#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

Well, Mrs MT and I have pulled the trigger, selling our flat in the west London mass production zone and buying a house in Cornwall.  We move toward the end of June.

Bye bye to mortgage payments, stress of the commute into the centre, screaming police sirens, millions of people, fear of terrorist bombs on the train.  Hello to quiet and tranquility.

It seems so perfect that I keep looking for the flaw in the plan, but I cannot find one.....

• Slim, Soddy, stoopid and 10 others like this

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Congratulations! I can understand why moving out of London, to a more peaceful place would work for one. I've been thinking about getting out of NY for some time. Buying a less expensive home, and having the security of no mortgage is very attractive. As is getting away from the congregation and craziness.

For me the ties here are my daughter finishing high school (3 more years), and working on Wall Street. It's challenging to think about letting go of my tenure, and reinventing myself at some smaller IT firm.

On that point, how does the move affect your work situation? If you don't mind me asking.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#3 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

It seems so perfect that I keep looking for the flaw in the plan, but I cannot find one.....

Racism, fear and anxiety?
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Racism, fear and anxiety?

Sure, some of those Cornish people are fifty years behind city folk and I'm sure Mrs MT will get some nasty remarks.  But she seems game.

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

On that point, how does the move affect your work situation? If you don't mind me asking.

The firm I work for has depots all over the UK.  i have to cover the South, visiting each four times per year.  So it doesn't so much matter where I live.  I'll probably be staying in hotels a lot anyway, and visiting my old mum in London.

Longer term, I'll look for a role in Cornwall, at a college or hospital or some such.  Mrs MT will get what work she can.

#6 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

One of my neighbors is from Cornwall.

True story.
  • Moving Target likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

When I lived in London the idea of living in the country was the stuff of nightmares. I loved the buzz of the city, the hustle and bustle, the general vibe of being in the capital city where all the media is based and especially being able to take a train into the West End every Saturday.

But now that I do live out in the country I couldn't go back. I couldn't fight people to get on a Northern Line Tube train at London Bridge two or three times a week again. Being able to get on a bike and ride through chocolate box villages and go to quiet little pubs along leafy lanes; I think I'd miss that more than I miss Piccadilly and Charing Cross Road.

• Moving Target, EZrhythm and Ganso like this

#8 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

Sounds great. Are you going to become a surfer dude? :D
Where in Cornwall are you moving to ?

#9 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

Sounds great. Are you going to become a surfer dude? :D
Where in Cornwall are you moving to ?

Near St Austell, five miles from the south coast and ten miles off Bodmin Moor.  So like James I will be able to get more scenic cycling in, rather than have to pedal through traffic for miles before I see fields.

#10 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

I've passed through that area a few times when I've been in Cornwall on holiday but only ever stopped at the Eden Project. A quick look on google maps shows some delightful place names such as "Cocksbarrow" and "Greensplat". :)

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

We had a holiday near Falmouth a few years ago, don't think I'd ever been to Cornwall before then but I was delighted to see palm trees dotted about the place! There are lovely places to go on the coast.

#12 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

We live in a beautiful little town 40 miles west of Boston, just north of Worcester. It's got excellent schools and for the most part, a wonderful community atmosphere, except for the big gun range debate going on right now. The only small drawback, is that being a small town, you see the same people at every function. The parents I see at my daughter's softball games are the same ones I see at my other daughter's cheerleading events and my son's golf lessons. And some of those folks take things wayyy to seriously. Our best friends have had the police called on them several times by psychotic "townies", folks that had been living on either side of their house for years while it was vacant. They encroached upon the property, and don't like the changes our friends have made. They've also made racial comments toward their two adopted daughters (they're Puerto Rican).

All in all though, this is a perfect little place for a family. And my route is mostly rural towns that are way the heck out in the woods. The biggest traffic jam I see is waiting for a flock of wild turkeys to cross the street.

• Bones likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#13 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

I've passed through that area a few times when I've been in Cornwall on holiday but only ever stopped at the Eden Project. A quick look on google maps shows some delightful place names such as "Cocksbarrow" and "Greensplat". :)

I got greensplatted the other day by a seagull. I didn't notice until I put my hand in my pocket and it came out covered in green poo!

Good job I had a waterproof on, so it cleaned up easily enough.

• baldiepete likes this

#14 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

Cornish separatists firebombing incomers...

• Slim likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

Best of luck MT, sounds exciting.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#16 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:09 AM

Sounds great.  I live in the suburbs and am able to work in them.  I used to commute to the city but it wasn't much fun.  I lucked out and am able to work reasonably close to home.   Cornwall seems more remote and more resort-like from what I've heard.  Nice

#17 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

Sounds great.  I live in the suburbs and am able to work in them.  I used to commute to the city but it wasn't much fun.  I lucked out and am able to work reasonably close to home.   Cornwall seems more remote and more resort-like from what I've heard.  Nice

When you cross the River Tamar from Devon to Cornwall it feels like a different country.  Devon is a kind of well-off Home Counties people's playground.  Cornwall is sparsely populated, craggy and more Bohemian.  The people have their own language, though only a few hundred still speak it - sounds a bit like Welsh, Breton or Manx.  In summer it is host to so many tourists that the population doubles to a million.  Surfers come for the Atlantic rollers; walkers for the moors, which have wild ponies, a wallaby colony, and supposedly large black cats, though this is probably a legend.

#18 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

You'll have the joys of the A30, one of the roads to hell. On Saturdays in the summer avoid it like the plague.

#19 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:13 AM

Why Cornwall?

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:31 AM

Why Cornwall?

Cornhole was less appealing.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users