#1 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

Since CP is back I thought I’d post this gem I saw on FB last year. 

https://www.facebook...0864999?sfns=mo

3-F1-E4-B9-A-396-B-4353-919-E-B00-DD28-E

C28-A1-A27-3-E57-419-F-9-CEF-5-F282-F176

• grep likes this

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,548 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

Yeah I saw that. I guess when you look at technology and internet marketing, message boards and Usenet are basically dinosaurs. I don’t know about most of you but like our dear friend Grep, I was posting online about Rush in the 80s on various services. I led groups and so likely Rudy. Do you know what that meant to rush? Absolutely nothing. They were always about the music and they left this kind of crap to people who worked for them. Unfortunately they made a mistake when their handlers hired this clown. Thankfully for them he fucked up early enough to not create too much bad blood or blame for the band. Wear this to happen in these times it would have really gotten ugly.
  • grep likes this

#3 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

SIZE=14 INDEED!

The Board Wars were a crazy time.

Salad Days line 3

The Counterparts Hit Kitteh is back!  

#4 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Geez, I haven't thought about the board wars in years.

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

I just googled cygnuspheres.  It's remix or mashup of CX1 and Hemispheres?

I remember that vaguely.  Don't think the band did anything with it. LOL.  Do they even know it exists? Did they care?

In fact on R40, they played Hemisheres Prelude and the intro to CX1 in reverse chronological order.... so..... how is cygnuspheres important? 

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

#6 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:22 AM

I still have my lanyards.  

It was a heady time, the big internet was still new and shiny.

Tarnished, and sticky now.

The Counterparts Hit Kitteh is back!  

#7 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

I joined CP in 2002, which apparently was right after whatever happened because I never had a clue about it other than what I saw posted here. But I vaguely remember someone getting on Rockline during that time and their question was about the board wars. Geddy and Alex had no clue about it. I remember thinking the caller was a moron for blowing his opportunity on that.

There's a guy on TRF, canadianice, who people are convinced is Alex. Just in case he is, I thanked him for the tshirt he threw me in 2010.

Hey...where's Perry?

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,548 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

I joined CP in 2002, which apparently was right after whatever happened because I never had a clue about it other than what I saw posted here. But I vaguely remember someone getting on Rockline during that time and their question was about the board wars. Geddy and Alex had no clue about it. I remember thinking the caller was a moron for blowing his opportunity on that.

There's a guy on TRF, canadianice, who people are convinced is Alex. Just in case he is, I thanked him for the tshirt he threw me in 2010.

I think the main problem with the "board wars" was really all over hyperlinks.  Rudy had a thing about his board, his artwork being consumed elsewhere.  He wanted all the traffic himself so that he could paint himself as the leader of all Rush online social activity.  In reality he was a cruise director on a sinking ship.  Still, as I say, this type of environment, even CP is a dinosaur.  It was even then.  I'm happy to keep it going because the people who still are here prefer it to interacting publicly on one of the big social media sites.  I surely wouldn't say things I say here there.  As George Costanza said, "Worlds collide Jerry!  Worlds collide!"  Social media is an unhealthy mix of family, friends, co-workers.  This is truly one of the last vestiges of online freedom and anonymity.  I promise to never "dox" anyone here.  I also promise to never raise private information shared here in the social media that I have you on.  Would always treat that as a "blank slate" and recognize the "world's collide" scenario.  I think that is our new terms regarding how to behave here given the way the world has changed.

• grep, baldiepete, Three Eyes and 6 others like this

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:42 PM

A board like this has it's place regardless of the social media flavor of the decade.

I have to admit, I didn't go to facebook to get my confirmation of Neil's passing. I went to therushforum.

These are specialty sites. Communities. With well defined categories for topics and interactions. They may be dinosaurs in terms of age. But they are well thought out, functional, and useful. You can't replace that.

When I need info about a problem I'm having with my Jeep, again, I'm not going to facebook. I'm going to a Jeep forum. Where the people who know what the hell they are talking about hang out. Access, without wading through a ton of bullshit posts.

• Greg, Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

#10 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

A board like this has it's place regardless of the social media flavor of the decade.

I have to admit, I didn't go to facebook to get my confirmation of Neil's passing. I went to therushforum.

These are specialty sites. Communities. With well defined categories for topics and interactions. They may be dinosaurs in terms of age. But they are well thought out, functional, and useful. You can't replace that.

When I need info about a problem I'm having with my Jeep, again, I'm not going to facebook. I'm going to a Jeep forum. Where the people who know what the hell they are talking about hang out. Access, without wading through a ton of bullshit posts.

Yep. As soon as I heard about NEP's passing, I went here in the hopes there would be a light on. I did post on FB, of course, but outside of a small group of friends, I know that posting probably elicited somewhat of a "meh" reaction from a large part of my social media community. 

I also frequent a Florida Gators forum daily to chat with like-minded fans, just like here. While FB et al has its place (good or bad), there is something about contacting and interacting with a group that's aligned to single interest.

Been said countless times, but I'll say it again - was very happy to see the board up and running and to see you folks around.

• Soddy, grep, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

Geez, I haven't thought about the board wars in years.

I still have all my old photoshops of Rudy. I looked at the properties of probably the earliest one and the date said December 26, 2002.  :o

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users