309 replies to this topic

#41 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

Another dry afternoon, not too cold, a little bit blowy. I did the Extended Lunch Break Route Avoiding Heather Lane. 12.77 miles.

244 this year, 25 this month.

Just noticed that it's a leap year .. I suppose that gives me a slender advantage over last year. But I'm 128 miles ahead of myself this time last year already.

#42 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hit-and-run in Nottingham.  The Volvo driver got away with a fine and points on his licence.

#43 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hit-and-run in Nottingham.  The Volvo driver got away with a fine and points on his licence.

All because it was a rental car and it couldn't be sure who was driving it. What a crock of shit. It's about time honesty was made mandatory.

I managed to get out for a few miles yesterday afternoon, but got caught up in bloody traffic because it was chucking out time at the local infant's school and all the mummy's had come to drive their kids 150 yards home. Bitches.

• Moving Target likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Today's weather

weather6feb.png

Thanks a lot! But at least the Sun remains above the horizon until 5pm as of today.

#45 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Today's weather

weather6feb.png

Thanks a lot! But at least the Sun remains above the horizon until 5pm as of today.

Not in Chez Vegas :(

#46 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

All because it was a rental car and it couldn't be sure who was driving it. What a crock of shit.

It's almost a license to murder.

#47 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

Had enough time today to do my "nursery" course of five miles. Was going to step up to my "infants" course of 7.5 miles, but I forgot to put my gloves on and I couldn't manage to drop down to the small chain ring to get uphill.

Still, I got my quickest time of the year for it, despite the cold wind and I must be getting a bit fitter as my average heart-rate was 160 as against 165. However I won't know my heart rate stats again as the HRM packed up as soon as I got home. Battery changes and system resets - and giving the strap a wash - have all failed so back to Amazon it goes. Which is a shame as I was enjoying using it. hopefully the replacement will work better. The GPS on the Garmin Vivoactive was certainly better than that on my phone and getting heart rate stats were useful, Good job I've not yet bought the cadence sensor

I was also enjoying syncing it with Strava to see how I compare over various segments with other cyclists. Reasonably well seeing as most folk out at this time of the year are cycling club members.

#48 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Had enough time today to do my "nursery" course of five miles. Was going to step up to my "infants" course of 7.5 miles, but I forgot to put my gloves on and I couldn't manage to drop down to the small chain ring to get uphill.

Still, I got my quickest time of the year for it, despite the cold wind and I must be getting a bit fitter as my average heart-rate was 160 as against 165. However I won't know my heart rate stats again as the HRM packed up as soon as I got home. Battery changes and system resets - and giving the strap a wash - have all failed so back to Amazon it goes. Which is a shame as I was enjoying using it. hopefully the replacement will work better. The GPS on the Garmin Vivoactive was certainly better than that on my phone and getting heart rate stats were useful, Good job I've not yet bought the cadence sensor

I was also enjoying syncing it with Strava to see how I compare over various segments with other cyclists. Reasonably well seeing as most folk out at this time of the year are cycling club members.

Strewth, no wonder you're so quick!  I try to hold mine to 120-130 bpm on the flat.

#49 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Strewth, no wonder you're so quick!  I try to hold mine to 120-130 bpm on the flat.

I'm not going very quickly at the moment...

#50 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

A dry afternoon for a change give or take the odd puddle, and those dribbles of water that seem to cross the roads of NW Leics like shallow streams. I did the Belton Figure Of Eight in reverse, which turned out to be a poor decision because I had to fight what felt like hurricane gales on the exposed part of Ashby Road between Belton and Griffydam. I'd actually started to feel sick with exertion by the time I turned left toward Peggs Green.

15.87 miles. Only 41 miles done this month so far, I might try to boost the February tally with a couple of night rides.

260 this year.

#51 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

I took this pic from the air a minute or so after taking off from East Midlands Airport in June, bound for Montenegro. Since many of my cycling routes pass through the area shown to the right, I thought I'd post it here.

I identified the terrain and features on the ground by careful reference to Google Earth :)

nw_leics_by_air.jpg

#52 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

A sunny day albeit a bit cold and blowy. I did the regular lunchtime route through Packington, Heather and Swepstone in reverse. 12.74 miles. I took a late lunch and set off at 3:30 - nice that I can do that without taking lights now; the daytime hours are expanding nicely.

I only noticed that I wasn't wearing cycling shorts after 9 miles. But fear not; I wasn't naked from the waist down. I did have my cycling leggings on.

54 miles this month, 273 this year.

#53 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

I judged that conditions were dry enough for an excursion on the road bike, so it got its first outing since November (EDIT actually I checked, Dec 5th was the last time it had a run out). Did the Belton FO8. 15.45 miles. Really nice out there, sunny and relatively calm.

#54 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Did the usual lunchtime route, very slightly extended by indecision and faffing. 13.17. That's 82.44 this month, 301.67 this year. And 3004 miles since I started cycling in earnest at the start of last year.

Chilly easterly wind threatened for tomorrow but no rain, so I shall do my Saturday 25 miler all being well.

#55 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

I did the Saturday 25 miler with a mild hangover, but that only made the cold breeze in my face more refreshing. Took the road bike out - I'd adjusted the seat forward a couple of cm and lowered it a touch in the hope that I'd be putting a bit less weight on my wrists, but I don't think it made a lot of difference.

Two WPCs on horseback smiled very pleasantly coming the other way as I approached Twycross.

Very, very annoyingly since I've managed to protect the Boardman from precipitation so far, and despite my assertion in my previous post, it started raining lightly just after I turned northward through Sheepy Magna. I'd been having an excellent time until then, but cold drizzle blowing onto my face and making my legs damp (not to mention the bike) was a real downer for the next few miles. By the time I was north of Ibstock though, the rain had dried up. It hadn't rained at all at home apparently, so if I'd planned a route to the north instead of the south, I'd have avoided the rain altogether.

As I neared Market Bosworth I saw something suspicious to the left of the road .. I stopped for a moment to see what was happening. Three blokes in smart hunting clothing were loitering in a field. A couple of minutes later, two rabbits or hares ran across the same field. I could hear dogs in the distance. I do hope I wasn't watching hare coursing.

I gave the bike a good rub down and a judicious application of GT85 to repel moisture once I got home. I gave the chain a good seeing to so I'll relube it before I go out on it again.

Anyway, 25.6 miles. 108 so far this month despite the weather and 327 this year.

#56 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Graduated from my nursery five mile circuit to my infants 7.25 mile circuit today. Did it more quickly than my first run round it last year. Which was nice.

What wasn't nice was having my attempt at a quick time on the Strava segment Flash Past the Crem completely kiboshed.  It's a nice mile long gentle descent which has been into the wind every other time I've been out this year, but today was a nice North Easter following wind. However despite the road being a 40 limit, it has a speed camera on it. Consequently all the dumbass idiots who ignore road signage go down the hill at 30. Today I didn't get above 29. Thanks old woman from over the road 

#57 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

I did the Saturday 25 miler with a mild hangover, but that only made the cold breeze in my face more refreshing. Took the road bike out - I'd adjusted the seat forward a couple of cm and lowered it a touch in the hope that I'd be putting a bit less weight on my wrists, but I don't think it made a lot of difference.

I suggest making one 5mm adjustment (saddle height, seat position, or headset height) then riding.  If it feels better, make the next adjustment.  It took me over a year to get mine right and I still feel I should have gone for the 61cm frame instead of the 58cm.

#58 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

Because I'm 6'2" with a 34" inside leg I went for the "L" frame (though not the "XL"). I wonder if I should have gone a size lower. I read somewhere that in your riding position, as a rough guideline you should have the handlebar joint and the front axle in your sight line as you look down. My line of sight is a few inches behind that.

#59 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Here's a terrific old film about a cycling outing to Warks, Leics and Northamptonshire on the train from London, in 1955

http://player.bfi.or...s-special-1956/

Not a cycle helmet in sight, but plenty of bryclreem.

#60 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Planned a 19 mile route down to Markfield through Ibstock and back through Copt Oak. Beautiful day, cold, but sunny.

Somehow I got lost south of Bagworth, just like I did last time I did this route over the Xmas hols. It seems to be NW Leicestershire's Bermuda Triangle. Anyway I followed signs to Thornton, past the reservoir there and found Markfield easily enough from there. Lovely trip out. I picked up a few flecks of snow or possibly light hail coming out of Markfield, but not enough to dampen my spirits. Or indeed the bike.

It's actually snowing quite hard here now so that was pretty good timing (I got back about an hour ago).

23.23 miles, 131 this month, 351 this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users