24 replies to this topic

#1 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Just got myself a copy of a book I'm mentioned in.  It's the latest entry in David Weber's Honorverse series of books, House of Steel. http://www.amazon.co...eel david weber

I haven't been able to mention much about what I've been doing for the last several years, but I'm with a group of Honorverse fans called BuNine who has been doing background technical stuff and art for David Weber.  It's not much - just a homepage, but here's a link to BuNine's website that will explain a bit better about who we are and what we do: http://www.bunine.org/

I figure since the book is on sale now, I can at least talk about me being mentioned in it, and a bit about what I've done/am doing for BuNine.  None of my work is actually *in* the book, since I do 3D modeling for them and they wanted a consistent look for the artwork (all of which is 2D stuff), but I'm listed in there as a "contributing artist" and I have a short bio (in which I mention Rush) where I'm considered a "virtual builder", because I basically "build" (in Blender, a 3D modeling program) some of the ships and weapons that are prominent in the books.

For those too lazy to look the series up for themselves, it's basically military science fiction, where the main character, Honor Harrington, is directly modeled on both C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower character and the real life Admiral Horatio Nelson of the Royal Navy.  Weber designed his ships with the idea that tactics would be similar to the old wet navy age-of-sail sea battles, with broadsides and even "sails" of a sort.  Including the main storyline, two "spin-off" storylines, and now six anthologies of short stories written by both Weber and other authors (Eric Flint, Jane Linskold, John Ringo, and others), there are over 20 books in the series.  Two novels are Young Adult books written by Linskold - A Beautiful Friendship (an expanded novel of the short story of the same title by Jane and David in one of the anthologies) and its current follow-up, Fire Season.  The third book in the YA series will be out some time later this year or next year and is called The Treecat Wars.

November 1-3, I will be in Greenville, South Carolina for HonorCon ( http://honorcon.com/ ), where many of the BuNine memebrs will be, and I'll finally get to meet Weber personally.  I believe at that time, I will be getting another copy of the book, but this one will be signed by all available BuNine members and Weber.  I'll probably take the copy I got in the mail today with me for an additional signature and will send it to my daughter, who cited the Honorverse in her Master's Thesis last month.

If anyone thinks they might want to read any of the books, let me know through PM.  I have all of them up to Mission of Honor (the latest mainline book - there's an anthology and a side book not available yet) in various e-reader formats on CDs (including .rtf, which you should be able to convert with any decent free e-reader format converter software) that came with MoH, and it says right on the disc, "This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold.  All commercial rights reserved".  There are a couple of books that can't be read on the disc because some glue from the cd envelope got onto the disc.  I just got a Disc Doctor and will try to clean it up and hopefully make those available as well.

So, yeah... I guess that's it for now.

Oh, wait... one more thing: http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

and:  http://forums.davidw...php?f=17&t=3948

Happy to announce that Evergreen Films, the company producing the upcoming Honor Harrington movie, will be our Media Guests. They are planning a two-hour presentation about the movie and several panels throughout the weekend!

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Gena
Co-Chair of HonorCon

• chemistry1973 and C... like this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#2 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Cool !!!  :)

Proud Knobhead

#3 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hey, that's cool!

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#4 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Congrats!

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#5 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Awesomesauce!

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#6 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Excellent stuff MQ. :)   Build on!!

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#7 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Thanks, everyone.  I'm actually meeting my "boss" in two weeks for the first time (even though I've been working for him for about 7 years).  He and I have only ever communicated through email, but he's going to be here in Columbus for Origins, a gaming convention, and we're getting together for lunch before his 1:00 D&D game.

I wish I could show you all some of what I've done, but NDAs tend to get in the way of that.  On the last iteration of this board, I had posted some stuff I had done *before* I joined BuNine (and hence, was fair game for plastering all over the internet), so maybe this weekend, I might try to dig up the old renders and post them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#8 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Congrats, old man!

#9 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

Very impressive, must be gratifying to see your hard work turn into something published.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#10 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Cool. The Carolinas are a popular area for these types of cons. Have fun!

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#11 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

Cool. The Carolinas are a popular area for these types of cons. Have fun!

Well, in this case, David Weber lives in Greenville, and since it's called "HonorCon" after his most popular character...

He likes going to Cons, but I'm sure he appreciates it when it only takes him a few minutes to get there and back home again.

#12 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Anyone ask for autographs yet?    :D

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#13 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

No, but I have a Sharpie standing by.  :lol:

• Bones likes this

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Very Cool, Maxx! YES-2.gif

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#15 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Good one Maxx! :D

#16 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

Okay, so the "boss" finally got around to working up something I can post here to show what I'm doing for BuNine.  Not just the pic he knocked out for me, but I can also post other renders.  For now, I'll just post the main one.  I need to organize a few things here and change gears in my mind, since I'm currently working on a completely different ship.

So, without further ado, I give you the Mk-28 Condor:

Attached File  Mk28 Condor.jpg   153.72K   7 downloads

Edit:  My work is that in the middle.

• C... likes this

#17 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Here's a few other renders:

Attached Files

#18 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Something new to show.  Kinda not really book related, but then again, it kinda is.

Anyway, finally got around to attempting to make a video, and I don't think I did too bad of a job at it, considering it's my first ever publicly shown video.

#19 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

I was watching the Rush in Rio dvd clip  of YYZ while watching this clip.   What a great fit!

:lol:

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#20 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

Just got back from HonorCon a few hours ago, and must say I had a ton o' fun.  My hotel (Hyatt Regency smack in the middle of Greenville, SC) roomie held the distinction of being the farthest travelled to get to the con - he is from Melbourne, Australia.  He's a member of BuNine as well.  We also had several other BuNine members there, including one from Germany.  Other attendees were from various other places - two from the Czech Republic, several from England, etc.

So, anyway, I expected to be signing complimentary copies of the books that the BuNine members received, as we all did that.  What was surprising was when con attendees started searching for us to get us to sign *their* copies.  Very flattering.  About 250 attendees total, when we were expecting 200, which enabled the con to donate over $3000 to the charity "Heroes for Children" ( www.heroesforchildren.org )

Meeting David Weber was at once a thrill and a laugh, as when I was introduced to him, the first thing he said was, "He looks like one of the t-shirt sellers."  Okay...  Despite that hiccup, he had nothing but praise for us in BuNine, and wanted to stress to other con attendees that they should talk to us if they had any technical questions.

The panels I was on (Art- Designing Starships and Art- Form vs. Function) went well, if somewhat low in attendance.  It was kind of understandable, though, as ours were up against other panels dealing with more technical aspects of the Honorverse that people are more interested in.  In a way, I was glad for the low attendance, since I was nervous as hell, not liking to be up in front of people.  Still, they went well and I didn't make a fool of myself and will probably do it again at next years HonorCon. 

One of the highlights of the whole trip actually occurred after the con was over.  On Monday, David Weber invited the members of BuNine who were still around to go to a shooting range and fire some of his weapons, as well as those of his assistant, and some from the owners of the range and gun shop.  I hadn't fired anything since 1986 when I was in the Air Force (M-16/AR-15), so I was happy to go.  Included in the group were the German and the two from the Czech Republic.  I fired a couple of 9mm handguns, a custom-made .308 sniper rifle (one of the sons of the owner of the gun shop/range is a former soldier and he now makes custom weapons), an AK-47 (*not* a full-auto) and a Remington Bushmaster BA50 Carbine with a scope http://www.weaponsva.../tag/bushmaster 

We each only got one shot with the .50, and I was happy I managed to hit the edge of the orange at 25 yards.

I'll put up some pics from the con and the range when I get them off my phone.  Might even post the video of me firing the .50 - maybe.

So, now that House of Steel seems to have sold well, we are starting to gear up for House of Lies (which will include more art from myself - hopefully), and there's also talk of an anthology of Honorverse stories written solely by members of BuNine (not me - I'm definitely not a writer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users