#41 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBack in Mad-Town, WI

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

Of all the marvelous and awe-inspiring videos of Neil doing his magic on the drums, this one has really gotten to me lately.  I love this song and Neil's contribution is something to see as it is performed for the recording.  Rest In Beats, Professor.... :(

• Greg, grep, The Gangster of Boats and 3 others like this

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#42 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

Joe, thank you for un-shuttering the old joint.
I have little to add, just RIP to The Professor. It’s comforting to be able to share this sad moment in time with like-minded Rush friends.
Peace to you all.
  • Greg and grep like this
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#43 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

It’s really hard to put into words how nice it is to see all of you show up here. I feel like we should just all pick a weekend and meet somewhere. Not a “con” but maybe a low key meetup.
  • Greg, grep, Rush Didact and 3 others like this

#44 High School Halls

High School Halls

• Peeps*
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, Northwestern PA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:51 AM

Hi all. I didn’t post here a lot, but did a lot of lurking.  Was much more active on the old Geddy board.  

My wife and I just checked in to a hotel when a former work friend texted.  All I could say was, “No!”  I had to show my wife the message on my phone. I couldn’t say those awful words.  We went to the room and I sat and cried. Contacted a few close friends. And then I had to put on ‘my bravest face’ and go to a Trevor Noah show. It was very hard to laugh. Still feeling very lost.  2020 sucks already. 

• Greg and grep like this

#45 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

True about immortal for a limited time.

I guess there will be no next tour

Rush trying to be the next Spinal Tap

• Greg likes this

#46 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

For anybody that has SiriusXM, they've turned the Deep Tracks channel into a limited time Rush tribute channel. Obviously not going to be anything there we haven't heard before, but I find I like the randomness of it, not knowing what's coming up next, and hearing some stuff I haven't heard in a while. (Listening to 'Heresy' right now, don't know the last time I heard that one.)
  • Greg likes this

#47 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

I always thought, or wished, in the back of my mind they'd reunite for 3 or 4 shows one last time. Hard to believe this is really it.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#48 Jay

Jay

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

I got this on October 22 last year. A little 40th birthday gift to myself. I'd been wanting to do it for years.

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk
  • Greg and Wandering Pixie like this

#49 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

I posted this on the Rush Forum, but would have posted here, if I knew that the board was back!

--

The disbelief has worn off a bit, and I've been able to wrap my brain around all this.

And so many poignant words have already been typed, with so many fans expressing thoughts and emotions that I share.

I think the deal with so many die-hard fans is that the connection to the band is somewhat intimate for us. Rush was a discovery that was OURS. In the heyday, when Rush were still a cult band, it meant instant friendship if you discovered someone else at your school was a Rush fan. And there was palpable excitement when you'd hear them on the radio, or catch a video on MTV (by 1990, seeing Rush on MTV was RARE, but it happened!).

Sewn into the Rush fabric of fandom is the interconnectedness that the ENTIRE Rush community has with each other. There are thousands, maybe millions of us, and we have an immediate understanding of the core sensibilities of each and every one of us.

The band itself, shares in that interconnectedness -- like plants in a rainforest.

So when someone, like Neil Peart, passes away, we feel that loss as a collective organism. We are all a part of it. The feeling of loss gets magnified because we can imagine the many thousands of people (whom we don't know) grieving the way we are. Very much like the Force.

The foundation for all of this, of course, is the band, and their musical output: 45 Years of interesting music. From bar band rock and roll to prog metal - to pop music. From GREAT to embarassing (haha!). 3 middle class, down-to-earth suburban dudes who share a special musical alchemy head out into the world to find their fortune. Neil Peart was the ultimate US - intelligent, powerful, brooding, bookish, artistic, musical. We knew, when we were 16, that being a jock, or courting popularity, was just not in the cards, and as Rush showed, not at all necessary. That it was all a trick. That being a follower meant death.

That was the dream for so many fans: leaving home and conquering the world with their friends. And friendship is at the heart of all of this. Real friendship is through thick and thin, drunk or sober, fat or skinny.

The groupie fantasy is just that - I mean shit it happens, and it's so much fun being young, in a band, getting non-stop pussy, but all of that is fleeting. That's not why we are fans of Rush. It's deeper. Motley Crue is a fun rock and roll band, but be honest: you don't really go back to those records like you do with Rush, or other GREAT bands.

Can you get more "fantasy" than the 80s glam-rock heyday? How ridiculous! All the posturing, pouting and bullshit, and not to mention the havoc it wreaked on the actual lives of so many of these musicians. Rush just sailed above all that.

Ironically, Rush was maligned by critics for being "fantasy music". "Sci-Fi, nerdy, dorky..." But it was so much more grounded in reality than EVERYTHING else. The truth is that their music disturbed critics, because it made that the other nonsense they were highlighting (because of money, drugs, whatever reason) so much more apparent. Perhaps look at a side by side of 80s Geddy vs. 80s Vince Neil. Geddy (no makeup, giant nose, glasses) makes Vince (makeup, blond tresses) look utterly hilarious.

Critics HATED Rush because Rush (Especially Neil f***ing Peart) wouldn't play the dumb game.

It's no mystery that critics made their real money blackmailing bands - promising good stories in exchange for money and access. Rush worked on a much more natural system - quid pro quo. You be nice to us FIRST, and maybe we'll let YOU in.

Think of all the blow Motley Crue had to buy for all those Radio scumbags...

It's so sad that it takes Neil Peart's passing to inspire me, and remind me of those reasons why I loved the band to begin with.

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story

In your head is the answer
Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor
And the beat of your song

I resolve to embrace music more, to follow my muse more, to give more love to the world (and those I already love). To be a better citizen of the world. To recognize that the clock is ticking, and that the time to act is now.

What a gift to the world Neil Peart was, and IS!

• Greg, grep, AsIfToFly and 3 others like this

#50 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

With a little time behind me, I think I can actually get through a post. I've tried to a few times the past two days, but each time my eyes filled and were too bleary to get through. It's odd. I would never have thought I would be moved to the level of emotion that has hit me. Obviously I love the band. Obviously I love all the fantastic music they've given us, and have savored every one of the fifty shows I've attended, but I never expected to be overcome and yet I have again and again. 

All I can say is Thank You for all the happiness, inspiration and awe you've inspired; the thought provoking words you left behind for us. I was not his friend, but so many times, in so many different ways he and they were my friends and gave me other friends who "got it" just like me. 

If you have not seen Lawrence Gowan of Styx perform a solo snippet of Limelight from their show last Friday when we all got the news, you should check it out. He's done it two more times since but that first one, the emotion in it, with the crowd beginning to sing along at the end was in a word, magic! Done with class!

• Greg, grep, SpaceGhost2112 and 2 others like this

#51 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

It’s really hard to put into words how nice it is to see all of you show up here. I feel like we should just all pick a weekend and meet somewhere. Not a “con” but maybe a low key meetup.

If this happens, I would meet you there, wherever 'there' is.

I can't tell you what a mix of feelings it is to find this place active again and see all the old familiar names.  CP was an enormous part of my life during my teens and 20s.  I remember when I first signed up in early 2001, I was the youngest member at 15 years old.  I'm 34 now, heading into 35.

I did a lot of growing up here.  Every now and then something will trigger a memory of some post I made and it'll make me cringe in embarrassment.  I'm sorry to anyone here who has a lingering impression of me as a stubborn, hot-headed, opinionated asshole.  If it helps, I wouldn't have liked 22-year-old me either.

Unfortunately, I was also too young to participate fully in the friendships that others here made, the ones that continued into the offline world.  I never made it to a con, and I only met a few of you by chance at the Ottawa show in 2008.  By the time I found a measure of stability and financial security, Rush had retired and the board had crashed.

It's awful that Neil's death is the reason we're all here again, but such as it is, I'm glad I have you all to talk to.  I've been posting regularly over at TRF, but it feels right to be here.

• Greg, River Alph, SpaceGhost2112 and 4 others like this

#52 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

Early pic of Neil Peart and his parents while visiting with him when he lived in England

https://www.facebook...1738668?sfns=mo

276-DD062-CC2-E-40-F0-A35-D-3296-ACE4-DD

• sbach66, Rush Didact and Rick N Backer like this

#53 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

This picture surfaced post-passing and it's thought to be from 2018 based on certain clues in the shot.  You can see here that he's not well.  What I marvel at is how secret his illness was and really, I think that's why so many of us have had mini-break downs over his death.  It was all just a big terrible surprise.  

The outpouring has been amazing.  The depth of impact he had on so many people around the world is staggering.  It's crazy that we, myself included, felt so close to him thru his music...even though hardly any one of us met him.  Except for one time some dude met him on a ferry, I understand.  ;)

Anyhow, millions of words have been said about him in these last days.  His impact was just huge...

Attached Files

• Hundred Names, Rush Didact and High School Halls like this

Back.  Again.

#54 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:34 PM

Wow. He does not look good.

Fucking cancer. Fuck that shit.
  • chemistry1973 and Wandering Pixie like this

#55 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

It's good to see CP back up...just wish our "reunion" was under less sad circumstances. What a bolt from the blue the news was last week. I had wondered a time or two how I would feel when a member of Rush passed, but I figured it was something we probably wouldn't be dealing with for another decade at least. After a couple of days of just feeling in a state of mild shock and incredulity about it, it was watching Lawrence Gowan's "Limelight" tribute that grabbed the heart strings hard. Somehow seeing other artists paying tribute to Neil was what made it more real.

I think something like this hits home in a broader sense in that it's another piece of the world of our youth breaking off and floating away (for Rush fans, it's a pretty big piece). A reminder of the passage of time and our own mortality. When we were young, the prospect of our heroes growing old and eventually leaving us seemed like such a far-off prospect that it felt like that day would never come, like the time before us was endless. But of course it wasn't and isn't, and now here we are already.

Nothing to do but be grateful to Neil for helping spark my interest in music and for all the work he shared with us over the years. But I imagine it's going to take a while to not still feel a note of sadness when listening to Rush.

• Greg, grep, Wandering Pixie and 5 others like this

#56 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:55 AM

Hi all. I didn’t post here a lot, but did a lot of lurking.  Was much more active on the old Geddy board.  

My wife and I just checked in to a hotel when a former work friend texted.  All I could say was, “No!”  I had to show my wife the message on my phone. I couldn’t say those awful words.  We went to the room and I sat and cried. Contacted a few close friends. And then I had to put on ‘my bravest face’ and go to a Trevor Noah show. It was very hard to laugh. Still feeling very lost.  2020 sucks already. 

Nice to see you HSH! Its been a while!

It's good to see CP back up...just wish our "reunion" was under less sad circumstances.

Hi DaveG, nice to see you!

• DaveG and High School Halls like this

one dog shy of a crazy dog lady...

10372070_10208404765103125_8737333802112

#57 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

As Soddy mentioned in the books thread, I started reading Neil's "Far" series; I'm about halfway through the first one, and I had read most of these stories on the website before, but been quite a while. In the book, his wife is about to give birth to his daughter. It just struck me again how sad this whole story is; the loss of his daughter and first wife, then just as he retires to truly live the life he wants with his family, he is robbed of it by cancer. Just awful. 

And make no mistake, this kind of story plays out every day to "ordinary" people all over the world, and I am in no way belittling their tragic circumstances or saying his is worse (and I know some people will say. "well, he lived a great life due to his fame, he was able to do things the rest of us will never have the chance to, so why is his death so special"). It's just sad, no matter the individual.

Fuck cancer.

• grep, chemistry1973, Wandering Pixie and 5 others like this

#58 Body Electric

Body Electric

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe outer fringes of Portlandia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

As Soddy mentioned in the books thread, I started reading Neil's "Far" series; I'm about halfway through the first one, and I had read most of these stories on the website before, but been quite a while. In the book, his wife is about to give birth to his daughter. It just struck me again how sad this whole story is; the loss of his daughter and first wife, then just as he retires to truly live the life he wants with his family, he is robbed of it by cancer. Just awful. 

And make no mistake, this kind of story plays out every day to "ordinary" people all over the world, and I am in no way belittling their tragic circumstances or saying his is worse (and I know some people will say. "well, he lived a great life due to his fame, he was able to do things the rest of us will never have the chance to, so why is his death so special"). It's just sad, no matter the individual.

Fuck cancer.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I heard. Some folks over at TRF were posting about feeling guilty for not wanting Neil to retire, for wanting the band to continue, and I can relate. As a Rush fan, I was a latecomer - I didn't seriously get into them until around 2004, and I saw them live 5 times between then and their retirement. I cherished every single one of those shows, and I would give them all back in a heartbeat if it meant Neil could've spent more time with his family.

• grep and Rush Didact like this

#59 Kirk

Kirk

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN area

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Great to see this place back up... and see all the familiar names. I joined this community in the NMS days and mostly hung out in the musicians area, but always lurked in the others...even met a few of you at a show or two. 

Hope you all are doing well! 

• Greg, grep and Rush Didact like this

#60 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

This showed up in my FB feed. I am not familiar with the publication but it’s a good read.

https://www.google.c...of-freedom/amp/
  • fast eddie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users