#21 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

Speaking of weird patterns to sing along to, here's Adrian singing and playing a 7/8 bit, while Robert plays a 13/8 permutation (essentially just dropping the last note of the second measure).
So the two guitars are sliding out of, and then back into, synch with each other every 91 beats.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Ahh I remember seeing that very performance in 1982 when it was first shown. I really like that song but there is some utterly unnecessary wankery in there.

Robert Fripp turned 70 yesterday. I think this performance would have been improved a lot by unplugging his guitar from the mixer.

#23 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

His era of Crimson is fun and interesting.  But it's not the "great" era.  '69 - '74 is where their best music is, which, oddly - are all the albums before Belew.  Belew is kind of the Trevor Rabin of KC.

#24 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,072 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Ahh I remember seeing that very performance in 1982 when it was first shown. I really like that song but there is some utterly unnecessary wankery in there.

Robert Fripp turned 70 yesterday. I think this performance would have been improved a lot by unplugging his guitar from the mixer.

Songs with intricacies like that need to be mixed properly.  Live, it's one challenge.  On a TV show with someone else behind the board, it can sound like a train wreck.  Not the best version of that song.

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

Interesting. On my jog this AM I cued up this never before heard track from Frost*.

Frost*
https://open.spotify...Z3alKg8OEiVoIAs

Pretty much, at least in its foundation, an amalgam of Police and a Fripp-less Crimson.

(It's their new track "Numbers"- not on YouTube )

#26 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

I loves me some Frost*

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

Songs with intricacies like that need to be mixed properly.  Live, it's one challenge.  On a TV show with someone else behind the board, it can sound like a train wreck.  Not the best version of that song.

Well I do own that album and just listened to that one again .. I think the staccato guitar frippery and percussion excess work in a way by adding tension that resolves nicely when they stop and the smooth vocal harmonies kick in. Someone once said of mountaineering that it's great, when it stops. Fripp's guitar part on this one works in much the same way for me.

Incidentally a few years ago he was interviewed in the Bowie documentary Five Years about his experience playing with Bowie on Heroes. I found his eccentric self-importance very funny, worth a watch if you can.

#28 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

Honestly, he's my favorite part of KC.  Or was, when he was in it.

#29 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

As for KC, just get Discipline and then Three of a Perfect Pair.  Belew-era King Crimson is not like any of the other eras.  Has a harder, biting edge.

I bought that album when it came out.  Apart from the single Sleepless I think it's bloody awful.

#30 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Incidentally a few years ago he was interviewed in the Bowie documentary Five Years about his experience playing with Bowie on Heroes. I found his eccentric self-importance very funny, worth a watch if you can.

He strikes me as the sort of fellow who will produce brilliant stuff if a creative genius like Bowie tells him approximately what to play, but left to his own devices comes up with dreck.

#31 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

He strikes me as the sort of fellow who will produce brilliant stuff if a creative genius like Bowie tells him approximately what to play, but left to his own devices comes up with dreck.

Hmm. That's just about everyone though.

See: McCartney, Rush, Radiohead...

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

His era of Crimson is fun and interesting. But it's not the "great" era. '69 - '74 is where their best music is, which, oddly - are all the albums before Belew. Belew is kind of the Trevor Rabin of KC.

I won't disagree with you but the dated production of those records, aside from Red, make them difficult listens.

#33 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,072 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Well I do own that album and just listened to that one again .. I think the staccato guitar frippery and percussion excess work in a way by adding tension that resolves nicely when they stop and the smooth vocal harmonies kick in. Someone once said of mountaineering that it's great, when it stops. Fripp's guitar part on this one works in much the same way for me.

Oh he is a total nitwit!  I attended his "Guitar Craft" clinic.  Huge waste of money.  Spent 2/3 of the day talking about how to hold the guitar.

#34 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

https://open.spotify...Z3alKg8OEiVoIAs

Pretty much, at least in its foundation, an amalgam of Police and a Fripp-less Crimson.

(It's their new track "Numbers"- not on YouTube )

Yes, hadn't heard that one before .. reminds me of Synchronicity. Love it. Looking forward to the new album.

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Oh he is a total nitwit!  I attended his "Guitar Craft" clinic.  Huge waste of money.  Spent 2/3 of the day talking about how to hold the guitar.

He sounds like a prog version of Nigel Tufnel.

hqdefault.jpg

spinal-tap-nigel.png?w=700&h=394

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

But that's Adrian Belew, not Robert Fripp. Keep up!

#37 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

Ohhhhhh. So Below isn't a pretentious twat? Ok my bad.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#38 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

I think they have more or less opposite personality types.. both talented players for sure though Fripp is more noted for what you might call "cleverness", which is not really what I look for in music. Credit to him for treating his chosen instrument like a sort of personal research project though. No "three chords and the truth" for him. Even devised his own tuning and I believe he refuses to play in standard tuning now.

I've never met either of them but from interviews I get the impression that Belew is laid back, unassuming and good-humoured. Fripp is more your self-important and pompous sort of chap.

#39 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

The King Crimson (Frame by Frame) 4 cd-box set came with a HUGE booklet that was basically Fripp's artistic manifesto at the time.  It's crazy.

I'm not sure "cleverness" is really the distinction between the two.  Afterall, Belew is primarily noted for his "cleverness" in getting animal sounds and assorted squonk out of the guitar.  I'd say "cleverness" is actually the trait the two have in common.  But Fripp is a total eccentric and Belew's pretty down-to-earth.

Real King Crimson conneiseurs I think prefer the pre-Belew era.  Not necessarily because of Fripp, though.  It's just a better musical line-up overall.  Michael Giles, Mel Collins, Greg Lake, John Wetton, Ian McDonald, David Cross...those guys all had serious Classical and Jazz knowledge to draw on in their harmonic composition.

Belew and Levin are good, but they're not really in the same league.  They're mostly pop/rockers who can also turn those genres backwards (anti-pop/anti-rock).  I don't think they're as deeply "musical" as the early KC though.  Feel free to disagree, though.

#40 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

https://soundcloud.c...fripp-thank-you

wow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users