#41 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Good for you Abby - it's lovely to see fresh-faced Rush fandom! Those of us who are not miserable old so-and-sos welcome you.

Which is your favourite Rush album? I like the period from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure the best. In my view, Neil's lyric-writing was at its strongest around then. After that, what I would call filler tracks started creeping onto the albums.

I first saw Rush live in 1983, and it remains my best-ever concert, because they played all the songs I wanted to hear.

#42 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Abby, it's no crime to sign up for a message board to try to get some votes for a contest. It's not like membership on this board is part of some "I just realized I'm a Rush fan checklist." Still, I can see how some types would find that a bit insincere. There is no good excuse for the level of vitriol and bitterness in this thread, but that is on the posters, not you.

My bit of advice is this though: Rush are a great band and it's well and good to geek out on them and hold them as your favorite band. They were once my favorite band too. All the songs memorized. Art in their honor. T-shirts. Shows every tour. Snorted my meth off a starman mirror. Now, I have branched out and explored many different types of music besides rock. Rush are no longer my favorite, but one of my favorites. No need to rank bands, really.

Also, bear in mind that the real reason for this competition is to gain recognition (and hopefully listeners) for the radio station giving it: "Echoes with the sounds of salesmen..." I hope you win, but, if you don't, life will go on. You've already expressed that Rush music has had a posititive impact on your life and that you enjoy the music. That's the most important thing.

• State of Grace and Moving Target like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#43 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

look, im not trying to prove myself THE biggest rush fan. i was just trying to support my argument with evidence on why i deserve to win this contest. and Angie is right, im not telling you to vote for me by shoving it down your throat. And so what if my first post was this? i didnt come to this website to only post that and leave. being the rush fan i am i will likely stay here because i love discussing rush with other fellow rush fans.

My guess is that at 15 you are well versed enough with the internet to know that there are a**holes everywhere.

Welcome to CP. Its a little strange here, but its always interesting. And don't take the Bitter Brits personally, some are just joking around and some don't deserve the attention (you'll figure out who is who after a while).

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#44 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm feeling a bit let down by my fellow Britons today.

#45 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

And instead of griping about her age, we should all be glad to know that some kids of today have decent taste in music!

• Casey and Abby2112 like this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#46 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thank you so much for those of you who have voted- it means a ton to me! I wouldn't be too upset if I lose, but the fact that I am SO close to being able to win is what's really striving me to get as many votes as I can.  Even though I am only 15, I show as much respect for them as those who have been through the experiences that have been told in this thread.  And like I said, I don't care about the title "Ultimate Rush Fan", I just want to be able to meet my idols and see them in the front row, and all I need are some votes that take two seconds to do.  I guess that's too much to ask for around here from some people. But thank you to everyone who did :) 

• Three Eyes likes this

#47 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Good luck Abby!

Proud Knobhead

#48 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

And instead of griping about her age, we should all be glad to know that some kids of today have decent taste in music!

^^^ This....:)

Proud Knobhead

#49 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Abby, NickSlik2112 is normally a funny and affable curmudgeon with high entertainment value on this board. He's very opinionated too but normally doesn't take his schtick into asshole territory like he did in this thread.

Slim is super smart and opinionated and while he's had his share of board dust-ups on certain topics in the past he's usually very cordial nowadays. Just don't poke him with a stick. For some reason he's being weirdly critical of your innocent claim of being the ultimate Rush fan. I, myself, am not threatened by that. (lol.) You can have the title. Anyone who puts that much time and effort into artwork dedicated to Rush must be a superfan. :)

And I, for one, don't care if your first post was a request for votes. It's always great to see a young, enthusiastic Rush fan pop into CP.

• Abby2112 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#50 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Nick, this is completely out of order.  Don't take out your misery on a wee girl whose only crime is to express naive enthusiasm. 

Shame on you.  Bloody well apologise to Abby.

No. I bloody well won't apologise. I didn't possess naïve enthusiasm when I was 15 so nobody else should either.

When I was a 15 year old boy, 15 year old girls didn't like Rush.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#51 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Been trying to meet them since MP. No luck.

Been trying to avoid them since meeting NP. Lots of luck.

#52 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Abby, NickSlik2112 is normally a funny and affable curmudgeon with high entertainment value on this board. He's very opinionated too but normally doesn't take his schtick into asshole territory like he did in this thread.

I don't?

Arse. I'm a failure. :(

Maybe - just maybe - I was being a hyper-curmudgeon. I just hate gushing, naively enthusiastic Rush fanbois and goils. Perhaps that's why TRF banned me so much.

Meeting Rush? What's the point.

Front Row? Not all it's cracked up to be.

Bass Guitar? The lowest level of musicianship (Drumming doesn't count as musicianship)

Being a 15 year old girl? Waste of time - for up to another 365 days.

#53 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Don't be fooled by MT. He is acting like a fanboi now, but he loathes much of Rush's music and has been as acerbic as the other Brits. Just not as often.

What happened to the alters? Did the North Koreans take over?

Those who know what's best for us...

#54 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Don't be fooled by MT. He is acting like a fanboi now, but he loathes much of Rush's music and has been as acerbic as the other Brits. Just not as often.

He's just upset that he missed a band which makes shite albums these days putting on a good live show.

Any REAL Rush fan loathes much of Rush's music and knows that it's all been downhill since Hemispheres. That's REALITY for you.

#55 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'm here! I'm queer! Get used to it!

Why did this post disappear?

#56 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'll tell ya peeps. I get the feeling that this is really just an elaborite gag, or a social experiment of some type.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#57 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

I'll tell ya peeps. I get the feeling that this is really just an elaborite gag, or a social experiment of some type.

It's the end of the biker bar, is what it is.

hqdefault.jpg

#58 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

So Abby2112 is really Slim?

Or Abby Normal?

#59 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

So Abby2112 is really Slim?

Or Abby Normal?

no I am not Slim... and if you think its been going downhill since Hemispheres, you have gone deaf since hemispheres.  

• Greg and Moving Target like this

#60 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

You're one of the minions of the evil one aren't ya? If not the evil one himself.

Moo.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users