Photo

Transgenderism

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Transgenderism (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it really possible to transition from one gender to another?

1. Yes (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

I think there are some creatures on this planet that have the ability to change their sex..

Just not humans.

#22 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

I think there are some creatures on this planet that have the ability to change their sex..

Just not humans.

Muslims?

#23 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

TG prisoners present the prison staff with unique challenges. If a TG woman-to-man conversion commits a crime, where do you put him - in a male or female jail?  If he is pre-op, where?  If he is post-op, where then?

#24 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

Slim, you're treating gender and sex as interchangeable terms (see survey question versus initial post).  I think that's where you're going wrong. 

• fenderjazz, Hundred Names, RushDoggie and 2 others like this

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Yes, I do think of them more or less as interchangeable. Not convinced I've gone wrong, there.

#26 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

Yes, I do think of them more or less as interchangeable. Not convinced I've gone wrong, there.

In your head, is someone born with opposing but identically developed sex organs male or female?

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#27 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

In your head, is someone born with opposing but identically developed sex organs male or female?

Obviously he's talking about an adult or young adult that transitions from one gender to the other. He's not talking about hermaphrodism
  • Slim likes this

#28 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

I wonder what effect traumatic life events have on these people. I grew up with a kid who was as typical boy as you could imagine up through junior high. Athletic, academically gifted and a pretty good guitarist for a 14-yr old. Then his folks split up and it just totally fucked him up. I couldn't believe the difference which seemed to happen overnight. He wound up graduating a year late, and the last I saw him was in summer '87, jamming with a band next a pizza place I was at.

About a year ago I found him on Facebook. He is now Jennifer and from what I've learned, has made the full surgical jump to be in female. I checked his friend list and there wasn't one single person from our childhood, so I didn't send the request. I figured he was trying to separate the two phases of his/her life. I think back to the divorce in '83 and wonder what that triggered.

Hey...where's Perry?

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

I wonder what effect traumatic life events have on these people. I grew up with a kid who was as typical boy as you could imagine up through junior high. Athletic, academically gifted and a pretty good guitarist for a 14-yr old. Then his folks split up and it just totally fucked him up. I couldn't believe the difference which seemed to happen overnight. He wound up graduating a year late, and the last I saw him was in summer '87, jamming with a band next a pizza place I was at.

About a year ago I found him on Facebook. He is now Jennifer and from what I've learned, has made the full surgical jump to be in female. I checked his friend list and there wasn't one single person from our childhood, so I didn't send the request. I figured he was trying to separate the two phases of his/her life. I think back to the divorce in '83 and wonder what that triggered.

I wonder if Jennifer feels normal since her operation.  I try to avoid being cynical when talking about this stuff, but does an operation like that somehow psychologically change someone for the better?  It must require years of therapy, if not ongoing for the rest of her life.

How does one finally "feel" like a woman or man?  I wonder if much of the drive that comes with changing sexes is imaginary - one's perception of what it's like to be another sex entirely.

#30 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

I think that's a special case - and I suspect extremely rare within what's known as transgenderism. To answer the question for the sake of interest though, I think I'd say both.

#31 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

I wonder if Jennifer feels normal since her operation.  I try to avoid being cynical when talking about this stuff, but does an operation like that somehow psychologically change someone for the better?  It must require years of therapy, if not ongoing for the rest of her life.

Good question. In the interview I referred to at the top of the thread, the guy who was now living as a woman (not sure if he'd had an operation or not) spoke of it as like emerging into light, he was clearly very happy about it and it seemed to have removed a lot of internal conflict for him. Good for him, in those circumstances I think he's done the right thing and I don't begrudge him his dress, lipstick, fake breasts and the rest of it for a moment. I'm not going to pretend he's a woman though or refer to him as "she" just for the sake of his feelings.

#32 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

More or less in agreement with the OP.  I'd add this:

1.  In the last century (into the late 1990s at least), the public sentiment was cruel towards people who were transgendered or who felt like they were in the wrong body.  This cruelty exacerbated the pain experienced by such individuals.

2.  In this century, the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.  Public opinion seems to be coalescing on the fantasy that switching genders is as simple as a few surgical snips, a few hormones, and having the right attitude.  The sad part is that too many people get their hopes up, have a procedure, and still feel miserable.

Bottom line, some people are born with a very confused gender, and we should treat those people with kindness and sympathy, not cruelty or false hope.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#33 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

I'll go a step further - we should all learn to treat everyone equally.

Life is just too fucking short.

• Hundred Names likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#34 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

wrong thread.

#35 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

I'll go a step further - we should all learn to treat everyone equally.

Bollocks to that.

Fans of NuRush should be treated with complete and utter contempt. To the ghetto with them!

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

There are a couple stories out there where parents, noticing that little 4 year old Steven likes pink and plays with dolls, dresses their child as a girl, grows the kids hair long and starts transitioning their kid before he can tie his shoes.

#37 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

There's a famous one where an unfortunate child has his penis removed in a medical accident, and his parents attempt to bring him up as a girl. Just googled it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-11814300

If nothing else it shows that you can't necessarily "transition" someone to a different gender just by treating them like one. Brenda had the same problem that transgender people face, except that the gender he strongly identified with was actually genuine in his case.

#38 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

There are a couple stories out there where parents, noticing that little 4 year old Steven likes pink and plays with dolls, dresses their child as a girl, grows the kids hair long and starts transitioning their kid before he can tie his shoes.

That's weird. Lot's of kids both boys and girls explore both sides before they settle in. It's part of figuring out who they are.... I guess I can understand a parent directing, but they probably shouldn't.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#39 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

Obviously he's talking about an adult or young adult that transitions from one gender to the other. He's not talking about hermaphrodism

He said:

"Pretending that terms like man, woman, female, male and so on have an optional definition is sheer politically correct inanity."

followed by an admission that gender and sex are the same to him.

These are superficial and limited definitions. I think transgenderism is far too nuanced and has too many unknowns to simplify it to that degree.

Thus, the only one qualified to decide is one is a he or she or what have you, regardless of what they were brought up as is the individual...I'm not really sure what makes that an issue or "too PC."

• Hundred Names likes this

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#40 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

There's a famous one where an unfortunate child has his penis removed in a medical accident, and his parents attempt to bring him up as a girl. Just googled it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-11814300

If nothing else it shows that you can't necessarily "transition" someone to a different gender just by treating them like one. Brenda had the same problem that transgender people face, except that the gender he strongly identified with was actually genuine in his case.

No, I can't transition someone for them they have to do it for themselves.

• A Rebel and a Runner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users