10 replies to this topic

#1 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:34 AM

Some of you may have already read this since I posted it on Facebook.  But some may not have, but I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

Since hearing of Neil Peart's passing I have been in a bit of a somber mood.  Sometimes I even do a little weeping.  I don't really understand why.  I have never met this person, but what is the reasoning behind this mood?

As I think about it, a lot of thoughts flood my mind.  Thoughts of the first time I heard them on the radio.  Then there's the moment I knew I was a fan and bought my first record.  The anticipation of new Rush music coming out, finding out when the tour was and am if I was able to make it to a show.  

Of course the people I met.  Everyone having an opinion of what song was their favorite, the best album, the best lyrics...even the best solos.  A diversity can be found among all of us, but there is always that one connection...

...then it hit me...

...it was the connection.

With Neil's passing the paper is now blank, the drums are quiet, and the stage is dark.  It wasn't the loss of someone I have never met that I grieve for, but the some of the loss of the connection that came being a fan of Rush.  

Uaireanta Tá Muid Beo Ach Amháin Le Haghaidh Anseo Agus Anois

#2 madrigal

madrigal

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationneither here, nor there

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:06 AM

Beautifully said.

• Contentment and Moving Target like this

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:25 AM

That's just how I feel about it. If there was still a question about whether or not Rush was done - it has now been answered.

With that, no more being in the first 15, sharing the magic with some of the coolest people on the planet.  It's over, and it sucks.

• Contentment, Three Eyes and High School Halls like this

#4 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Perchance the tribute bands will keep the dream alive. Saw Crush last year, and if YYNOT gets close by, I'm there.
  • grep and Contentment like this

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#5 Hundred Names

Hundred Names

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHippietown Central -- where the wombats and tardigrades roam free!

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:02 AM

Like many, I suppose, I'm still not really sure what to say, what to feel, but I think Contentment's come closest to what I'm feeling. Thank you for sharing.

• Contentment and Rick N Backer like this

-- formerly Jolly Teabag

#6 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

YES!!! You nailed it. It's the loss of so many different connections. The connections of times, memories, locations, friends etc.

With all the contemplation over the past few days what's become crystal clear is how deeply connected I was to their singular sound  and how much their music and words actually shaped shaped me. Now I know. 

• Contentment, Wandering Pixie and High School Halls like this

#7 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

In my case if was a sense of sadness for Geddy and Alex, two men I have never met.

• Contentment, fast eddie and Rick N Backer like this

#8 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

In my case if was a sense of sadness for Geddy and Alex, two men I have never met.

For me it is a bit of that as well.

• Moving Target likes this

#9 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Contentment.

For me, it is the loss of a great thinker that isn't going to be saying anything anymore. Only a handful of the writers that I have been most 'in tune with' have been part of my generation, or even alive when I've been alive. NEP was #1 of all of them.

Hoping that he kept writing and that his family may offer something posthumously. Given what he was facing, and given his talent with words, he could have created something rather powerful, methinks.

• Slim, Contentment, chemistry1973 and 1 other like this

Those who know what's best for us...

#10 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:32 AM

That's just how I feel about it. If there was still a question about whether or not Rush was done - it has now been answered.

When I heard he no longer even had a drum kit in his house, that was the point I knew it was truly over. When the guy who played drums with passion and commitment for decades no longer plays, that's when you know it's truly over.

Neil's passing did not affect me the way it did many others and I'm not sure why. 

• Slim and Rick N Backer like this

5vtWSE.jpg

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

When I heard he no longer even had a drum kit in his house, that was the point I knew it was truly over. When the guy who played drums with passion and commitment for decades no longer plays, that's when you know it's truly over.

Neil's passing did not affect me the way it did many others and I'm not sure why. 

That was when I realized it too.  A person in their 60s who quits for basically a year is done.  There's no returning from that, even if he was in the best of health.  As we all get older we must realize that movement is life.  Stop doing something for a while and you've lost the ability to get it back.

As for his passing not affecting you as much, as he would say he was a guy who "hit things with sticks" in that regard he probably wouldn't want you to feel grief at his loss.  We all react differently but the body of work lives on and it lives every time we share it with someone else.

• Slim, Contentment and Rick N Backer like this

#12 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

I wasn't upset by it either; I didn't feel grief. Of course it's sad, of course it's a loss, but it doesn't feel like a personal loss.

It was an odd thing to process. Neil had stopped making blog posts for quite some time, and we all knew Rush was over. He wasn't one for regular interviews. So there was no practical difference. And yet it feels as though something is broken .. still hard to say exactly what I feel about it. But something that has been part of my environment, even my identity since I was 16, will be forever different.

The following may read as though it has been calculated to troll Rush fans, but it isn't. When Amy Winehouse died, I was properly upset. I felt hollowed out. I experienced actual anguish. And I've thought about that a lot since Neil died, to think why my reaction to these sad losses was different. I guess it's because:

• Amy Winehouse was Amy Winehouse, but Neil wasn't Rush
  • Amy was 27 when she died and while Neil was still too young, at least he made it to the cusp of being an old man
  • Hers was a senseless, avoidable death albeit she did it to herself
  • She had a lot more to give, whereas we'd had everything Neil was going to offer us
  • Neil observed a certain deliberate coldness bordering on rejection toward Rush fans, and in a personal sense it was hard not to return the compliment.

Despite all of the above I'll always maintain an affection for the memory of Neil Peart. I loved the way he expressed himself in interviews, even in his early '20s. He was a formidable artist. And I won't forget what he and his two pals meant to me, especially when I was younger.

• Contentment, baldiepete and Three Eyes like this

#13 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:15 AM

I don't think your post is trollish Slim.  I think you make some great points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users