#21 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

Those synth drum pads in the '80s... never liked them.  The three chord jam is a great groove though.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#22 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:43 AM

They were just going for something new and different.  Rush always considered themselves "progressive" in the sense that their sound changes over time, incorporating new instruments and styles and ideas.  Now in hindsight, they might not like the sound of the bass and guitar either (I sure didn't) but at the time they were probably excited about trying new instruments and sounds.  This is what has always kept them interested and motivated, rather than remaining locked into a certain sound and style like AC/DC for example.

Totally. I'd much rather see what are now regarded as missteps (not by me, necessarily) than the same old tried/true. Also, if you look at the musical landscape in the 80s, grunge hadn't happened yet. Synths and synth pop were everywhere. Rush took their fascination with tech and sound stuff and incorporated it into what they were doing. And some may cringe now, but I challenge - "Turn the Page" is one of the most badass songs in their whole catalog. Similarly, Geddy and many others cringe at the polite/thin Wal sound but I still think it really worked well for what they were doing with it. Yeah it was nice to get some balls back but the Wal really let you hear a lot of the detail Mr. Lee was up to. The guitar sound...well I have less enthusiasm for that but even the "effects with a side of guitar" sound had its place (see the ASOH version of "Territories" for example).

• stoopid likes this

#23 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

Ged's '80s bass sound was one of the things that drew me to the instrument.  I like the detail and punchiness.

• grep and chemistry1973 like this
Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#24 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Those 80's albums are a product of the time. It's that simple. All that solid state stuff, decent sized electronic synths, were all cutting edge at the time. You look at bands like Ultravox, The Fixx, etc, plus U2 and the Police..and dozens of other New Wave and pop acts - they all have similar sounds. Geds and Al got on board with that because they wanted to continue the success, and the new creative paths were fun.

Yeah, I'm stating the obvious.

But what did Rush do with the tech?  Manhattan Project, Marathon, Subdivisions, Turn The Page, Between The Wheels.....  Rush was still Rush, and some of the thin sounding songs were still better songs, more well played, than 90% of what was being pumped out at the time. .

I also would like to hear some of those 80's recordings remixed with more balls. But as I've said before, either the originals were recorded in such a way that the sound can't be altered too much - or (more likely) the band stands behind their work and won't allow it.

Last point, Geddy's 80's bass work was also huge in turning me to the Bass. (Cliff and Squire too...but that's another story).

• chemistry1973 likes this

#25 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:15 AM

Ged's '80s bass sound was one of the things that drew me to the instrument.  I like the detail and punchiness.

Me too. My bass is a wood ("Spirit") Steinberger and I still love how it sounds. I can turn down the treble if I need some hair on the balls, but I normally play with front pickup all the way up, back pickup ~80%, and tone wide open.

#26 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

But what did Rush do with the tech?  Manhattan Project, Marathon, Subdivisions, Turn The Page, Between The Wheels.....  Rush was still Rush, and some of the thin sounding songs were still better songs, more well played, than 90% of what was being pumped out at the time. .

Exactly! You had Frankie Goes To Hollywood tearing up the charts, what do you do? Heh, bring in one of their keyboard techs to help you out....

#27 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:44 AM

(jack) Relax, don't do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users