• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 LeStudio

LeStudio

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

(Warning:  This is most likely a regrettable post that I am engaging in to avoid staining my deck.)

So next month, it will have been one year since the retirement, or so we think, kind of pretty sure.  I am not holding my breath for anything, but wouldn't some true and definite statement on the actual position of the band be nice?  Just something to allow closure to the many, many Rush fans who are interested?  Perhaps falsely hoping for new material that will never materialize? 

So far as I am aware, the retirement "announcements" went something like this:  'This is the likely last major tour of the band' - Rush management, 'She referred to me as a retired drummer, and come to think of it, I guess I am.  This is an athletic endeavor and I'm getting old......etc' - NEP, 'No, we are not retired'- GL, 'That is not what he meant'-GL, 'We have one great album left'-GL, 'We are itching to get back into the studio'- AL, 'There are no definite plans, Neal's in a good place right now'- AL, 'We are definitely not finished'- AL,  (cricket noises)-NEP.   I could go on, but hey, we all have lives.  Sort of..... I mean, I am writing this, and you are reading it.

This is a crazy idea, but how about if Neal just put this thing to rest, one way or the other by actually saying something?  You know, like, "I really am done.  Leave me alone, go away.  Thanks for the $".  Something.  Throw us a bone, man!  Peart is a wordsmith, a literary craftsman, it is ironic to me that he is so dubious and negligent in getting his thoughts regarding the bands finality out into the public sphere.  Especially if he just wants to be left alone.  

Alright, rant finished.  My deck won't stain itself apparently.  It is still there ........ crying out to me.  

#2 ClassicB

ClassicB

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

I agree. I honestly don't think RUSH has "one more great album" left in them. 

I'm to the point that after this last tour (especially the second set) and the success it had, I'm not sure i would see RUSH again. I've been a die hard fan for 35 years and not sure i would totally get into a new album if the album went in the same direction as TFE, Vapor Trails, Snakes, and CA. and associated in concert stage props. 

RUSH should officially call it a career and go out knowing that they went out on top with a sold out tour.

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

I would see a true "rareties" tour even with a different drummer and even a guest vocalist on certain tracks. I don't know if I have the patience for another clockwork angels tour.

#4 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

Who are you (collectively) kidding...  They could record Clockwork Angels II and tour dual sets of it and the 20th Anniversary of Test For Echo in their entirety and you'd see a dozen shows between you...   :P

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:33 PM

You know what they say: no news is good news. But why ask for Neil to state definitively that he's retired? I don't even think about it. If they record another album, yippie. If not, well okay, I get it.

• stoopid likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

The drummer is done. Geds and Al aren't. So, no more Rush. But good music still to come.
  • chemistry1973 and jeffro like this

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

I recently talked to a drum magazine pal of mine.

It might not be over.

#8 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

@ LeStudio, I get where you're coming from and I've had some of those same thoughts. A definitive retirement notice would be nice. However, the lack of one may speak to the possibility of more stuff to come. On the other hand, who knows? Personally, I don't want to let go yet. I've been deeply nostalgic about Rush since the last tour ended. It's sad to think that this is the end. However, they lasted longer than I ever could have hoped they would. As a fan, I'm grateful for the body of work I have to look back on.

• Three Eyes and LeStudio like this

5vtWSE.jpg

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

If they are retiring, they are retiring far earlier than many of their contemporaries and influences.

The surviving Beatles and Stones, where all instrument-playing and singing bands flow from, still tour.
  • grep likes this

#10 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

If they are retiring, they are retiring far earlier than many of their contemporaries and influences.

The surviving Beatles and Stones, where all instrument-playing and singing bands flow from, still tour.

Those aren't accurate comparisons though. Neither of those two have music that from a drummer's POV is physically taxing, or vocals that are insanely difficult to reproduce 40 years later.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#11 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:30 AM

Here's a link to the debut albums of 1974, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia...74_debut_albums

I didn't take the time to click all of them, but the only groups that can still tour on any comparable level with Rush are Kiss, Judas Priest, and perhaps Donny and Marie. Bad Company is a nostalgia act, Kansas is a shell of its original self. Also notable are KC and the Sunshine Band, Donna Summer and the Commodores. I'd say they've outlasted their peers.

Hey...where's Perry?

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

Donna Summer is still touring?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#13 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • Locationa deep dark hole

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:52 AM

No more tears. Enough is enough.

#14 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

i think an official retirement announcement would be a mistake; Didn't The Who announce their retirement around 1983?
  • EZrhythm likes this
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#15 sickasadog

sickasadog

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

I understand the frustration expressed in this thread, but I think that the members of Rush are exercising their right to keep their options open. How would any of us like to be forced to make a definitive, binding statement on what you will and will not do for the rest of your days? This gives them the flexibility to act according to how they feel now and in the future, without being accused of misleading anyone. If something happens in the future--great!

• Burger King Diamond, SpaceGhost2112, EZrhythm and 1 other like this

#16 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

The final bow...just look how happy that man in the middle is. Rush are done. 

I don't think they owe us any definitive word. They've given us 40 years worth to enjoy...I am ok with that. 

1280x720.jpg

• SpaceGhost2112 and EZrhythm like this

peart-ghost-rider-wm2.jpg

#17 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

The Who also.
  • fenderjazz likes this

#18 sickasadog

sickasadog

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

If they are retiring, they are retiring far earlier than VERY FEW of their contemporaries and influences.

The surviving 2/4 OF THE Beatles and 3/5 OF THE Stones (UNLESS YOU COUNT RONNIE WOOD), where all instrument-playing and singing bands flow from, still tour.

2/4 OF The Who also.

FIXED

#19 Andrush

Andrush

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

Donna Summer is still touring?

Donna Summer died over four years ago.

#20 Andrush

Andrush

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Honestly.  I was just re-watching R40 for the thousandth (just kidding) time yesterday.  They can still do justice to the music.  Not perfectly, but pretty damn close.  It's Geddy's voice.  It's really hard to listen to him at many points.  Don't destroy what it took over 48 years to build.  Let's remember what they've done and hopefully they won't pull a Yes.

• EZrhythm likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users