fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

^^^
Me three

Alex is a major force in the music and songwriting.

#42 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

A brilliant example of a change of singer that worked brilliantly for me is Marillion, with Fish being replaced by Steve Hogarth. I love most of the stuff they did after Hogarth joined and they became a much more interesting band. The Fish-era Marillion leaves me cold.

I saw him with his old band The Europeans at freshers week at uni in 1983. He sang backing vocals and played piano.  He was a madman, pulling down bits of the false ceiling and letting off a CO2 extinguisher.

#43 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

I don't think your first point is true at all. You could get someone to play Alex' guitar parts more successfully than you could get someone to imitate Geddy's voice, yes. But it's not just playing them; you have to come up with them first. I always thought of Alex as the most critically important member and his playing style is as distinctive as that of either of his rhythm section, to me.

I think the worst transition was when Geddy died and they replaced him with that bloke with the smaller nose who can't hit the high notes or indeed even enunciate the words.

#44 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Personally I think Rush is indivisible. I couldn't pick any one of them as uniquely important. For me, Geddy's voice (which is solid) was never the draw. His frenetic bass playing, Neil's frenetic drumming, Neil's lyrics, and Alex's melodic guitar synergize to make them far and away my favorite.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#45 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

Blaze Bailey in Maiden. Ugh.

falconext.png

#46 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

Blaze Bailey in Maiden. Ugh.

falconext.png

#47 Schmoo

Schmoo

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:14 AM

Geddy's voice is what drew me first too. He's irreplaceable. They all are. As for AC/DC, they were significantly better with Brian Johnson.

#48 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:58 AM

I don't think your first point is true at all. You could get someone to play Alex' guitar parts more successfully than you could get someone to imitate Geddy's voice, yes. But it's not just playing them; you have to come up with them first. I always thought of Alex as the most critically important member and his playing style is as distinctive as that of either of his rhythm section, to me.

You can believe what you want but that doesn't make it so. For the average Rush fan, which probably isn't anyone on this message board or any other Rush boards, Geddy's voice is what makes Rush for good or bad. 

^^^
Me three

Alex is a major force in the music and songwriting.

I'm not talking about music or songwriting. Simply playing and singing. Hindsight blah blah.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#49 Schmoo

Schmoo

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:03 AM

As usual, MrSkeptic is just wrong :)

#50 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

A lot of the judgement regarding a new singer depends upon when you first got into the band itself.  For me a good example would be Iced Earth...I began really listening to them about three years ago when they were on their Dystopia tour and the singer was (current singer) Stu Block.  One of my friends who is a long-time fan much prefers Matt Barlow who was the singer during much of the band's early existence.  I think Barlow does a good job but I just like Stu Block better, probably because that's the sound I associate with the band.  

#51 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

Anthrax - Original singer Neil Turbin (meh), to the Classic Era with Joey Belladonna (very good but with mixed results), to their 90's run with John Bush (awesome for one album, then meh), back to Belladonna (AWESOME).

Anthrax's new album For All King's just dropped last week and it's fantastic!  I loved the last one as well, but this one is more METAL.  Belladonna is doing the best work of his career on these two albums!

#52 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Anthrax - Original singer Neil Turbin (meh), to the Classic Era with Joey Belladonna (very good but with mixed results), to their 90's run with John Bush (awesome for one album, then meh), back to Belladonna (AWESOME).

Anthrax's new album For All King's just dropped last week and it's fantastic! I loved the last one as well, but this one is more METAL. Belladonna is doing the best work of his career on these two albums!

I saw them open for Maiden 10 years ago. Good show. Was that John Bush?

#53 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I saw them open for Maiden 10 years ago. Good show. Was that John Bush?

Not sure.  They did a few reunion tours with Belladonna along the way, and I probably wasn't paying much attention to them 10 years ago.  I liked them in the 80's with Belladonna, but the album quality steadily diminished during that phase.  I loved Sound Of White Noise with Bush in 1993, but again the next few weren't very good.  They fell off my radar for years, and I took a renewed interest when Belladonna rejoined full time.  They're at a musical highpoint these past 5-6 years, it's shame they aren't getting as much notice as their new material deserves.  Back to back killer albums.

#54 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

Seems that AC/DC is going to wrap up this tour with a different singer...

Brian Johnson is having hearing trouble. Has been advised to stop touring, else risk total hearing loss.

falconext.png

#55 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

^^^ in these days of in-ear monitors there's no reason for that. I can't believe how low my band's stage volume is.

Hey...where's Perry?

#56 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

^^^ in these days of in-ear monitors there's no reason for that. I can't believe how low my band's stage volume is.

Yes. Look at Rush. The only sounds coming off that stage last tour were drums.

#57 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

Just looked at a couple of pics of him.... some with ear monitors, some without. Sad, and mostly avoidable.

falconext.png

#58 Gandalf

Gandalf

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

No mention of Iron Maiden?

I much prefer the first two albums with D'Annio.

#59 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:02 AM

No mention of Iron Maiden?

Well, technically I didn't mention them. You kinda gotta look at the pictures....

Hey...where's Perry?

#60 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSenior Administrator of Hormone Division, Department of Puberty

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

Axl/DC?
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN