  I got through about half of Geddy's BBoB, though.  What a gorgeous book!

• grep likes this

#6 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

I saw it for 50% off at Barnes and Noble and picked it up. It's still in the wrap; I need to clear space on the coffee table for it.

• Aldebaran and Moving Target like this

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

I received it on release day.  I opened it to find the single date in 1975 (when I was 6) that they played in my hometown, opening for Kiss.  I read that, closed the book, and haven't opened it since.  My life is too much of a zoo to be able to devote to it right now.  I have about 5 other Rush related books sitting around unopened.  I got through about half of Geddy's BBoB, though.  What a gorgeous book!

BBoB is indeed gorgeous.  I spent a little bit of time just oogling at those awesome instruments.  To think...that's the edited version of his book .  Think Geds said that the source material was 2X the length we see. Something like that.

Wandering.... I opened it up and found the NJ 'Sinatra' show from the HYF tour. Entry was accurate.  I'm satisfied that the book is well done. Will read more later. ;)

• High School Halls likes this

#8 Aldebaran

Aldebaran

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:14 AM

Just ordered mine from amazon, today's price was still good @ $33.00 for a $50.00 book. Unfortunately was on back order but, I can't imagine a restock will be too long. Wasn't Eric on the board back in the day under "Power Windows"  His site 2112.net/powerwindows and John's @ cynusx1.net were well done and full of good info. Looking forward to perusing. Coulda got it today @ B&N but they were only $5.00 off of 50 \imacheapbastid/  

• grep likes this

#9 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

BBoB is indeed gorgeous.  I spent a little bit of time just oogling at those awesome instruments.  To think...that's the edited version of his book .  Think Geds said that the source material was 2X the length we see. Something like that.

Wandering.... I opened it up and found the NJ 'Sinatra' show from the HYF tour. Entry was accurate.  I'm satisfied that the book is well done. Will read more later. ;)

How is your bass playing these days?

• grep likes this

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

How is your bass playing these days?

Thank you for remembering. :)

Doing OK. I admit, life gets in the way and i don't practice much. But after 8 years of on and off playing, I'm allright. Won't be in a band anytime soon. But it's a nice creative hobby. I start playing, and it lifts my spirits.

How are your musical endeavors progressing?

• Moving Target and High School Halls like this

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Doing OK. I admit, life gets in the way and i don't practice much. But after 8 years of on and off playing, I'm allright. Won't be in a band anytime soon. But it's a nice creative hobby. I start playing, and it lifts my spirits.

I play in two bands - one a late seventies cover band in which I do a bit of backing vocals and also play some synth, thereby living out Geddy fantasies at last  :D and another glam rock band in which I am more of a gun for hire at gigs in the northen part of the Duchy.

I also turn up to a monthly jazz jam in Truro, which is the closest thing Cornwall has to a city.

Soon a pianist friend and i will put a track out on iTunes - me saying relaxing hypnotic stuff and him playing ambient vibes underneath.  There is a YouTube vid in the works to publicise it.

• grep and Three Eyes like this

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Speaking of progressing, after 40 years playing guitar I just figured out how to get a great rock guitar sound. DO NOT scoop the mids in your amp's EQ section!!! The mids are what make your guitar stand out in a band situation and give you that ballsy hard rock sound!!!  A 'well duh' moment 40 years in the making! I also now turn the gain on my amp up really high until it's too distorted and then turn the volume of my guitar way down and what a great frickin sound I get just doing that. And this on a 15 watt Crate practice amp, for Pete's sake!

I figured this out on my own the other day but then I saw this article by a guy named Arron Matthies say the same thing. It's a great article. Actually he has a series of great guitar related how-tos at this site.

https://guitargearfi...uitar-amp-tone/

Not sure if he has anything on bass but use the Internet to your full advantage. Tons of valuable info out there on instruments, playing, sound, what have you, that we didn't have when we were young gun guitar slingers.

• grep and Moving Target like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#13 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

Speaking of progressing, after 40 years playing guitar I just figured out how to get a great rock guitar sound. DO NOT scoop the mids in your amp's EQ section!!! The mids are what make your guitar stand out in a band situation and give you that ballsy hard rock sound!!!  A 'well duh' moment 40 years in the making! I also now turn the gain on my amp up really high until it's too distorted and then turn the volume of my guitar way down and what a great frickin sound I get just doing that. And this on a 15 watt Crate practice amp, for Pete's sake!

I figured this out on my own the other day but then I saw this article by a guy named Arron Matthies say the same thing. It's a great article. Actually he has a series of great guitar related how-tos at this site.

https://guitargearfi...uitar-amp-tone/

Not sure if he has anything a bass but use the Internet to your full advantage. Tons of valuable info out there on instruments, playing, sound, what have you, that we didn't have when we were young gun guitar slingers.

Depends on the sound you want.,  To play slap I roll the mids off.  To play rock I put the mids back, even add some, and roll off the treble.  I need this to cut through two noisy guitar players. My Music Man Sterling is pretty snarly anyway due to the ceramic humbucker, and my GK amp snarlier still. The band called me "The Gnarl".

• Three Eyes likes this

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

Depends on the sound you want.,  To play slap I roll the mids off.  To play rock I put the mids back, even add some, and roll off the treble.  I need this to put through two noisy guitar players. My Music Man Sterling is pretty snarly anyway due to the ceramic humbucker, and my GK amp snarlier still. The band called me "The Gnarl".

Yes it always depends on the situation.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#15 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

I ordered my copy from Amazon today. I found it in a Barnes and Noble but their price was almost 20 bucks higher. I asked a guy if they'd match price, a he gave me a look. I chuckled and walked out.

I also saw a book called The Making of A Farewell to Kings. It looks like some sort of authorized comic book-style accounting of making the record. It seemed interesting. Not 44 bucks interesting, but sorta cool anyway.
  • Moving Target likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#16 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

I ordered my copy from Amazon today. I found it in a Barnes and Noble but their price was almost 20 bucks higher. I asked a guy if they'd match price, a he gave me a look. I chuckled and walked out.

I also saw a book called The Making of A Farewell to Kings. It looks like some sort of authorized comic book-style accounting of making the record. It seemed interesting. Not 44 bucks interesting, but sorta cool anyway.

That's the Fantoons graphic novel. They do cool stuff, but it's out of my budget.

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users