71 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

I'm conflicted about the transition from Jon Anderson to Trevor Horn for Yes. There is no way that Horn was as good as Anderson and he really struggled with the early material on the Drama tour. However I really enjoyed the Drama album where he was singing his own material.

The transition from Jon to the other imitators is just plain embarassing.

Fly From Here just feels like it was initially supposed to be a Horn record.  I'm half convinced that many of the vocal performances are his.

Would've been nice to see Trevor rejoin as a full time member.

#22 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Another WORST candidate:

#23 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:33 PM

Fly From Here just feels like it was initially supposed to be a Horn record.  I'm half convinced that many of the vocal performances are his.

#24 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Rainbow - Dio to Graham Bonnet. They gained commercial success but they became a lot more boring in the process.

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

It's gotta be him on Fly From Here.  This cinches it.

#26 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

Faith No More

Chuck Moseley : Yugo :: Mike Patton : Ferrari
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#27 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

No mention of Iron Maiden?
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#28 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:25 PM

Boston

Brad Delp   >  Fran Cosmo, et al.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#29 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

Sabbath went through some remarkable vocalist changes, Ian Gillan was a member at one time, so was Glenn Hughes.

Don't forget Tony "The Cat" Martin :)

I saw the Ian Gillan Black Sabbath - Smoke on the Water!!!!????!!!!! - also site of the Stonehenge incident...

Witchfynde were never the same after Magus was replaced by Chalkie White, I mean Luther Beltz...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

I like bands where more than one of the members regularly performs lead vocal duties. The Beatles for example, and 10CC. Oasis as well, and Pink Floyd. Keeps it interesting and varied.

One of the things I liked about (early) Chicago.  Peter Cetera, Terry Kath, Bob Lamm.  Even Lee Loughnane (trumpet) sang a couple of great tunes.

They're also an example of rocky transitions though.  Cetera was replaced with Jason Scheff, who is not really a very good singer.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#31 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

Hey...where's Perry?

#32 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

Rainbow - Dio to Graham Bonnet. They gained commercial success but they became a lot more boring in the process.

Yes, the MSG fans didn't like him that much either when he took over from Gary Barden. I thought he was a great singer but his image wasn't quite right for a hard rock band .. a chap with slicked-back short hair in a Hawaiian shirt who looks like he should have a pina colada in his left hand can't be singing lyrics like All eyes, see the figure of the wizard!

That said, I don't think it was his fault that Rainbow turned into a dollar-chasing pop-rock band. And I thought Joe Lynn Turner was far worse.

#33 Cygnify

Cygnify

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

Vive la diffĂ©rence!  It's funny, I have almost exactly the opposite opinion.  I adored Fish-era Marillion - would be a top ten band for me.  I tried really hard with H-era, and the songwriting just got so bland, and the magic was gone for me.  I actually didn't pick up several of their albums as I had lost interest.  I won't place all the blame on Hogarth though - the band just moved away from that neo-progressive thing that they had and went in a more accessible direction (I know there are exceptions.) that overall lost the appeal that the early stuff had for me.  

A brilliant example of a change of singer that worked brilliantly for me is Marillion, with Fish being replaced by Steve Hogarth. I love most of the stuff they did after Hogarth joined and they became a much more interesting band. The Fish-era Marillion leaves me cold.

#34 Chris Christie

Chris Christie

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ. For now.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Journey. Steve Perry to that other guy. Then to that other guy.  Losers the last 2. 

#35 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

Dream Theater; Charlie Dominici to James LaBrie. Major improvement.
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#36 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have to give "Most Seamless Transition" to Ghost

Papa Emeritus II really picked up right where Papa Emeritus I left off.

#37 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

James mentioned transitions and bands with multiple singers, and I can't help but think of Spock's Beard.

A lot of their stuff involves vocal harmony from pretty much the entire band, though they always have one clearly defined lead.

Nick was alright.  He is probably more in the "failure" column than not, because he had a different tone than Neal.  He could hit the notes, but it didn't sound like he had the same feeling behind them, and for some of those early songs the feeling was more important than the melody.
The new stuff they wrote FOR Nick, however, took advantage of the more aggressive hard-rock sneer to his voice, and I think I actually like a few of those (like when they almost sounded like prog-grunge).

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#38 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

This thread points out why Geddy is (was) the most crucial member of RUSH. You could get a lot of people to play the drums as well as, or maybe even a little better than Neil and a lot of people could do the same on guitar for Alex. But I don't think anyone can replace that iconic voice.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

I don't think your first point is true at all. You could get someone to play Alex' guitar parts more successfully than you could get someone to imitate Geddy's voice, yes. But it's not just playing them; you have to come up with them first. I always thought of Alex as the most critically important member and his playing style is as distinctive as that of either of his rhythm section, to me.

#40 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

^^^ I'm in that camp too.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users