27 replies to this topic

#1 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Hey if you haven’t been around in a while let us know what you’ve been up to. If you’re new, just feel free to introduce yourself. I’ll do the same but buried with work right now.
  • grep and Oak like this

#2 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

First off, many thanks @fenderjazz getting the board going again, no doubt it was a garantuan effort.

God, was it 2017 since we were up last? During those end of year holidays I went into the ER with severe angina, and found out I had a blockage in my heart, necessitating an angioplasty and stent insertion. Retired from Uncle Sam at end of February, 2018, and have been part retired and part playing nurse and caretaker to my spouse Karen. It has its rough moments, but we hold on.

Again good to see this gang up and running.
  • fenderjazz, Soddy, Greg and 4 others like this

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#3 Wandering Pixie

Wandering Pixie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

Cheers to fenderjazz for resurrecting the board.

Wandering Pixie here. I think I might have been wanderingpixie2112 at some past point? Been on the board in varying degrees since latter part of 2007, as a Peep, a Hat and a Mod. Used to be one of the SNLP (Sunday Night Listening Party) regulars back in the late 2000s.

Haven't done the board thing much in the past few years. Busy with all manner of life upheavals - including a car accident that has left me partially reliant on a cane :angry fire: - plus a lot of folks have migrated to FB. But it's good to have this place again in the wake of recent events. -_- 

• fenderjazz, Soddy, Greg and 2 others like this

#4 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Soddy/Sodoff Baldrick here. I'm linked to a number of peeps on Facebook, but for those who aren't...

My family and I dealt with a number of setbacks. I lost both of my in-laws in the last few years, and my father's health is in decline now. Almost lost my husband when a truck hit his bicycle a few years ago. My publishing job went bust; I haven't written anything since 2016. It's taking time to recover in every way.

We are still here, somehow. 

• fenderjazz, Greg, grep and 5 others like this

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#5 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

I've been miserable, curmdugeonly, hating on NuRush and riding thousands of miles uphill and down dale on a bicycle -when I haven't had a broken collarbone.

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose...

• fenderjazz, Greg, grep and 5 others like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:53 AM

Hi. My name is Grep.  I've been part of online Rush communities since the days of AOL in 1993.

Lost my job almost 4 years ago, almost lost my wife at the same time. She recovered, brave girl she is, and she's still recovering. We picked up our lives and relocated so that I'd have a chance of working again. Which I am. She's my support structure, even when I'm supporting her. Still kills me what she went through, and still is going through in a way.  She's so goddamed strong. More than I ever gave her credit for.

I didn't start off meaning to write any of that. But yet, that's our lives right now. 

Life is short, and precious. What matters is people and memories. Not stuff and situations, and bullshit. Just live folks - go out, find the world, and live. Be there for those around you.

• fenderjazz, Soddy, Greg and 4 others like this

#7 DWarner

DWarner

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:12 AM

I'm back. More mouths to feed here.

• fenderjazz, Soddy, Greg and 2 others like this

#8 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

Hi gang! Bob here. Posted occasionally, lurked more. Came to CP when TriNet died, having no clue of all the behind the scenes drama.
There is a weird bit of serendipity in my Rush fandom. I told the story before, but feel the need to share it again, I’ll try to be brief.
My brother-in-law passed away in 2002 at the age of 39. One of the things we shared was our love for Rush. A distant relative sent a sympathy card which included a print out of the lyrics from Bravado. I was floored, this guy had no way to know we were Rush fans.
I got away from Rush for a while after Signals and didn’t know the song. Looked it up, and bought DS because it was on there. Opened the package and the first thing I saw was the quote from Afterimage “Suddenly you were gone...”. Again, floored.
That’s when I delved into all things Rush and joined the online community.
Oh...what did my brother-in-law die from?
Glioblastoma...
  • fenderjazz, Greg, Three Eyes and 2 others like this
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

Hi gang! Bob here. Posted occasionally, lurked more. Came to CP when TriNet died, having no clue of all the behind the scenes drama.
There is a weird bit of serendipity in my Rush fandom. I told the story before, but feel the need to share it again, I’ll try to be brief.
My brother-in-law passed away in 2002 at the age of 39. One of the things we shared was our love for Rush. A distant relative sent a sympathy card which included a print out of the lyrics from Bravado. I was floored, this guy had no way to know we were Rush fans.
I got away from Rush for a while after Signals and didn’t know the song. Looked it up, and bought DS because it was on there. Opened the package and the first thing I saw was the quote from Afterimage “Suddenly you were gone...”. Again, floored.
That’s when I delved into all things Rush and joined the online community.
Oh...what did my brother-in-law die from?
Glioblastoma...

I am so sorry, man.  It is also great to see you back here.

• Greg likes this

#10 Contentment

Contentment

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

Contentment here (Connie for some).

I joined CP back in 2002 (or was it 2003) when Tri-Net was at it's worse. 

Some fairly mundane stuff has happened really, although I've taken a trip to NYC, 2 trips to Utah, a trip to Seattle and Renton to visit the grave of Jimi Hendrix.  Actually I've been to Jimi's grave twice if you count the day trip last year when I was visiting a friend on the east side of the Cascade Mountains for a week.  I am now planning a trip to Ireland for September of 2021...hopefully...

Oh, and I did the whole Ancestry.com DNA thing a couple summers ago.  Turns out I've got more German, and a lot less Irish than I thought considering my last name is Ryan.

• fenderjazz, grep and Rush Didact like this

Uaireanta Tá Muid Beo Ach Amháin Le Haghaidh Anseo Agus Anois

#11 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

Nice to see things back and running.

• fenderjazz and Oak like this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#12 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

sbach66 checking in. I think I joined the original board around 2000-ish (remember the old Counterparts blue background/yellow font?). I was never hugely active on the board, was always just kind of around, commented here and there.

Since then, still working for the company I was at that time (I'll hit 20 years next month), still living in FLA. Unfortunately lost my mom in 2018, to glioblastoma as well, so the news of NEP brought back a whole flood of emotions. Blessedly, unlike Neil it was relatively quick, less than 4 months from diagnosis to passing. Not easy, but it's part of life, I guess.

As I said in another thread, good to see some familiar names - like I said, I was never big at interacting, but I recognize all of you fine folks.

I do wonder (and I probably should know), whatever happened to Ken and Julie? For some reason, part of me thinks that we lost one of them, but that may just be my old age CRS kicking in.

• fenderjazz, Greg, grep and 3 others like this

#13 Wandering Pixie

Wandering Pixie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

I do wonder (and I probably should know), whatever happened to Ken and Julie? For some reason, part of me thinks that we lost one of them, but that may just be my old age CRS kicking in.

Ken and Julie stepped away from running the board some years ago, but they are both still very much alive and well.
  • Rush Didact likes this

#14 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

sbach66 checking in. I think I joined the original board around 2000-ish (remember the old Counterparts blue background/yellow font?). I was never hugely active on the board, was always just kind of around, commented here and there.

Since then, still working for the company I was at that time (I'll hit 20 years next month), still living in FLA. Unfortunately lost my mom in 2018, to glioblastoma as well, so the news of NEP brought back a whole flood of emotions. Blessedly, unlike Neil it was relatively quick, less than 4 months from diagnosis to passing. Not easy, but it's part of life, I guess.

As I said in another thread, good to see some familiar names - like I said, I was never big at interacting, but I recognize all of you fine folks.

Ken and Julie stepped away from running the board some years ago, but they are both still very much alive and well.

Yes, they just grew tired of all of this.  Real life intervenes, etc.  Those of us who still wanted it took it and run with it now (although badly I admit!)

• Greg likes this

#15 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

I checked in on the other thread here, but thought I'd update here as well. Many old Peeps, I'm friends with on FB, but so awesome to see folks who I haven't seen since CP collapsed whichever time that was.

Still in Austin, still an atheist. lol

Gutted by Peart's passing. I still can't believe it. I haven't listened to Rush in the last few years like I used to, but I've been revisiting it since he passed. I marvel at how tight-lipped his organization has been about it. With the many close and tangential relationships to some Peeps, it seems like it would have gotten out somehow. That's pretty amazing.
  • fenderjazz, grep, chemistry1973 and 3 others like this

Back.  Again.

#16 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

Me, for the most part, relatively the same.  I lost a bunch of weight in 2017, managed to keep it off.  Kids growing up, me getting older.  Work, work, work.  Usual stuff.  Thankfully boring.

• grep, Three Eyes, Rush Didact and 1 other like this

#17 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Yes, they just grew tired of all of this.  Real life intervenes, etc.  Those of us who still wanted it took it and run with it now (although badly I admit!)

Thank you both, I appreciate it! I do remember them stepping away, and I'm glad to hear that they're still out there alive and kicking!

#18 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

Thank you both, I appreciate it! I do remember them stepping away, and I'm glad to hear that they're still out there alive and kicking!

And I still can't use Multiquote correctly.

Le sigh.

#19 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:59 AM

Hello all - I'm still here under the same name I've always had.  (Kevin in real life, if you prefer.)

I think the last time I was posting somewhat regularly here, I was teaching English in Korea.  After a year and a half doing that, I came back to Ontario, went back to school, got a diploma in environmental technology, and then found myself working for Environment Canada up in Alert, Nunavut, running an atmospheric monitoring observatory.  (https://en.wikipedia...tch_Observatory)  I've been doing that since 2015.

It's a great job, I adore what I do, and it's been a unique chance to get intimately familiar with a part of the world that few people ever get to see.  But the less spectacular truth is that it's a very lonely life, and I'm very nearly finished with it.  I'm almost 35, still single, never married.  My second-to-last tour ends this week, I'm supposed to fly out on Friday.  Haven't seen the sun in more than three months.

I'll be back up in May for four more months, one last summer under the midnight sun, and then it's time to move on to "something a little more plain, maybe something a little more sane".  (Mission has been on my mind quite a bit lately...)

Thanks, Joe, for resurrecting this place.  It's good to be here again, although the circumstances are truly awful...

• fenderjazz, Wandering Hermit, grep and 2 others like this

#20 High School Halls

High School Halls

• Peeps*
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, Northwestern PA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

Howdy.  I was never a very active poster on this board, but I was always lurking and looking for news.  Former high school Earth Science teacher (hence High School Halls) but after getting fed up with politics and stupidity, I changed careers.  I now work in higher ed as an educational technologist (and anything else they ask me to do).  I was very active on the old Geddy board as Rush Teacher. (What a stupid screen name.  Not very creative at the time, I guess.  It was blatantly obvious later and then changed it to HSH. shrug.gif

Fly and his haikus

Will always be remembered

Delta Tau Ged lives on

• fenderjazz, grep and Rush Didact like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users