• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hello everyone!  I need a favor from all of you.  I am in this contest to meet rush, get front row seats, and a bass guitar.  As of right now, I am in 6th place, and I need to be in the top 3 in order to qualify to win.  That's why I need ALL your guys's help!  I am just as big of a fan as those people who have been to 50+ rush shows- and trust me, if i were older, I would totally be there. I've been a fan since 2009. But its not about being a fan from the beginning, its about being there until the end. Rush has truly changed my life for the better. They are much, much more than just a band to me- they are my idols and heroes. They have taught me life lessons I will never forget. They have inspired me to play guitar and viola and make music of my own. They truly are three extraordinary men that have saved me from many things. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they have done for me. When I say they mean the world to me I truly do mean it. Their music is just so unbelievable- I have spent countless hours listening to them, watching them, and playing their music on guitar. I have spent hundreds of my own dollars on them, and I am only 15! My dad has been a fan for 25+ years and has seen them every tour since Grace Under Pressure. He is also a spectacular drummer who wishes to play like Neil. without him, I would not be the person I am today. We go to Rush concerts- that's our absolute favorite thing to do together. We also absolutely LOVE to play music together- me on guitar and him on drums. When I see his smile when we are playing Rush songs it is one of my favorite things to see ♥ Winning this contest is literally one of my biggest dreams!  People always say to chase your dreams, so I am chasing this one.  

(that is what i would put if we weren't limited to 140 characters!)

Here is some of the Rush-related artwork I have done: 
SnakesandArrows_zpsfbdd945f.jpg

GraceUnderPressureTTT_zpsba195667.jpg

I drew this one with sharpie markers: 
391177_400512320008474_1563216773_n-1_zp

rsfhhhsa_zps57561cb7.jpg

I did this portrait with graphite and charcoal pencil:
IMG_2245_zpse09bbaf7.jpg

That's not even all of it! I just wanted to share some of my favorites!

here's a link if you want to hear me play some rush on guitar: 
https://soundcloud.c...tar-riff-medley

That is why every single one of your votes counts in this contest. Every. single. one. it only takes two seconds to vote. so if you could please vote me the “ultimate Rush fan”, I will never be able to thank you guys enough. you will make my biggest dream finally come true. Plus my dad will get THE BEST fathers day gift EVER!!!! biggrin.png Thank you!

VOTE HERE: 
http://www.q1043.com/c/?28
2.gif

• Three Eyes likes this

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Fan since 2009? Sorry, more than a few people round here have put in a lot more hours than that.

• C... likes this

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,235 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Don't listen to curmugeonly old Slim, Abby!  He thinks Rush have been releasing terrible albums for the last 20 years, apart from the last one.

Your enthusiasm makes me smile, and I think you are a really skilled artist.

Voted for you.  Keep drawing and playing, and stay optimistic always!

• Abby2112 likes this

#4 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Get out the vote. You can vote for her once a day. Some of the 1 - 5 look like douches.

• Abby2112 likes this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

As much as you like that band, believe me, you are not the number 1 fan.

Us hardcore longime fans aren't the #1 fans either. (1981 myself...)

You know who is?

Geddy's Mom. She said so herself in the movie. So that's that.

I do like your art though.... you are clearly inspired and are a fan, regardless of time.

Voted. Good luck.

• State of Grace likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#6 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

As much as you like that band, believe me, you are not the number 1 fan.

Us hardcore longime fans aren't the #1 fans either. (1981 myself...)

You know who is?

Geddy's Mom. She said so herself in the movie. So that's that.

I do like your art though.... you are clearly inspired and are a fan, regardless of time.

Voted. Good luck.

That's true! But Geddy's mom isnt in the competition, is she? :P

like i said, if i were older, i would be one of those people who go to a ton of shows! But I'm not, and thats something I can't control.  Might as well make the best of it though.  Thank you for voting!

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Goddammit Abby2112 you're adorable. Gotta vote for the Abbs. Don't worry about Slim. He's been taken out and executed already.

I'd vote for the guy in first place but he terrifies me too much. Looks like Dennis Hopper from Waterworld. You're the less terrifying option, Abby. Here's a terrifying thought. Abby wasn't born yet when Waterworld came out.

• Abby2112 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I like Lynn's comment. Good use of the word be.

Lynn M. from Staten Island says:

Words cannot describe what rush means to be. I've been a fan since 1981 and have been to over 100 shows. The are a huge part of my life.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

True, Geddy's mom is excluded from the contest, as those related to company employees cannot enter such contests. ;)

I like your drawings and while yes, some of us have clocked in way more miles on the odometer, you still get my vote. Btw, I *am* older and have not been to that many Rush shows either. Doesn't mean I'm not a "real fan", does it?

At any rate, you are more of a Rush fan than Eddie Trunk (who has a show on that radio station holding the contest); he can't even answer simple Rush trivia that a newer fan like yourself undoubtedly knows in their sleep.

• Abby2112 likes this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#10 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

True, Geddy's mom is excluded from the contest, as those related to company employees cannot enter such contests. ;)

I like your drawings and while yes, some of us have clocked in way more miles on the odometer, you still get my vote. Btw, I *am* older and have not been to that many Rush shows either. Doesn't mean I'm not a "real fan", does it?

At any rate, you are more of a Rush fan than Eddie Trunk (who has a show on that radio station holding the contest); he can't even answer simple Rush trivia that a newer fan like yourself undoubtedly knows in their sleep.

you're right! I'm pretty good at rush trivia, as I've seen all the documentaries, watched the shows on them, read all the books, etc.  

#11 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

And as you are young and still have good memory compared to us old bastards, you probably know all the stuff we have forgotten!

• Abby2112 likes this
"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Like how Alex found a box of old tapes in his closet a few years ago, and said he was going to have someone look through them.... Garden Road may have been one of the masters in the box....

• C... and Abby2112 like this

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Abby - you aren't a big fan, and no-one who voted for you after reading your post is, either.

I'm a big Rush fan. The genuine article. I've shivered for hours in the snow, queuing up to buy tickets for the Tour of the Hemispheres. I spent two consecutive nights in sub-zero conditions waiting for the first train in a grim railway station in the North-East of England, because the roads were too icy for my parents to pick me up from AFTK (that's "A Farewell To Kings", you probably won't have known that) tour concerts at Newcastle City Hall. I've bought every album since All The World's A Stage (that's the band's first live album) on the day it was released.

And because - unlike yourself - I'm a genuine fan, I don't need to validate my credentials as such by winning some superficial competition on the Internet. I have too much dignity to grovel for a bass guitar by pretending to be something that I'm not, or to beg for votes on an Internet forum that I don't otherwise take part in.

But by all means come back to us in another forty years or so.

• Bones likes this

#14 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Now you're just sounding like a bitter, old bastard. 

• Moving Target and Abby2112 like this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#15 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

I've been a fan since 1977 and would never dream of doing anything as tawdry as this.

Being a fan since 1977 does not entitle me to front row seats, meet the band or get a bass guitar. Heck, I wouldn't even want to meet the band or get a bass guitar. However I have twice had front row seats by getting online in good time when tickets went on sale and buying the bloody things.

They've taught you life lessons? How? They're a bloody rock band, they taught me to drink booze, take drugs and shag shallow vacuous chicks called Abby. Not worth crowing about is it?

You're just a noob and so's yer fatha.

Now FOAD, after you've helped the poor, or done something worthwhile.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Abby - you aren't a big fan, and no-one who voted for you after reading your post is, either.

I'm a big Rush fan. The genuine article. I've shivered for hours in the snow, queuing up to buy tickets for the Tour of the Hemispheres. I spent two consecutive nights in sub-zero conditions waiting for the first train in a grim railway station in the North-East of England, because the roads were too icy for my parents to pick me up from AFTK (that's "A Farewell To Kings", you probably won't have known that) tour concerts at Newcastle City Hall. I've bought every album since All The World's A Stage (that's the band's first live album) on the day it was released.

And because - unlike yourself - I'm a genuine fan, I don't need to validate my credentials as such by winning some superficial competition on the Internet. I have too much dignity to grovel for a bass guitar by pretending to be something that I'm not, or to beg for votes on an Internet forum that I don't otherwise take part in.

Even Geddy's not as tone-deaf as this post.

• Abby2112 likes this

#17 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

and no-one who voted for you after reading your post is, either.

On what basis, exactly?

This outhta' be good.....

#18 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Wow, what a pompous asshole. 

Pay them no mind, Abby.  You rock. 

Voted.  Good luck.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

I've been a fan since 1977 and would never dream of doing anything as tawdry as this.

Being a fan since 1977 does not entitle me to front row seats, meet the band or get a bass guitar. Heck, I wouldn't even want to meet the band or get a bass guitar. However I have twice had front row seats by getting online in good time when tickets went on sale and buying the bloody things.

They've taught you life lessons? How? They're a bloody rock band, they taught me to drink booze, take drugs and shag shallow vacuous chicks called Abby. Not worth crowing about is it?

You're just a noob and so's yer fatha.

Now FOAD, after you've helped the poor, or done something worthwhile.

Old Nick good. New Nick asshole.

• Abby2112 likes this

#20 Abby2112

Abby2112

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

Wow, what a pompous asshole. 

Pay them no mind, Abby.  You rock. 

Voted.  Good luck.

thank you :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users