Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#23 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

Gave my vinyl copy its first play today. It's not that bad but you can sing bits of an awful lot of past Metallica songs to these new ones. 

And poor old Lars bless him, he just keeps getting worse the more he plays. The poor lamb.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

I doubt he gives a shit.

Lars Ulrich net worth: $175 mil.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Gave my vinyl copy its first play today. It's not that bad but you can sing bits of an awful lot of past Metallica songs to these new ones. 

And poor old Lars bless him, he just keeps getting worse the more he plays. The poor lamb.

Agreed, they're definitely paying homage to their own back catalog.  The upside is the songs are strong and the melodies have good hooks.  Also, based on my own listening history with it, and the opinions of friends, it will get better with more listens.

#26 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Death Magnetic was a hundred times better.

Saying Lars has declined as a drummer is like saying a turd smells more like shit.  But the "making of" films for a number of albums demonstrate his major role in song composition.  Metallica wouldn't be the same without him.

• chemistry1973 likes this

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#27 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

Death Magnetic was a hundred times better.

Saying Lars has declined as a drummer is like saying a turd smells more like shit.  But the "making of" films for a number of albums demonstrate his major role in song composition.  Metallica wouldn't be the same without him.

Well, I disagree on Death Magnetic.  I think it's a terrible album, which I find totally unlistenable.  The sound quality is awful, and they tried recapturing their style by writing a bunch of speed metal-esque riffs and cut-and-pasting them together, resulting in a collection of really bad songs with maybe some cool parts.  The vocals and lyrics are pretty terrible too.  It was only a marginal improvement over the abysmal St. Anger.

And I have nothing against Lars, I've always liked his drumming.  He's distinct if nothing else and an integral part of what makes Metallica.  But he's really simplified his playing on the latest, most likely for longevities sake...  Ba da, ba ba ba ba, ba da, ba ba ba ba, badabadabadabada, ba!   :P  But, I think the songs are well crafted and strong, and James sounds great.

#28 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good!  Has some pretty strong tunes on it.  Not everything is good of course, and the majority of the songs drag on a bit too long.  But I don't have the official release of it either.  There was some guy back then who took all the tracks from the Guitar Hero release and remixed them himself.  I found that version, (called the "Moderus III remaster"), but it was a bit flat sounding so I re-EQ'ed it to my personal liking.  It's very passable / listenable.   :)  But I have also read that the iTunes remaster of the album was considered the best sounding version. Sans clipping et al. I haven't heard that one tho.

• stoopid likes this

#29 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Even as I was bashing Death Magnetic yesterday, I put it on just to make sure I wasn't being too harsh...  And nope, I was right.  I have the CD version, which of course sounds horrible, but none of the songs stick for me, none of the melodies are memorable, nor the lyrics, and James doesn't sound particularly good, his throat sounds tight throughout, he just barks the lyrics.  Some of the instrumentation is cool, but the choppy mess that it is just never gels for me.

#30 Cygnify

Cygnify

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ok, so I'm mostly a prog guy, but in 1986, I was 16 and the big 4 became a side obsession for a while (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer) along side Maiden, already entrenched.  Metallica lost my interest when they went all Bob Rock (and thankfully spared me from even listening to St. Anger).  I returned to check out Death Magnetic - I liked the return to thrash, but agree on the lack of memorable riffs and meandering arrangements (two of many huge production faults of that album, never mind the horrid mastering!)  Now, I am really digging Hardwired!  Certainly an homage to the first three albums, but yet has the benefits of more matured song writing in terms of arrangement and economy.  There are a couple songs that are a bit filler, but overall a bunch of great tracks.  I'm ok with Lars' playing (I don't listen to him to get my Marco, Gavin, or Dave Lombardo fix!)  The sound quality is also a vast improvement.  Nice job!

• scott14 likes this

#31 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

It's a bit contrived, like Rush saying, hey let's make Hemispheres again, but I digress.  This is good for an album or two.  If you look at Rush, I don't think we got enough Hemispheres.  One album like that wasn't enough.  Give us two.  I can see that working here and it does work.

#32 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

While I enjoy Hardwired after many listens, it's now been shelved for other music.  I may come back to it from time to time.  This is the same relationship I have with Death magnetic, it just took a little longer with DM.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#33 Kim Jong Un

Kim Jong Un

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

HTSD is really quite good. It took a few listens, but other than Am I Savage I cannot find a weak track on it.

#34 Kim Jong Un

Kim Jong Un

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

You ask forgiveness.

I give you sweet revenge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Metallica, album, new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users