23 replies to this topic

#1 LeStudio

LeStudio

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

"Art is anything you can make and get someone else to buy" ...... P. Picasso

I thought I would start a new thread to respond to many of the thoughts and .....ideas...... expressed on the topic I started last month regarding the ill conceived and executed retirement of the band.  And may I start this by stating that I did indeed  have two 8 track tapes of Donna Summer and I do dearly miss her  as well...... Now back on topic: 

Some of the responses I got I just new were coming, such as, they are too old, Geddy's vocals sound like a zombie roadkill cat,  the indefatigable "Get a life" - despite my self-deprecation.  The one I really like is "They don't (blanking) owe us anything man!!  Forty (blanking) years is long enough!!"  Then of course the predictable detours to the afore mentioned Donna Summer, farting, etc.  I do love you all, seriously.

I would like to respond to the 'they don't owe us anything and can do whatever the (blank) they want' idea.  First off, your absolutely right.  They CAN do whatever they want.  America and Canada are both free countries, and personal freedom is the concept both countries are chartered under.  Additionally, they are all so incredibly rich and have such great personal financial freedom that they and their families can go and do whatever they want, when they want to. No question about that.  I am the last person to suggest they don't have these privileges.

However, SHOULD they do this (retire nebulously)?  I am thinking that the personal wealth that they enjoy didn't just show up.  Now, one can play the ole "entertainer contract" thread, you know, YOU PAID THEM, THEY PLAYED, deal done- over.   That too is true ..... but wow, they have had such an incredible run of success, due to extraordinary fans - fans being the overwhelmingly, preeminent force behind their induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I do think in this one area, that is, retirement, they do OWE us better than , " definitely maybe, kinda, sorta,...."  We are talking 40 years of patronage, not just them playing their hearts out.

Not only that, but for an artist, any artist, especially in the "Limelight" arena of popular music, with all it's vices and vicissitudes, the temptations, the constant destructive pull on any group to stay together, again this longevity and relative harmony is an extraordinary accomplishment.  What artist wouldn't want to put the definitive culminating touch on their life's work?  Work that is clearly dear to them.  A 'possibly end of the road' tour is not worthy of the culmination this art work deserves.

I don't completely agree with the Geddy vocal haters.  The first thing I said to my son as we left our $420 rafter seats behind at the Scott Trade Center in St. Louis last summer was how good Geddy sounded (admittedly, the $420 expense could have colored my observations that night).  I thought he sang some challenging material rather well.  I was shocked by the vocals on the R40 CD, and that is not what I heard in STL.  I think he had a bad night, or they simply waited too long in the tour, he was tired (he was 62 you know) and they were obviously committed to those shows as the live recorded performances. Given how recorded vocals can be polished in the studio, I don't see any problem with them recording one last album.

And that, in my opinion is how they could rightfully culminate this act.  I want to see an album dealing with the end.  Finis.  I want to hear Neal's retrospective thoughts on the past, and hopeful look to their futures in ways they have yet to express.  One last guitar tirade from Alex, one last Fender flash from Geddy.  What is lost here, is the opportunity THEY are passing up.  To be able to put a project such as this to bed, after soooo many years of wonderful experiences and artistic expression is a privilege experienced by few.  Rush should avail themselves of this opportunity and not pass it up.  They deserve it. 

And yeah:  they play, I pay - then they are done.  A deal is a deal.

#2 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well, technically there probably are a few songs with "retrospective thoughts on the past" on the last album - I mean - Headlong Flight, The Garden - come to mind.

I get what you're saying, though.

All I really want to see from Rush is a Rush/Max Webster 2017 tour.  That would be great fun. "PyeDuboisPaLooza".

It'd be great to see them all come out and jam on each other's songs.  That'd be a unique concert DVD worth getting.

• LeStudio likes this

#3 sickasadog

sickasadog

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

I would rather have their imperfect, vague, open-ended retirement than almost any other alternative.

Consider this:

The Tragically Hip, a band that is as much a part of the soundtrack of my life as Rush is, plays their final show in my city tonight. They have billed this cross-Canada tour as their final tour after revealing that singer Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. Here is a scenario where the band can almost definitively say "This is it!" The tour has become a national event and celebration here in Canada, culminating in a final show in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario which will be broadcast live on the CBC.

All this being said, I doubt there would be many fans of the Hip who would be angry if Gord had a miraculous recovery (à la Jimmy Carter) and they were to tour again at some point.

Would anyone wish this kind of definite end for Rush? Of course not.

I feel it is unreasonable to expect the members of Rush to predetermine their future actions and bind themselves to some artificial retirement contract. Asking a band to retire and not play music as a band ever again is akin to asking a mechanic to retire and never work on an engine again. Or asking an accountant to retire and never do taxes for themselves or their family again. Or asking an athlete to retire and never coach. Or asking chef to retire and never treat someone to a home-cooked meal. Or...

• LeStudio likes this

#4 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

I did not know Canada was a free country. I'm not even sure I knew it was a country...

Hey...where's Perry?

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

I think Rush should find a way to have a creative outlet that fits their lifestyles.  Whether that is solo projects or a short residency or just releasing a song or two, that's fine.  We as fans have to realize that whatever they do, it's not going to top 2112 or Moving Pictures and that they aren't going to perform like they did on the Permanent Waves Tour.  It's going to be different. 

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

I think they're retired from touring but quite possibly not recording. That's a compromise I can live with. But at the end of the day, I really don't need to know their plans.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

I'm good. They were amazing. I'm more interested in the potential of their individual original material. I don't think I could bare listening to Geddy squawk through Subdivisions, much less 2112 ever again.

It's done.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

🤓

#9 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

I'm good. They were amazing.

Yes, they were amazing.

They're old now. Leave them be.

I'm very nearly old now, there's still lots of old stuff by lots of old bands to investigate, even some new stuff by new bands. I need more time.

Enjoy being retired Rush - but not you Purt - eat drink and be curmudgeonly.

• chemistry1973 and LeStudio like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Well put.

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'm good. They were amazing. I'm more interested in the potential of their individual original material. I don't think I could bare listening to Geddy squawk through Subdivisions, much less 2112 ever again.

It's done.

When it comes to Geddy singing classic Rush songs I can't agree with you more. 

However, I think they still have new music in them and that's what I'd like to hear. 

• chemistry1973 and LeStudio like this

5vtWSE.jpg

#12 LeStudio

LeStudio

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

I would rather have their imperfect, vague, open-ended retirement than almost any other alternative.

Consider this:

The Tragically Hip, a band that is as much a part of the soundtrack of my life as Rush is, plays their final show in my city tonight. They have billed this cross-Canada tour as their final tour after revealing that singer Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. Here is a scenario where the band can almost definitively say "This is it!" The tour has become a national event and celebration here in Canada, culminating in a final show in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario which will be broadcast live on the CBC.

All this being said, I doubt there would be many fans of the Hip who would be angry if Gord had a miraculous recovery (à la Jimmy Carter) and they were to tour again at some point.

Would anyone wish this kind of definite end for Rush? Of course not.

I feel it is unreasonable to expect the members of Rush to predetermine their future actions and bind themselves to some artificial retirement contract. Asking a band to retire and not play music as a band ever again is akin to asking a mechanic to retire and never work on an engine again. Or asking an accountant to retire and never do taxes for themselves or their family again. Or asking an athlete to retire and never coach. Or asking chef to retire and never treat someone to a home-cooked meal. Or...

True that.

#13 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

When it comes to Geddy signing classic Rush songs I can't agree with you more. 

Is that for the many audience members who are now deaf from 40 years of Rush concerts?

• chemistry1973 likes this

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Is that for the many audience members who are now deaf from 40 years of Rush concerts?

Nope. He began signing the songs due to popular demand.

#15 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

Maybe semaphore would work.

5vtWSE.jpg

#16 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

They've been shit for far longer than they were outstanding.

Maybe Peart just realised this.

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.

#17 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

As much as I loved R40, you could tell Peart's heart wasn't in it.

#18 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hopefully SW will realize this and reform PT.

#19 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:15 AM

Hopefully SW will realize this and reform PT.

Not going to happen. I recently read a Q&A with him and someone asked him about PT and he said something to the effect of, "that isn't a band anymore".

"We actually have not required in this law that you carry health insurance."

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

#20 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well that sux ballz...didn't know that PT is over.

I'm fine with Rush doing what they did. If there was ever a time for them to stop touring, they may have passed that up some time ago. Geddy's voice is shot. Neil is sick of the whole deal and Alex is having his issues too. I would welcome studio offerings from them. And if Geddy could sing along the lines of MFH, that could work. Old Rush is just not in his wheelhouse without embarrassing himself.

Back.  Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users