Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

you name it, it troubles me

everything's got a glowing rectangle now, even if it's completely unnecessary

microwaves, refrigerators, toasters, coffee makers, stoves, washers, dryers, etc

how long before the kitchen sinks are giving us tips on how to better wash our hands?

is there a limit? or is the toilet going to tell me i need to eat more fiber some day?

is nobody frightened by this hell world we've made?

or is it desirable for one's toothbrush to post one's brushing time and quality to a database one'll never see?

how long will it be before Siri and Cortana are writing bad reviews of the humans they interact with on Yelp?

by the way, watches are back in style

no, not your old watch that just tells time or maybe, can do math

no, that'd be stupid! put that away, you dark-ages weirdo

smartwatches! because carrying a handheld computer around at all times isn't enough

you gotta have one strapped to your wrist, too

and your refrigerator thinks you should eat the month-old apples it detected in its interior

whatever will everyone do when the power goes out and stays out long enough for all of the batteries in this stuff to run out?

i mean, aside from look at me funny for listening to a pocket AM radio with a battery life of like 6 months.. to find out why the power's still out
  • grep and DarthLen like this
for more information please reread

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

Spot on.  Not much i can add to this.  But yeah, I wonder what's goingto happen to the phone zombies if electricity ever goes away.

Wait I know.  In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy our block was lucky enough to have power for most of the time that everyone around us was out.

Guess who suddenly became popular as a 'charging station'? At least our acquantences were friendly about it. And we really coudn't say no.... but their little zombie kids couldn't get their devices charged fast enough.

Makes me think about what would happen in a real disaster, and if the water got turned off...... Someone would prob kill us for our stash. 

falconext.png

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

Oh, and 1984. FTW.

falconext.png

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

I'm prepping for Y3K.

• DarthLen likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

I'm of the opposite position taken here.  I think things are pretty amazing and technology is doing some pretty kickass things that make my life both easier and more fun.  

Does the idea of a fridge that keeps track of food seem stupid?  Maybe.  But that's how cool ideas come about...from the remnants of dumb of ideas or because it was a good idea to begin with that evolved into something cooler.  Then the truly dumb ideas go away and never come back.  Or maybe they come back years later after someone else picked up the pieces and made it a great idea.  

I embrace these changes and welcome the technologies that do some awesome stuff.  We're getting smarter.  We're improving the quality of life around the world due to technology.  We're cleaning up messes made by past generations because we have harnessed technology to do important things that weren't possible before.

All of the things in the OP aren't going to be the next big thing, they may never be a thing at all.  But have conversations about how technology can make things better.  Because that's what all these things have the potential of doing, even if in some tiny way.  That's what makes being alive right now so cool.

I turn 50 in a couple of weeks.  I lament when people don't see the value of things that technologies have brought about in our lives.  It's an amazing and exciting time to be alive...

• SJS likes this

#6 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Eee emm pee
  • DarthLen likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

It's an old theme. People felt distrustful of the first mechanised tools, the first electrical devices, the first motorised vehicles, the first communication devices.

E.M. Forster wrote a short story which articulates the fears expressed in the last two lines of the top post, more than 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia...e_Machine_Stops

• DarthLen likes this

#8 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

Acoustic guitar good, electric guitar bad

LYqbjSn.jpg

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

I'm afraid of toasters.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

I, for one, welcome the zombie apocalypse and/or a world-wide EMP that would force us to start over from scratch. Too much bullshit out in the world today to sift through and not enough time in the day/lifetime to do it. And so we prioritize, hopefully for the betterment of ourselves and others, but usually not - the cheap, easy path of least resistance seems to keep winning out for far too many... 

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

E.M. Forster wrote a short story which articulates the fears expressed in the last two lines of the top post, more than 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia...e_Machine_Stops

The story, set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity lives underground and relies on a giant machine to provide their needs, predicted new technologies such as instant messaging and the Internet.

Sure but did it predict hipster cats?

flac_cat.eq67qwsiu0tmgwgoc8g8wk8o0.f469i

• Slim likes this

#12 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

The wisdom of Thom.

3.2013ThomYorke_061013.jpg

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,813 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

A.I. Ethics will be a required course in universities soon enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users