• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Starscream2112

Starscream2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I just finished reading Ready Player one and really enjoyed it. Now that the film of the book is in production I wounder if they will keep the Rush part of the story? Movies of books often cut and change bits from the book for timing or they could not secure the rights. I would imagine Rush would like to be part of the story because it would introduce a whole new audience to them and increase sales of there albums. What do you think. Will the Rush part of the story be in the movie?

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

I read the book years ago and I sure the hell hope they keep the Rush stuff in especially since it figures largely in the plot. But what makes the book so much fun is also what makes it so daunting to turn into a movie: It is rife with plot specific brand mentions. Securing the rights for all these brands is likely not possible or even financially sensible so the studio will probably have to pick and choose what they really want to keep. I hope Rush plays ball. Since this is a major film production their management might be less tight-assed than they are with the little guy especially if they stand to make some scratch out of it.

• Mission Position likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:20 AM

it figures largely in the plot. 

It does?  It's been a few years but I recall one full page being all about Rush. And that was it. The movie producers will easily use something else in it's place.

#4 Inspector 12

Inspector 12

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationInland West

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

It does?  It's been a few years but I recall one full page being all about Rush. And that was it. The movie producers will easily use something else in it's place.

Way more than one page.  A whole chapter at least is an homage to 2112.  2112 is crucial (or I should say, knowledge of it) in getting the Crystal Key to open the Crystal Gate (which is the final gate).  I don't know how they can just skim over it or replace it without a huge chunk of that portion of the plot missing.

• Three Eyes likes this

Could be meat, could be cake.

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:24 AM

They'll just use a Bieber album. No biggie.

• Three Eyes likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

It's a key plot point that leads to the climax.

It could be switched out of course. Any story can be changed.  But it would be an awkward change for readers of the book and it would really suck for us Rush fans and presumably also for the book's author, Earnest Cline, who surely must be a Rush fan himself.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

Dayum Spielberg is directing. Imagine him directing Rush content.

Tye Sheridan Will Be the Virtual Hero of Spielberg’s Ready Player One

February 24, 2016 11:12 p.m.

By Jackson McHenry 

SOURCE

Tye Sheridan, who was once that cute little boy in The Tree of Life and will soon be Cyclops in the next X-Men installment, apparently has enough game to lead Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One. Deadline reports that Sheridan will play Wade Watts in Spielberg's adaptation of Ernest Cline's 2011 novel. Watts is a boy from the outskirts of dystopian Oklahoma who loves to play a massive virtual-reality game known as OASIS and eventually stumbles on a series of Easter eggs in the form of pop-culture references left by the game's creator. Sheridan joins Bloodline's Ben Mendelsohn, who will play the villain, and Olivia Cooke, who will play the female lead. Ready Player One is set to open on March 30, 2018, after moving back from December 2017 to make way for Star Wars VIII.

Tye Sheridan as Wade Watts

tye_sheridan_embed.jpg

Olivia Cooke as Samantha / Art3mis

olivia-cooke-premiere-bates-motel-01.jpg

Ben Mendelsohn the villainous Nolan Sorrento

#8 Starscream2112

Starscream2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

http://www.comingsoo...s-here#/slide/1

First trailer.

#9 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

My biggest fear about the adaptation would be that they'd leave the Rush content out, which would of course cause me to boycott it.  When Rush shared the trailer on Facebook, I kinda figured that wasn't going to be an issue.   :P

#10 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

Like 3E pointed out above.... the book is just ripe with references that map to real intellectual property, and these references play key parts in the story.   I don't see how the licensing will work!

...and the characters are supposed to be normal looking people.

Oh well, I'm sure it will be fun... but nowhere near as cool as the book.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Fixed this thread.

Three Eyes post above with the pictures had an additional picture that linked to a known malware-infested site.  Three Eyes, please check your machine out with Malwarebytes just in case.  I advise anyone else who was on the page to do the same.  I edited the post to remove that reference and all is well.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

Yikes. Sorry about that. I haven't noticed any issues with my computer. I probably posted this with my old computer. (Which also seems to be running fine. I still use it occasionally).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users