#1 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

Anyone else watched/watching this? Just started a couple days ago and have two episodes left. Kind of a cool bit of self-indulgent fun for those who grew up in the '80s. It's very reminiscent of earlier Stephen King fare like It and Stand by Me with a little bit of Firestarter thrown in. Some have described it as pandering or some '80s lover's j@#koff session or whatever, but I find it one of the more decently-done '80s period pieces that captures a lot of the flavor of the era for those of us who lived it. I don't think it's destined to be a classic, but it's fun.

The soundtrack is kind of a cool nostalgic thing too. Don't know that I'd put it up there with the classic '80s synth-based soundtracks like some of John Carpenter's scores or The Terminator, but it has that general character, lots of analog synths and repeating arpeggiated patterns. The songs used in it are mostly period-accurate (it's set in 1983), but I did catch a slip or two, like using The Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" that didn't come out until 1987.

• fenderjazz and chemistry1973 like this

#2 gornhay

gornhay

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

Just binged watched it all,this week. Thought it was excellent.

#3 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

I really enjoyed it. Winona was great. Millie Brown was fantastic; very emotive for being so young and having so few lines. I would estimate I was about the same age as the kids in the show when this was based. Being a big D&D/Table Top RPG nerd, it really played to my childhood nostalgia. I'm not a fan of modern horror, which is usually just a gore-fest. I like that they went with more traditional jump scare, monster tease style of horror. It is obvious that the creators are heavily influenced by films involving Spielberg and King.

#4 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

I watched a bit, liked what I saw but don't really know the story line very well...I thought the soundtrack sounded kinda PTish at times, but then I hear that a lot in recent soundtracks...has SW done any soundtrack work???
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#5 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • Locationa deep dark hole

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Here's a (not so) strange thing.....

Starting Monday, Pennsylvania's 6 percent state sales tax will be extended to digital downloads and streaming subscription services like Netflix and Hulu.

If a customer uses an account with a Pennsylvania billing address, the tax will be imposed. Businesses are responsible for collecting the tax and remitting it to the state Department of Revenue.

http://m.wtae.com/ne...lvania/40977976

#6 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Gave it half an episode.  Switched off bored.

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

Gave it half an episode.  Switched off bored.

The first episode is like a very boring episode of The X Files.  You need to get through the second episode of this show to see what it truly is like.  It's quite good.  A blend of X-Files, The Goonies with homages to Steven King and 80s horror.  The cultural references to how life was in the US, in the 80s are spot on.

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

I watched a bit, liked what I saw but don't really know the story line very well...I thought the soundtrack sounded kinda PTish at times, but then I hear that a lot in recent soundtracks...has SW done any soundtrack work???

The soundtrack is an homage to John Carpenter.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

The first episode is like a very boring episode of The X Files.  You need to get through the second episode of this show to see what it truly is like.  It's quite good.  A blend of X-Files, The Goonies with homages to Steven King and 80s horror.  The cultural references to how life was in the US, in the 80s are spot on.

I should give it a second chance. I only got through an episode and a half before giving up on it.

It definitely has DNA from King properties like The Body and It.

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

First season was good. Second was excellent. Third one seems to spiral into self-parody with the whole Russian interference bit. 

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Ob-la-do, a deer, a female deer...

#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

The soundtrack is an homage to John Carpenter.

I love that soundtrack, and JC's work as well.

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

I love that soundtrack, and JC's work as well.

Yes.  The influences on the show are part of what makes it great.  Character development has been quite good as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users