• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Good luck with the contest. Truth be told, I'll be glad when it's over. My Facebook feed is overrun with requests asking for votes. It's trickled over to my Twitter now, too.

A true ultimate Rush fan will have purchased my Lerxst mysteries in paperback and ebook. :P

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#22 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Abby - you aren't a big fan, and no-one who voted for you after reading your post is, either.

I'm a big Rush fan. The genuine article. I've shivered for hours in the snow, queuing up to buy tickets for the Tour of the Hemispheres. I spent two consecutive nights in sub-zero conditions waiting for the first train in a grim railway station in the North-East of England, because the roads were too icy for my parents to pick me up from AFTK (that's "A Farewell To Kings", you probably won't have known that) tour concerts at Newcastle City Hall. I've bought every album since All The World's A Stage (that's the band's first live album) on the day it was released.

And because - unlike yourself - I'm a genuine fan, I don't need to validate my credentials as such by winning some superficial competition on the Internet. I have too much dignity to grovel for a bass guitar by pretending to be something that I'm not, or to beg for votes on an Internet forum that I don't otherwise take part in.

But by all means come back to us in another forty years or so.

you are very wrong in about all of this...

first off, I do know AFTK.  In fact, I have an AFTK tee shirt. Also, I can name all their albums in order, and all the songs on each album, including all live albums.

second, if i WERE older, I would have done all the same things you did. my age is something I cannot control.  

thirdly, I really dont care about having the title "Ultimate Rush Fan".  What I really care about is meeting them and seeing my heroes in the front row.  You severely underestimate how big of a fan I really am, regardless of the fact that I've only been a fan for 5 years.  It's not about being a fan from the beginning, its about being there until the end.  Thank you. 

• Slut Puppy likes this

#23 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Been trying to meet them since MP. No luck.

Those who know what's best for us...

#24 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

I'm a local for that contest, signed up but I'm not trolling for votes.  Why you ask?  Because I don't need a popularity contest to make me the "Ultimate Rush Fan"   A non-fan or almost fan is going to win this thing.  I don't have a lot of Facebook friends.  Chances are, if you're my Facebook friend, it's because you're my friend.  I don't troll for Twitter followers.  Chances are if you are following me, you like what I have to say or we just converse in this manner because you don't like or trust Facebook.

Either way, I appreciate a new member here.  We all do.  But if all you're doing is coming here to get votes and leave, well, I don't think you're going to get many.  We have young people here and old.  New fans and fans from the 2112 days.  My first Rush album was Caress of Steel, bought in 1979.  All the Worlds a Stage shortly followed as did everything else thereafter, on the day it was released, right up to the latest album, Clockwork Angels.  I've been to every tour since 1980, at least once, some tours 6 or 7 times, travelling far.  But don't vote for me, because I'm not going to win this stinking contest anyway.

• State of Grace likes this

#25 Sophia Petrillo

Sophia Petrillo

• Peeps*
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

Re-watching that Liberace HBO movie.

In 1975 I entered the Ultimate Liberace fan contest. First prize was a trip for two to Vegas to see his show and a meet and greet afterward. It wasn't a voting contest, though - you had to be more creative in proving your worth. So I bedazzled our piano and took pictures of it. I also sewed rhinestones and sequins on every article of clothing I owned, and I never left the house without a floor-length white fur coat. If you knew how hot it gets in Brooklyn in August wearing two-ton clothing, you'd have pity on me. Luckily the contest committee did, and I won.

Dorothy and I had a great time. Of course, back then she had Liberace's hair and build, so people kept asking for autographs. I don't know if you'll have that problem.

#26 Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci

• Peeps*
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Bongiorno,

I thinkka this little girl, she justa wanna go to a Rusha concert and sitta inna da front row.  I wouldn'ta complaina butta she cama here, she posta, what once? And now she wanna sitta inna da fronta row.  Poor slima!  He spenda his lifea savings onna dis band and what he get? stugots!  Slima I feela for you.  Slimma gotta get inna da front row.  I gotta getta inna da front row!  One day my friend Giovanni, he worka all day and all night on a motorcyclea.  He changa da oil, he wipea the shit offa da visor.  He changa the spark plugs.  The man come up to him and say, you know, you remind me ofa dis Englisha fuck I met on a ferry boat once, butta you no crazy likka he is.  You no weara de album covers onna you head.  You don'ta stalk me up and down the aisles and starea at me whilea I hava me a scotch.  You a nizza boy.  Giovanni he said, you know, that guy who weara the album covers onna his head? who acts crazy?  Who stalksa you up and downa de aisles?  That'sa my twina brother Nicola.  You signa someating for him.  He feels bad you no likka him ona the ferry boat.  Heza sorry for stalkinga you.

Thatza alla for now, Arricederci America!

Keep uppa di Kardashianas

#27 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

Abby has my vote...

Being a fan since 1976, I don't count myself the biggest fan.  I'm just a fan of a great band.  But I'm happy to help out a young/new fan who wants to see them play live from the front row (an experience I haven't even enjoyed).  

Illegitimi non carborundum, Abby...hope you win the contest! 

#28 ibytor

ibytor

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

Whoa, first off, Abby is my best friend and I don't let anyone talk to her like that! BELIEVE ME she is a Rush fan, and a BIG one! You ask her any question about Rush and she'll know the answer right away. 

So she wasn't in your situation, does that automatically exclude her from being a Rush fan? NO. Sir, you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize that ANY Rush fan would do that, but they did't have that chance.

I've sat with her and cried over how perfect their music is- just like i'm sure you all have as well, or else why would we be here. But listen. She's 15!!! Guys, give her a chance! My goodness! She only wants to meet her heroes, and the only way to do that, unfortunately, is to ask for votes! She's not shoving it down your throat, but she's also not sitting on her grumpy old ass like all of you sticking your nose in the air because you're 'older' and 'better' and more of a 'genuine fan' than her. 

Guys please, don't blame her because she's taking action in a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you're not.  

Abby, I love you and I really hope you do win this because you're the nicest and coolest girl i've ever met, and I know Rush would be proud to meet you :)

• Abby2112 likes this

#29 ralph malph

ralph malph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Hummina Hummina Hummina

#30 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

Whoa, first off, Abby is my best friend and I don't let anyone talk to her like that! BELIEVE ME she is a Rush fan, and a BIG one! You ask her any question about Rush and she'll know the answer right away. 

So she wasn't in your situation, does that automatically exclude her from being a Rush fan? NO. Sir, you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize that ANY Rush fan would do that, but they did't have that chance.

I've sat with her and cried over how perfect their music is- just like i'm sure you all have as well, or else why would we be here. But listen. She's 15!!! Guys, give her a chance! My goodness! She only wants to meet her heroes, and the only way to do that, unfortunately, is to ask for votes! She's not shoving it down your throat, but she's also not sitting on her grumpy old ass like all of you sticking your nose in the air because you're 'older' and 'better' and more of a 'genuine fan' than her. 

Guys please, don't blame her because she's taking action in a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you're not.  

Abby, I love you and I really hope you do win this because you're the nicest and coolest girl i've ever met, and I know Rush would be proud to meet you :)

If you have to post this, you just don't get it.  We really like to joke around a lot here.  We're nice to newbs too generally.  It's just a little odd for someone to make their first post and ask for something, that's all.  As this is the "biker bar" of Rush fandom, people just do what we normally do.  Anyway, people are going to vote for her from here, don't worry about that.

#31 ibytor

ibytor

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

If you have to post this, you just don't get it.  We really like to joke around a lot here.  We're nice to newbs too generally.  It's just a little odd for someone to make their first post and ask for something, that's all.  As this is the "biker bar" of Rush fandom, people just do what we normally do.  Anyway, people are going to vote for her from here, don't worry about that.

Well gee, don't you guys have the nicest way of greeting someone!

#32 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

The Revenge of the Alters...!

Yea, Abby and ibytor, we play pretty hard around here and that freaks out people who don't know that going in.  Don't take it seriously here, we're just being the crazy fuckheads that we all are.  And some of us even like Rush...

Sheriff Justice, kiss my ass.  Don't you have a Bandit to catch, you lazy fuck?!

(Abby, you might have to do some googling to figure out who half the 'tards are in this thread).

#33 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

I've sat with her and cried over how perfect their music is- just like i'm sure you all have as well, or else why would we be here. But listen. She's 15!!! 

Is she now?

*admin hat on*

This being the case, let's all tone down the innuendo. We can debate ethics without gimp photos and worse.

*admin hat off *

• State of Grace likes this

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#34 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

^^^

What she said.  If this is a kid, let's lighten up peeps.  I give her credit for seeking us and other boards out and giving it a shot.

Voted

• ibytor likes this

#35 ralph malph

ralph malph

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

Don't think anyone realized she's a kid.

Great.

#36 ibytor

ibytor

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

^^^

What she said.  If this is a kid, let's lighten up peeps.  I give her credit for seeking us and other boards out and giving it a shot.

Voted

Finally someone has their head on straight, eh? Thank you. I'd like to see you all build up the guts to tell (no, swear) to her face that you're gonna crush her dreams. I really thought I had more respect for the Rush fandom. Guess I'll think again... 

#37 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Oh...whoops!

lol

I already voted for her anyhow...so, yea.  

Good for you Abby!

• ibytor likes this

#38 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Jeez guys, don't be so mean to the kid. Don't you guys remember what it was like to be 15?

And I really don't appreciate *my* "fandom" coming into question here because I was nice enough to give her a vote. Maybe it's because I *do* remember what it was like to be 15 and would have loved to be part of a contest like this. I've been a Rush fan since I was born and you don't see me making a competition out of it. Yes, you heard me. Since I was born. I was raised on their music so I'm sorry I can't mark on a calendar other than October 5th, 1978 as to when I first heard their music or which of their albums I first owned. But I never considered this a competition as to who the better person is.

I totally respect everyone here who has done things like wait in line in the freezing snow (walking 7 miles barefooted beforehand, etc.), but to say that I'm not as much of a fan as you are because I never did those things or because I gave this gal a vote, I don't think that's very nice. I wouldn't do that to you, and I have had more than one situation with so-called "Rush fans" that give me more than enough reason to question where *their* hearts are. It's about quality, not quantity. I know people who claim to have been fans since Moving Pictures days yet cannot name a single song off their last 5 albums. Of course, that's room for another debate altogether, but if we're judging people on who is a "true" fan by how long they've listened and how much Rush trivia they have stuffed in their brains, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people here who wouldn't make the cut either way. Including myself. And you know what? I could give a flying f*ck if any of you here think I'm a "real fan" or not. But don't bring my "true fan" status into question when trying to bring someone else down or question *their* sincerity. Thanks.

• Abby2112 likes this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#39 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

I've been a fan since 1977 and would never dream of doing anything as tawdry as this.

Being a fan since 1977 does not entitle me to front row seats, meet the band or get a bass guitar. Heck, I wouldn't even want to meet the band or get a bass guitar. However I have twice had front row seats by getting online in good time when tickets went on sale and buying the bloody things.

They've taught you life lessons? How? They're a bloody rock band, they taught me to drink booze, take drugs and shag shallow vacuous chicks called Abby. Not worth crowing about is it?

You're just a noob and so's yer fatha.

Now FOAD, after you've helped the poor, or done something worthwhile.

Nick, this is completely out of order.  Don't take out your misery on a wee girl whose only crime is to express naive enthusiasm. 

Shame on you.  Bloody well apologise to Abby.

#40 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

look, im not trying to prove myself THE biggest rush fan. i was just trying to support my argument with evidence on why i deserve to win this contest. and Angie is right, im not telling you to vote for me by shoving it down your throat. And so what if my first post was this? i didnt come to this website to only post that and leave. being the rush fan i am i will likely stay here because i love discussing rush with other fellow rush fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users