#21 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'm not so sure that helps them if we have to "help them get over it". There is a massive sense of entitlement amongst millennials and only a dose of real world reality will help them readjust their expectations; they need to fix it. There is no soft landing. Now granted, they have been lied to (Hemi's point that seems to be relevant in a roundabout way) that any degree is a golden ticket to live like the Kardashians. But there is an incredible number of poor choices being made that won't fix this any time soon.

And calling out your CEO publicly certainly ain't the way to do it.

I remember a time when I was doing a MSc as a mature student.  I spoke to a group of undergrads. I told that their degree will carry them into the interview room and that's all, that's the absolute limit of what it will do for them, and after that they have to keep proving themselves again and again.  All of them looked shocked.  That was in 1994.

• grep, chemistry1973, GhostWriter and 2 others like this

#22 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

I think your industry is unique in that there is a proper apprenticeship process in place. Assuming you're still in healthcare that is.

There are requirements for education and field work, yes. As such, a graduate has actual job skills.

I think thats true of many technical jobs.

I think our generation encourages the future generation to find it's passion in life and seek it. Work to live rather than live to work like we did. I'm thinking that may have always been such a good thing.

I think the key here is moderation. FInd a job that you won't loathe, because it appeals to some part of you. You like biology like I do? Try health care. You like people? You hate people? Find a job that lets you work in an office.

You can "do what you love" and work is still work. You might love it less when its your job. You will love it even less when you can't find said job or you can't pay your rent.

Whats more, its easier to do what you love for fun when you have discretionary income.

• Moving Target likes this

one dog shy of a crazy dog lady...

10372070_10208404765103125_8737333802112

#23 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

2 user(s) are reading this topic