45 replies to this topic

#41 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

The King Crimson (Frame by Frame) 4 cd-box set came with a HUGE booklet that was basically Fripp's artistic manifesto at the time.  It's crazy.

I'm not sure "cleverness" is really the distinction between the two.  Afterall, Belew is primarily noted for his "cleverness" in getting animal sounds and assorted squonk out of the guitar.  I'd say "cleverness" is actually the trait the two have in common.  But Fripp is a total eccentric and Belew's pretty down-to-earth.

I think Belew is an extremely clever player, yes. But with Fripp it's more like the cleverness is the whole point, that's the distinction. That's really the only thing I like about him, how clever he is. I can see he loves the endless mathematical possibilities of the six strings, 22 frets and applicable time signatures. I'm just not sure he particularly likes music.

#42 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

I think Belew is an extremely clever player, yes. But with Fripp it's more like the cleverness is the whole point, that's the distinction. That's really the only thing I like about him, how clever he is. I can see he loves the endless mathematical possibilities of the six strings, 22 frets and applicable time signatures. I'm just not sure he particularly likes music.

Yep.  I think this about both players.  KC have one song that I can feel - Twentieth Century Schizoid Man -  the rest is like studying algebra.

#43 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSenior Administrator of Hormone Division, Department of Puberty

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

I'll go on record and say I feel that way about all prog.

Good thing for me Rush is metal.

Slikk third line \m/
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#44 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

Yep.  I think this about both players.  KC have one song that I can feel - Twentieth Century Schizoid Man -  the rest is like studying algebra.

I mean, after all these years, it's still their biggest hit, as far as the zeitgeist.  It got covered by Ozzy

and sampled by Kanye (NSFW)

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#45 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

I love Adrian Belew, both his solo work and his time with King Crimson.  He really is an amazing player and showman.  I saw back-to-back shows of Adrian Belew's Power Trio in the SF Bay area a few years back.  The Friday night gig was at this tiny place in Petaluma, that is an after-school program / indoor skate park by day, and music venue by night... The Phoenix Theater.  There were maybe 200 bodies in the place and I spent the night at Mr. Belew's feet.  I snagged the pick he used during the show, a set-list from the stage and then had him sign me while I was wearing my King Crimson, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" T-shirt... I took a ton of photos and had a spectacular time!  The next night at Slim's in SF was awesome as well, just a bigger crowd and more like 10 feet from the stage as opposed to 10 inches the night in Petaluma... Rock ON!

BelewatThePhoenixTheatre090.jpg

At about 8:50 of this video, you can see Adrian hand the pick he'd used that night off to me.  I was just looking for a "high five" but got the pick instead...  Good times...

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#46 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

The schwag from my evening with A.B. at The Phoenix Theater...

BelewatThePhoenixTheatre102.jpg

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users