#1 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

Anyone else watched/watching this? Just started a couple days ago and have two episodes left. Kind of a cool bit of self-indulgent fun for those who grew up in the '80s. It's very reminiscent of earlier Stephen King fare like It and Stand by Me with a little bit of Firestarter thrown in. Some have described it as pandering or some '80s lover's j@#koff session or whatever, but I find it one of the more decently-done '80s period pieces that captures a lot of the flavor of the era for those of us who lived it. I don't think it's destined to be a classic, but it's fun.

The soundtrack is kind of a cool nostalgic thing too. Don't know that I'd put it up there with the classic '80s synth-based soundtracks like some of John Carpenter's scores or The Terminator, but it has that general character, lots of analog synths and repeating arpeggiated patterns. The songs used in it are mostly period-accurate (it's set in 1983), but I did catch a slip or two, like using The Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" that didn't come out until 1987.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#2 gornhay

gornhay

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

Just binged watched it all,this week. Thought it was excellent.

#3 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

I really enjoyed it. Winona was great. Millie Brown was fantastic; very emotive for being so young and having so few lines. I would estimate I was about the same age as the kids in the show when this was based. Being a big D&D/Table Top RPG nerd, it really played to my childhood nostalgia. I'm not a fan of modern horror, which is usually just a gore-fest. I like that they went with more traditional jump scare, monster tease style of horror. It is obvious that the creators are heavily influenced by films involving Spielberg and King.

#4 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

I watched a bit, liked what I saw but don't really know the story line very well...I thought the soundtrack sounded kinda PTish at times, but then I hear that a lot in recent soundtracks...has SW done any soundtrack work???
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#5 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Here's a (not so) strange thing.....

Starting Monday, Pennsylvania's 6 percent state sales tax will be extended to digital downloads and streaming subscription services like Netflix and Hulu.

If a customer uses an account with a Pennsylvania billing address, the tax will be imposed. Businesses are responsible for collecting the tax and remitting it to the state Department of Revenue.

http://m.wtae.com/ne...lvania/40977976
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#6 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

• DaveG and Bones like this

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

Looks killer.
  • Bones likes this

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

There are so many Netflix shows that I don't have time to watch I no longer bother. Thx for the review, maybe I'll try this one.

#9 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:46 AM

There are so many Netflix shows that I don't have time to watch I no longer bother. Thx for the review, maybe I'll try this one.

Same here.  I never watched Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or any of those shows that everyone was watching.  Made time for this one though.  Watch season 1. It's worth it. 

#10 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:17 AM

With the analog synth soundtrack, I'll probably be happy regardless of what's on the screen.

But damn, if it doesn't look killer.

Totally 80's third line.

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Cool. I have season 1 on awards screener laying around here. Will check it out.

We live in a strange era. There are literally TOO MANY high quality shows to watch nowadays. We're a long way from The Fonz jumping that mythical shark.

Some good ones I've watched over the past year or so....

The Knick (Period hospital drama set in NYC circa 1910 starring Clive Owen. Canceled after two brilliant seasons.)

American Crime (Realistic crime drama with inter-meshed plot-lines. Canceled after three brilliant seasons.) 

Black Mirror (Terrific modern day Twilight Zone about tech dread. First 2 seasons originally broadcast on Britain's Channel 4. Netflix paid for a third season and it's available there. I think the first two seasons are there now too. I've only seen the third. Each episode is a stand-alone story. Can't speak highly enough about this show! I know some of you have mentioned it before but it bears repeating here.)

Mr. Robot (Awesome show about hackers trying to take down the world's banks. I've only seen season 1 so far.)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Anyone else watched/watching this? Just started a couple days ago and have two episodes left. Kind of a cool bit of self-indulgent fun for those who grew up in the '80s. It's very reminiscent of earlier Stephen King fare like It and Stand by Me with a little bit of Firestarter thrown in. Some have described it as pandering or some '80s lover's j@#koff session or whatever, but I find it one of the more decently-done '80s period pieces that captures a lot of the flavor of the era for those of us who lived it. I don't think it's destined to be a classic, but it's fun.

The soundtrack is kind of a cool nostalgic thing too. Don't know that I'd put it up there with the classic '80s synth-based soundtracks like some of John Carpenter's scores or The Terminator, but it has that general character, lots of analog synths and repeating arpeggiated patterns. The songs used in it are mostly period-accurate (it's set in 1983), but I did catch a slip or two, like using The Bangles' "Hazy Shade of Winter" that didn't come out until 1987.

Black Mirror's season 3, episode 4 "San Junipero" has a super inventive plot that's heavy on '80s nostalgia, if you're interested. There's been a lot of buzz around this episode.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#13 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

Same here.  I never watched Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or any of those shows that everyone was watching.  Made time for this one though.  Watch season 1. It's worth it. 

Yes on Season 1, it's retro joy for Gen X and really well done.  It's like watching The Goonies, ET, and anything by John Carpenter all rolled into one.

And funny, those types of shows are the only things I watch on TV.  Sunday night cable dramas and a few Netflix series sprinkled in comprise my 4-5 hours of weekly television.  I don't binge watch more than 2-3 episodes at a time, actually not a fan of the Netflix formula of dropping a whole season at once.

#14 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Mr. Robot (Awesome show about hackers trying to take down the world's banks. I've only seen season 1 so far.)

I am halfway through season 2. Mr. Robot is excellent...and terrifying!

• Three Eyes likes this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#15 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Darn..i dont have Netflix.  I have HULU.   This show looks good tho.  Is that the voice of Vincent Price ?

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#16 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

I really enjoyed the first season.  Quite looking forward to season 2.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#17 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Ooooh, I hadn't seen the season 2 trailer. Looks good! Should be fun to watch at least the first couple of episodes on Halloween.

So many cool things to look forward to the rest of this year (including this year's superhero flicks that I didn't get to see at the theater because our local theaters suck and their 50-year-old seats give my better half a sore back).

#18 Burger King Diamond

Burger King Diamond

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

We live in a strange era. There are literally TOO MANY high quality shows to watch nowadays.

#PeakTV

• Three Eyes likes this

#19 River Alph

River Alph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

#20 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here