6 replies to this topic

#1 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

So, as some of you who have access to Missy's know, I moved to South Carolina in August of 2014 to start a new job after being out of work for 10 months.  The new job has worked out great, and the business is doing well enough that I was also able to convince a fellow former Netflix employee to move himself and his family down here to work here as well.  Last November, my daughter also joined us here.

To bring anyone up to speed that hasn't seen my posts in Missy's, I now work for a company called Moonkist Designs (also Moonkist Creations and Moonkist Gallery - all on Etsy exclusively for now, but over the next few weeks, we are launching our own independant online store) that makes jewelry.  Prior to working here, I had no experience at all in working with precious metals, but apparently many of the skills I had developed over the years when I was building and flying model rockets, my art skills, and my hand-tool experience with various jobs (including the Air Force) were skills that fell perfectly into what I needed to know to make jewelry.  Gena, my boss, didn't need to spend lots of time teaching me to use any of the tools needed for this, except maybe the torch.  She used to teach silversmithing classes, and knows what it's like to have to train people how to hold pliers, or that metal files shouldn't be used in a back and forth motion unless they're made for that use (jewelry files are *not* made that way).

So, like I said, business is doing well, and we recently added a couple of videos to our Etsy store so that customers can see what we do.  I figured I'd go ahead and post it here as well, as there is something in the video that might be considered somewhat relevant for this message board.

Without further ado (and hoping I remember how to post videos):

Edit: Took a few tries, but I got it to embed.

• Slim, RollDeBonz, Oak and 1 other like this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#2 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

That's outstanding and it's good to read from you again. Why are you wearing a shirt about a frat thing?  :P

"We actually have not required in this law that you carry health insurance."

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

That is some beautiful work. And my your team works fast. :)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

How long does one piece actually take ?  Thanks for sharing the video.  Interesting.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#5 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:29 AM

Thanks everybody.  The job is one reason I haven't been around much.  Keeps me busy.

How long does one piece actually take ?  Thanks for sharing the video.  Interesting.

That particular set, not including the 2-3 hours in the polisher (that's the minimum amount of time in the polisher - generally, we run the polisher overnight), takes about 30-45 minutes.  That's just making the rings.  Setting them takes another 15 minutes or so.  However, despite the fact we can make them fairly quickly, we get a lot of orders, and we also do custom (completely from scratch) work that also takes a lot of time, which is why we have a 3-5 business day fabrication period for each order, and up to a month for custom work.  Some regular orders can also take a couple hours or more to make.

Here's a custom ring I made last year:

Attached File  Lily Ring - 1.jpg   28.29K   6 downloads

It's an engagement and wedding ring set, with the band fitted to the ring.  It took me roughly 3 weeks to make it, including the time spent working on the design work and sketches with the customer.  The hardest part was forming the lilies, as I had never done anything like that before.  It was not formed in wax first and then cast - what you see is what I made.  Gena told me after I was finished that she considers it my journeyman project (and *her* silversmithing mentor agrees, and this is a guy who does custom metalwork for the Biltmore property, including something like 20,000 gold-plated brass nails for the furniture, all made by hand), and that she was a little jealous of me because I went from apprentice to journeyman in 9 months, as opposed to her taking 4 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#6 Inspector 12

Inspector 12

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationInland West

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

I checked out your shop on Etsy.  Really pretty stuff!  Great job, and great job to get! :)

Could be meat, could be cake.

#7 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

I checked out your shop on Etsy.  Really pretty stuff!  Great job, and great job to get! :)

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users